• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    i got a new 458 socom upper with BCG included. Rock River Arms. it came with a film/grease coating almost.. not sure how to descbribe it but it wasn't "lube" feeling.

ANYWAY.. i lubed it up and tested it w/ snap caps. All seemed fine. I took it to the range and seems fine with one exception.. i have to mortar almost every round out after shooting OR.. keep shooting to clear the magazine.

no pressures signs on the brass but MAN is it hard to pull back that BCG.

At $2/round.. i dont want to put 400 rounds thru it to break it in and THEN have a normal functioning firearm.. any thoughts?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The internet idiot that started the firearm break-in rumors should be found and strung up by his sack with piano wire.

In four decades of gun ownership and shooting, I've never owned a gun that required an X number of rounds break-in period before reliability was achieved.

If a gun won't function properly, starting with the first shot, there's something terribly wrong with the gun.

If break-in rumors were true, think of how many self defense firearms would be worthless until the owner sent ten boxes of ammunition downrange first.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I concur.. off the bat, i would suspect a gas issue..... either over or under gassed. Since that is a "off caliber' gauging is dufficult....

I might try an adjustable gas block and play around with it, might find a fix that way.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The internet idiot that started the firearm break-in rumors should be found and strung up by his sack with piano wire.

In four decades of gun ownership and shooting, I've never owned a gun that required an X number of rounds break-in period before reliability was achieved.

If a gun won't function properly, starting with the first shot, there's something terribly wrong with the gun.

If break-in rumors were true, think of how many self defense firearms would be worthless until the owner sent ten boxes of ammunition downrange first.

took the words right out of my mouth. haha glad someone else feels as strongly about it as i do.

I loth the gun owners that buy a gun and ammo for self defense and never practice with that ammo. what if it feeds wrong.. etc etc. practice how you hunt/defend...

that being said; i'm still not sure what's going on with it. soak in more lube?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    OP,

You said the gun came with a film. Probably a rust/corrosion preventative of some sort.

Did you scrub all of that stuff out before lubricating? Preservative in the chamber may be causing the sticking cases.

The snap caps worked because the snap caps don't go boom. Once things went boom, the cases expanded in the chamber.

Scrub the chamber with acetone or lacquer thinner and retest.

PS: Are you saying you have to mortar live rounds out of the chamber? As in a pull of the charging handle won't extract them? Bullet ogive could be hanging up on the rifling if bullet is too far forward. Or the chamber finish reaming was a blonde hair too short. Allowing the mouth of the case to make contact/bottom out in the chamber.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

I dunno :shrug:

It took a few hundred rounds of ball before my RIA M1911A1 would start feeding hollow points reliably.

My TriStar Raptor ATAC's instructions from the manufacture recommend shooting at least 25 heavy loads through it initially.

In the past, I've read manufacturer's guidance on how to initially treat a new barrel via hot/cold cycling between strings of shots

Fouling a B.P. barrel results in more consistent shot groups.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    OP,

You said the gun came with a film. Probably a rust/corrosion preventative of some sort.

Did you scrub all of that stuff out before lubricating? Preservative in the chamber may be causing the sticking cases.

The snap caps worked because the snap caps don't go boom. Once things went boom, the cases expanded in the chamber.

Scrub the chamber with acetone or lacquer thinner and retest.

I put some cleaning solvent in there but i wasn't sure how to tell if it was good or good enough for govt work HAHAH (old/bad joke). But seriously. That.. makes sense. the entire thing (upper barrel etc etc) was coated in it.

maybe throw some "goof off" in there w/ a chamber brush? Goof off removes damn near everything i've put it on before though i didn' ttry it on the chamber.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Who's ammo? Some are known to cause issues in RRA barrels. A lot of people recommend polishing the RRA chambers too. They're known to be rough.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I put some cleaning solvent in there but i wasn't sure how to tell if it was good or good enough for govt work HAHAH (old/bad joke). But seriously. That.. makes sense. the entire thing (upper barrel etc etc) was coated in it.

maybe throw some "goof off" in there w/ a chamber brush? Goof off removes damn near everything i've put it on before though i didn' ttry it on the chamber.

I'd put brake cleaner in there and dissolve that stuff. Lube it well with motor oil and give it another go.

If it keeps doing it send it back.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    ANYWAY.. i lubed it up and tested it w/ snap caps. All seemed fine. I took it to the range and seems fine with one exception.. i have to mortar almost every round out after shooting OR.. keep shooting to clear the magazine.

no pressures signs on the brass but MAN is it hard to pull back that BCG.
    I'm very confused as to the behavior you're describing. Are you having trouble extracting _unfired_ rounds without mortaring, or are your fired rounds not extracting without mortaring?

The first problem is a chamber issue - rough or maybe dimensional. The second problem is a gas system issue - probably a loose gas block.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The gas system is working since he can dump a mag of ammo. Sounds like extracting a live unfired round is the problem. That's some sort of chamber/headspace/other issue. Where are the marks on the round you pull out?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Take upper off, BCG out, and slide a round into chamber. Insert cleaning rod from muzzle. Is there any resistance pushing the live round back out? Your looking to see if the bullet is jamming into the lands.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'd put brake cleaner in there and dissolve that stuff. Lube it well with motor oil and give it another go.

If it keeps doing it send it back.

I tried four rounds this weekend. The first one fed/fired with no problems just like before. The second round fed (first fed after round fired) and was TIGHT did NOT require a mortar to get out. I put in another round, fired and cycled. This one DID require a mortar to get out. It's getting better but still not great. Perhaps i didn't clean it well enough.

Shall i "soak" it in break cleaner? Thinking of getting a bucket. spraying it down and soaking it in the cleaner for a bit for those parts i can't reach. After .. 20 mintues??? take it out and lube it up w/ some motor oil.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Take upper off, BCG out, and slide a round into chamber. Insert cleaning rod from muzzle. Is there any resistance pushing the live round back out? Your looking to see if the bullet is jamming into the lands.

nice test. i got excited (scared) then realized it's disassembled and "can't fire". not going to put my face in front of the barrel either way but.. it's worth mentioning that there's no ejection issues if i just feed them from the magazine and pull them out w/ the charging handle.

the problem occurs after i SHOOT one, the follow up round sticks. it's similar to the stickiness of a mosin that has crap left on it.. or brass that's a little too long and makes a tight bolt on a bolt gun.

i might put marker marks on the bullet and put it in there, see if the marks are gone after feeding then do it again with a different round after firing the one before it.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    In my opinion this gun is not safe to continue firing you need to get it checked out.

ya... the more i'm thinking about it.. the more i realize "i'm holding an explosion in my hand, trying to control it".

$50 trip to the gun smith is cheaper than a hospital visit or funeral...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom