SB0281 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (aka, AWB)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    prohibiting, with specified exceptions, a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State or possessing

How do you get Grandfathered with the word "Possessing"?

LEO's buy their AR's with their money, they will be the exception.

What did I miss?

I have been an LEO for 17 years. Nowhere have I ever seen or known any law to exempt cops from their personal ownership of banned items. All "LEO" vernacular I have known is meant LEO agency purchase for the specific use of duties as LEO's. if I have missed something, please let me know so I may ingest all that is banned.
    some LEO purchase programs require agency letterhead stating the Officer's purchase is for duty use. A supervisor is not just going to willy nilly sign letterhead so that Joe cop can get his cool AR and hi cap mags for personal use.
    It may happen in Podunk pd out in the sticks, who knows.

Where do you see LEO anywhere in this bill proposal?

Thanks.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Said it before and I'll say it again.
    It's not my fault homicidal nutcases like to kill people in gun-free zones.
    I will not be blamed, I will not be punished, and I will not cooperate with any illegal new gun bans or gun control infringements.
    It's really that simple.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    This is the one we knew was coming.

I'm not privy to bill text, but King Mike has said he supports an AWB and is the lead sponsor on this bill. It's cosponsored by the grabbiest of the gun grabbers in the Senate. If there's even an inkling of "good" news in this bill, it will be an oversight on their part, certainly not a bone thrown our way.

Run, do not walk, to the nearest phone. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get in touch with at least the SJPC and the sponsors of this bill. Tell them you do not support gun control in any form. If you're feeling spry this morning, expand to the entire Senate. Burn up the phone lines, folks. Contact info here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=100704

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have been an LEO for 17 years. Nowhere have I ever seen or known any law to exempt cops from their personal ownership of banned items. All "LEO" vernacular I have known is meant LEO agency purchase for the specific use of duties as LEO's. if I have missed something, please let me know so I may ingest all that is banned.
    some LEO purchase programs require agency letterhead stating the Officer's purchase is for duty use. A supervisor is not just going to willy nilly sign letterhead so that Joe cop can get his cool AR and hi cap mags for personal use.
    It may happen in Podunk pd out in the sticks, who knows.

Where do you see LEO anywhere in this bill proposal?

Thanks.

Get the wad out of your panties.

If a LEO is going to carry an AR15 in his or her patrol car, how are they going to possess such a weapon if they are banned in Maryland? You do know that LEO's carry AR's right? I have friends who are LEO's and they have shown me their DUTY RIFLE that they BOUGHT to carry in the Patrol car.
    Do you think that New York is going to limit the LEO's to a 7 round magazine in their Duty Weapon?
    You do know there is an exception for LEO's to receive their handgun on the day of purchase IF it is to replace their DUTY WEAPON, don't you?

Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    Said it before and I'll say it again.
    It's not my fault homicidal nutcases like to kill people in gun-free zones.
    I will not be blamed, I will not be punished, and I will not cooperate with any illegal new gun bans or gun control infringements.
    It's really that simple.

But when the time comes—when the ATF knocks on your door, are you going to stand your ground? When they demand entry into your home at gunpoint, are you going to point your gun back? I'm on the same page with you, but I hope we have the same courage in the moment where it counts.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get the wad out of your panties.

If a LEO is going to carry an AR15 in his or her patrol car, how are they going to possess such a weapon if they are banned in Maryland? You do know that LEO's carry AR's right? I have friends who are LEO's and they have shown me their DUTY RIFLE that they BOUGHT to carry in the Patrol car.
    Do you think that New York is going to limit the LEO's to a 7 round magazine in their Duty Weapon?
    You do know there is an exception for LEO's to receive their handgun on the day of purchase IF it is to replace their DUTY WEAPON, don't you?

How about f ing reading my comment about LEO purchase for duty use first. Then you might want to edit your post.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I had the MGA main page up on friday. I came to work today and refreshed the "gun" page, and noticed this. I could tell immediately by who introduced it and the title of the bill that this was the main event.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    How about f ing reading my comment about LEO purchase for duty use first. Then you might want to edit your post.

You said "I have been an LEO for 17 years. Nowhere have I ever seen or known any law to exempt cops from their personal ownership of banned items"

Is your Duty Sidearm your PERSONAL weapon, or is it owned by the Deptarment?

I have been an LEO for 17 years. Nowhere have I ever seen or known any law to exempt cops from their personal ownership of banned items. All "LEO" vernacular I have known is meant LEO agency purchase for the specific use of duties as LEO's.
    Thank you for your service.

The way I see it, anything that is allowed for LEO service or duty use, should be allowed for the public. That is, if private citizens can't have it, neither should the police.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Folks, could we keep the bickering/boasting/genital measurement to a minimum here? As we speak, people who are trying to chip away at your rights are filing bills in Annapolis. Let's focus on them and not simpleminded crap that divides us and/or detracts from our efforts to retain/regain our rights.

Or, keep at it. Whatever. /soapbox

tiersmoke92555

Prince George's County Freedom Fighter
    Jun 28, 2012
    Capitol Heights
    I'm just wondering how many of us on this forum are criminals? Given they will be the only ones that are not affected by these new legislations.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Regardless of the actual wording of this Bill/Act, it is deeply disturbing and a direct "assault" (no pun intended) on us responsible gun owners. I'm making my calls and emails this morning, everybody else needs to do the same.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The timing for this is good, actually. We have lead time.

We have the NRA show this weekend, and many of the folks we'll be talking to will end up with a WTF look on their faces. There are several gun shows between now and the end of the session to spread the word. There are opportunities every day to get the attention of someone who has not been vocal to this point.

This is a perfect time for everyone to start spreading the word among everyone they can who owns a firearm of any kind, or just belives in our Natural Rights.

Remember... the number of firearm owners in MD is estimated at (very roughly) 2-2.5MM. The number of people who normally contact their elected officials about gun right is (my guess) somewhere between .1% and .3% At the high end, that makes 7,500 people.

So far, in most cases, that's been enough. This time is different, though.

We need people--ESPECIALLY in districts with Lib representatives--to get their voices heard.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Look, the point I'm trying to make is that people think leos would just be able to belly up into a gun shop, flash creds and buy whatever they want for any reason, personal or duty and walk out with it.
    I'm not arguing a point whether a person thinks cops shouldn't have AR's and hi cap mags or not for duty.
    All I'm saying is in my 17 years, i have never been afforded the pleasure of purchasing a banned item for personal, non duty use that a non leo couldn't purchase.
    I think everyone should be able to own anything they want.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Mr H

Banana'd
    What we need is a law that states FULL text of ANY bill (Federal or State) SHALL be available for public review/comment at least 180 days before ANY action is taken on said Bill.
    Then we don't get blindsided by these 1100 page bills or spur of the moment bills, that were under development for years, just waiting for the right time to be introduced.

This is a Maryland-specific bill, and we only have a 90-day session. Not sure that would fly here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom