Do I need a fletching jig to replace veins?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Do I need a fletching jig to replace vanes?

I just ripped a vane off one of my arrows by hitting it with a second arrow (So go me for good groupings)

I do not have a fletching jig

Do I need one to replace the vanes? Or does it just make it easier?

I have never done this before at all. The entire vane replacement will be my first time

It looks relatively easy on YouTube. But YouTube also makes replacing the clutch in a E36 BMW look easy. (Spoiler...it is not)

Any recommendations on good replacement vanes or supplies? I do back yard target shooting with a compound bow. Nothing fancy. Not taking super long distance shots. My shots are anywhere from 30 to 50 ft.

Also is it worth doing this instead of just buying new arrows? These are carbon fiber arrows and seem nice. They shoot great. I'd prefer to keep them. But the veins on all of them are starting to show age.

Last edited:

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I've re-fletched vanes with varying success. I picked up a simple one (<$10) and used super glue. Again results may vary.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have a kit for re fletching vanes I put together years ago. I dont have the expensive tool bracket though. Mine is plastic and folds over the new vane and you put glue on it and use the clamp that comes with it to hold in place. It also depends if your vanes are straight and that is fairly simple. You can cut a piece of cardboard about 5" long x 2" wide. Fold it in half. Put the vane into it with just the edge exposed where you put glue. Push onto the arrow shaft and remove cardboard after it starts to set. If you have a right of left helical slant on your vanes than you should use a jig. Super Glue works fine like noted above by other member.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    If it's just one you can do it, if it's all 3 you definitely need the jig. Make sure you get the same fletching and put it back in the exact same spot. It's not necessarily the best way, but it can be done!

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    There are alternative to replacing vanes that you should try too. Like wraps or the 3D printed vanes. I heard good reviews from them.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If there is a 3D printed jig, let me know. I have some vanes on some good bolts I've ripped off an have the replacements but never put them on.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    If your plan is to shoot regular you should get a jig, it'll save a lot of money. You can get something like 100 vanes for $20 from places like Lancaster Archery. For a jig I use an Arizona EZ Fletch and can replace just 1 vane or all of them at one time. It really is easy if you clean the shaft good and take your time running the bead of glue. When finished I always added a drop of glue to the leading end of the vane to help keep them from being sheared off. The Arizona Jig comes in Left, Right Helical or Straight to match what your using

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If your plan is to shoot regular you should get a jig, it'll save a lot of money.
    Agreed. I have several Bitzenberger jigs (hi tech at the time) and they have paid for themselves over and over.
    You can get something like 100 vanes for $20 from places like Lancaster Archery.
    Is that the old 'Bowhunters Discount Warehouse'? I recall them being somewhere up that way before they closed/renamed.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got one of the $30 jigs off Amazon. Use gel super glue. It's very easy, though I only do it for practice arrows, not the ones in my hunting quiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom