• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I remember when the general sentiment was that it was a waste to support other pro 2A organizations being we needed to do all we could for the "800# gorilla". The NRA has always been the largest sanctioning body for training and competition, and has done well in the past, but with the rise of SAF, judicialwatch, JPFO, industry organizations, and even other sanctioning bodies like 3GN and USPSA, the NRA seems to act like they are not replaceable, despite the fact they are, and given the current state of disaster they are in, they need to be. I am an annual member, paid up for a few more years, I have donated far more than my membership costs in the past, and that has stopped, and my membership will lapse if they are not worthy of support when it comes due again. Meanwhile there are other choices in 2A organizations that are more important than ever.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Those are good points and worthy of support. If the NRA didn’t sponsor another shooting match or train another range safety officer others would fill that void. However if they cannot effectively create a unified battle front politically none of that training matters.

Right now I feel support for MSI is better bang for your buck in MD than the NRA and it seems to be money well spent.

That being said I am a Life member and I’ve made additional donations to PVF and ILA and I’ll continue to do so as I feel compelled to do so.

^^
    What he said. I will also continue to support ILA and PVF. I also like SAF.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Still the 750lb gorilla .
    The Anti reaction to the other 2A groups combined = Who ?
    Massively in need of reform from the inside
    Does bunches of good stuff in catagories other than lobbying .

We need to hold our noses and keep NRA viable until we can fix it .

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    Still the 750lb gorilla .
    The Anti reaction to the other 2A groups combined = Who ?
    Massively in need of reform from the inside
    Does bunches of good stuff in catagories other than lobbying .

That's a good way to put it IMO.

I'll maintain my membership but nothing more for now.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

I was at NRA HQ yesterday with Mrs. Occam, using their 50-yard indoor range. The staff and RSOs are always super friendly, but vigilant with the less-than-veteran shooters. I asked the lady at the counter to pass the word upstairs that a lot of life members like me would like to see some house cleaning. She said, very obliquely, but in essence: "That message is ringing off the walls up there, trust me."

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was at NRA HQ yesterday with Mrs. Occam, using their 50-yard indoor range. The staff and RSOs are always super friendly, but vigilant with the less-than-veteran shooters. I asked the lady at the counter to pass the word upstairs that a lot of life members like me would like to see some house cleaning. She said, very obliquely, but in essence: "That message is ringing off the walls up there, trust me."
    Good to hear. There are a lot of hard working NRA employees that stand with us on 2A rights. I want the organization to continue, but also change leadership, especially those that turned the NRA into an arm of the ad company and mismanaged donations. I think many of us are searching for the best way to accomplish this.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Even if Wayne has done some bad things why side with the gun banning left?

Support the NRA regardless!

Directing the flow of limited funds is important to me.

NRA is always in Giveaway mode; Free This! Free That! Free Rifles! Free backpacks!

That's a crock. If they can't do their job without coming on like late-nite TV hucksters, there's a problem within the organisation. If they have to throw effective folks like Cox under the bus, there's a problem with the organisation.

I support the NRA's mission; I just wish they did, too. I don't intend to give them a pile of bucks to give away free stuff. Trying to lure members with a pitch like that is sleazy. One joins NRA because one believes in the 2A, not because you get free chances to win cool guns, or knapsacks.

No one is stopping you from sending YOUR money to Wayne. Go for it. Mine goes where I believe it will do the most good.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Couple of points.

Every organization I belong to asks for money: church, political affiliation, school fundraisers, scouts etc. Do I agree with all 100% of the time; No.

For the past 40 years the I've been involved, NRA has had representatives in the MD legislature to help lobby against unjust firearm legislation. May time unsuccessfully, but that is because of the political makeup of this state. (small s). Not from lask of trying.

As stated above NRA are to whose-who for safety training and firearms certifications.

DON'T listen the the liberal news smear of the NRA.

Good thing some of you guys weren't with the Continental Army when the British came to take firearms away the first time... And make no mistake about it, this fight is as serious as 1776! Unite of Die!

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Agree that leadership needs to change and WLP needs to go. I’ve been a member since the early 70’s and witnessed the leadership wars back then and it was ugly but necessary. That being said, I also agree this is not the time for gun owners or other 2A orgs to be divided or giving any more ammo to the Anti’s. Too much is at stake. It should be noted I also support SAF but haven’t seen a lot from them on the national stage. No 2A org is directly challenging the Media lies we here night after night.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For those who want to deprive the NRA of oxygen, remember that the NRA's existence is a major psychological problem for the lefties. Just out from Rasmussen, a poll that shows that more than a quarter of Democrats think that it should be illegal to join the NRA. Let that sink in. They think you should be considered a criminal for being a member of an advocacy group focused on the Bill of Rights. This isn't a few virtue-signaling clowns on the San Francisco city council. This represents a huge swath of the people who will - in their millions - be choosing the person who will be running against Trump in 2020, and who back the current majority in congress. Don't do these people's bidding and kill the thing they hate so much.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...rats_say_it_should_be_illegal_to_join_the_nra

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    What’s the thought regarding Marion Hammer? There was an article recently in the ComPost strongly supporting Wayne.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I just get the feeling something more is gonna come out. And they really should knock off the free junk. I'm still a supporter, they get it together eventually.

Would a form letter addressed to them help?

AACO_Salami

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 12, 2019
    The NRA doesn't exist to get us to fight for gun rights, the NRA exists because we fight for gun rights. They are a name, a label and nothing more. If the NRA folded tomorrow, are all of you "support the NRA or we're done" folks saying you'd stop fighting for gun rights?

Or would you .... along with millions of others find a new gun advocacy group?

You think it's the NRA that lobby's politicians on our behalf, or is it actual lobbyists who do the leg work? Why do you think those lobbyists will go to the unemployment office instead of carrying their experience and Rolodex with them to the next gun advocacy group?

WE DO NOT NEED THE NRA, THE NRA NEEDS US.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Couple of points.

Every organization I belong to asks for money: church, political affiliation, school fundraisers, scouts etc. Do I agree with all 100% of the time; No.

For the past 40 years the I've been involved, NRA has had representatives in the MD legislature to help lobby against unjust firearm legislation. May time unsuccessfully, but that is because of the political makeup of this state. (small s). Not from lask of trying.

As stated above NRA are to whose-who for safety training and firearms certifications.

DON'T listen the the liberal news smear of the NRA.

Good thing some of you guys weren't with the Continental Army when the British came to take firearms away the first time... And make no mistake about it, this fight is as serious as 1776! Unite of Die!

True, most any organization will try to raise funds, marketing, sales, prefferential tax status etc, no problem with the NRA doing this. Problem is when the cost of their advertising methods outweigh the income from those methods, coupled with public lawsuits and allegations of unlawful buisness dealings, a CEO that has basically been accused of embezzlement, board members resigning en masse, and high ranking officials getting fired after a coup attempt. They are indeed critical to protect our rights, and need to sort this crap out immediately, but in the mean time, are my donations and efforts going to combat anti 2A efforts in government, or fueling the infighting and public destruction of the organization that is supposed to be protecting our rights.

Might be a bit, or well A LOT over the top comparing the sacrifices made during our founding Revolution to basically paying $30 a year, sitting in on .gov meetings, and sending the occasional letter, but I get the point. The board and WLP have been openly and publicly undermining each other, happened a couple times during the Revolution too, it's as serious as an offense gets in wartime, and can cause more damage than thousands of enemy troops. History shows what happens to traitors like Benedict Arnold, we are asking for much less for Wayne, and the people responsible for destroying our NRA from within.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    e5d5ba6736f6b930ab0d2e60e096ef7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A recap of the current NRA turmoil focusing on the legal talent that WLP brought on board ...

How a hard-charging lawyer helped fuel a civil war inside the NRA

When the National Rifle Association needed more legal firepower in New York state last year, the gun rights group brought aboard an unlikely lawyer: a Democrat who had no experience in Second Amendment litigation.

By this spring, William Brewer III had emerged as a top counselor to NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre and a victor — for now, at least — in a civil war that he helped set in motion and that is ripping apart the powerful gun lobby.

The ugly public fight has led to an exodus of high-level officials and warring accusations of financial impropriety. At the center of the fray is Brewer, a brash lawyer who has drawn ethics complaints and has a reputation for escalating disputes into pricey legal battles.

Several NRA veterans accuse Brewer of instigating an almost Shakespearean feud to protect his bottom line and growing influence. According to internal board correspondence, his small law firm billed $24 million in fees in 13 months — leading top NRA board members to demand early this year that the organization stop paying until they could review the bills.

But LaPierre sided with Brewer, saying that the lawyer’s bills were appropriate and that he was bringing long-overdue scrutiny to the nonprofit group’s workings.

“The NRA has full confidence in Bill Brewer and his law firm,” LaPierre said in a statement. “The firm is creative, dedicated, and effective — and is helping to protect and advance the NRA’s interests in multiple venues.”

Brewer said he came under attack once he began examining lucrative financial deals inside the organization that he thought posed conflicts of interest. His firm said those complaining about its bills have a misinformed view of its work but declined to elaborate.

... after helping to jettison NRA president Oliver North, rival lawyers and other key NRA lieutenants, Brewer counsels LaPierre on some of the group’s most important decisions, including legal strategy, management and public relations, said multiple people familiar with his role.

Those who have been pushed out shared a common concern: that Brewer ran up excessive fees and then cemented his role by overstating claims about the organization’s legal jeopardy and the potential conflicts of his critics, according to the people and internal documents.

With Brewer’s backing, LaPierre this spring turned against Ackerman McQueen, the marketing firm that had been the NRA’s image maker for more than three decades — a company run by Brewer’s own father-in-law and brother-in-law.

“Mr. Brewer is orchestrating a purge of every person who disagrees with his flawed strategy,” Ackerman McQueen said in a statement.

Brewer, whose eponymous law firm also has an office in New York, has a history of confrontational and high-priced legal fights, according to former employees and lawyers who encountered him in cases and a review of thousands of pages of court records.

Ted Lyon, a personal injury lawyer in Dallas who has battled Brewer in the past, said he was shocked that Brewer had “convinced the NRA that he was some type of star litigator.”

In 2016, a Texas judge sanctioned Brewer, finding that he took actions that could have improperly tainted a jury pool. The court found Brewer’s attempts “to avoid responsibility and accountability for his conduct to be at the very least unpersuasive and at the worst in bad faith, unprofessional, and unethical,” the judge wrote.

Four lawyers’ associations filed a friend-of-the-court argument in August in favor of the punishment.

Citing the sanctity of the promise of a fair trial, the legal groups said they “can imagine nothing . . . more poisonous to this ancient ideal than William A. Brewer III’s behavior.”

Brewer, 67, does not have the typical profile of a lawyer for the NRA, one of President Trump’s staunchest allies. Campaign filings show that he has donated to numerous Democrats, including Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Beto O’Rourke.

But in March 2018, the NRA was dealing with a challenge by New York state officials to its Carry Guard insurance, which provides coverage to firearms owners who shoot someone and claim self-defense. The state Financial Services Department found that the NRA had illegally marketed what critics call “murder insurance.” Insurers, facing millions in state fines, demand that the organization cover the penalty.

The NRA wanted a lawyer with ties to New York Democrats. Steve Hart, the NRA board’s lawyer, enlisted Brewer, according to people familiar with his involvement. Hart did not respond to a request for comment.

When New York officials warned financial institutions and insurers that a relationship with the NRA could harm their corporate reputations and jeopardize public safety, Brewer urged the NRA to sue the state, arguing that state officials were targeting an advocacy group whose views differed from their own.

From there, Brewer pressed to take on other matters, said people familiar with internal discussions. That included the organization’s response to a broader threat: At the time, Letitia James, the leading candidate to become the New York state attorney general, was campaigning on a pledge to investigate the NRA’s nonprofit status amid reports of financial irregularities.

Brewer said he recommended to LaPierre that he prepare by auditing the group’s spending and vendor contracts, including those of Ackerman McQueen, its largest. For 38 years, the Oklahoma City-based advertising agency had served as a powerful adjunct to the NRA, promoting the group’s combative, no-compromise stance on gun rights.

The inquiry put him on a collision course with his father-in-law, Angus McQueen, who founded the firm — another larger-than-life figure of the same generation, who died in July. Brewer said he did not view the matter as a conflict of interest.

Brewer said people within the NRA began raising questions about Ackerman’s billing and its hiring of the group’s officials, such as North. North had a multimillion-dollar contract to host a series produced by the firm, documents show.

The McQueens grew suspicious of Brewer’s questions and worried that he sought to take over some of the firm’s public relations business, according to people familiar with their views.

In a statement, Ackerman McQueen accused Brewer of “pursuing a personal vendetta against his own family and their business.” The firm said it has cooperated with every audit requested by the NRA and never overcharged the group, adding that LaPierre approved all expenses.

The company alleges that Brewer went after Ackerman McQueen “to serve as a distraction from the failure of NRA executives and its board to properly fulfill its oversight duties.”

Current NRA officials rejected that, saying the audit was part of a move to increase oversight. Brewer’s firm said that the focus on Ackerman was not personal and that the agency stonewalled requests for information. And the firm dismissed as absurd the idea that it was trying to steal the public relations business.

The audit set off a bitter legal fight, fracturing the alliance between the NRA and its longtime marketing agency. It also exposed lavish spending by LaPierre that flowed through Ackerman McQueen, such as hundreds of thousands of dollars in charges at a Beverly Hills clothing boutique and on foreign travel, invoices show. The NRA has defended the expenditures as necessary.

Late last year, NRA budget officers began warning about staggering legal bills from Brewer’s firm, according to people familiar with the communications. Since March 2018, his firm’s fees had routinely topped $1.5 million a month, according to internal documents.

In a Feb. 26 letter, North and board vice presidents Richard Childress and Carolyn Meadows told LaPierre that they believed Brewer’s retainer agreement was not properly executed and demanded that the NRA cease payments to him until they could discuss the matter.

Brewer moved quickly to demonstrate his value to the organization.

In internal presentations, the lawyer warned of impending legal threats that he said he was uniquely equipped to address, according to people familiar with the meetings.

He said the NRA could face significant criminal liability in an ongoing investigation of Russian gun activist Maria Butina, who had cultivated ties to the NRA, the people said, as well as exposure in congressional inquiries into Russian connections to the group.

Brewer, who is not a criminal lawyer, claimed in one March meeting that North could be implicated, according to one of the people.

Federal prosecutors had already told NRA lawyers that the organization and its officers were not under criminal investigation, according to the people familiar with the conversations.

Others familiar with Brewer’s presentations said they greatly inflated the legal risk, with one former prosecutor warning other NRA advisers that Brewer was a “charlatan.”

Brendan Sullivan, a longtime white-collar defense lawyer representing North, later called Brewer’s presentation something “a fifth grader might have put together,” according to people who heard his reaction. Sullivan declined to comment.

Brewer declined to address the substance of his meetings, saying they were privileged. But he said he did not think the other NRA lawyers addressed the legal and reputational risks the group faced, adding that they were “assuming away all of the problems that needed to be confronted.”

In March, North pushed the NRA to hire an outside auditor to examine Brewer’s bills, internal correspondence shows.

But LaPierre emailed Brewer to tell him to ignore the request, according to a message read to The Post.

“My office, not any member of the board, has the authority to hire and oversee legal counsel,” the NRA chief wrote in the email. “Your engagement is valid, is vital to the survival of the NRA and is well known to the entire board. Please keep up the good work and disregard this and other missives you may receive.”

LaPierre had been warning North to stop inquiring about the legal bills, saying he had a conflict of interest because of his financial relationship with Ackerman McQueen, according to internal documents. But North kept up the pressure. “The Brewer invoices are draining NRA cash at a mindboggling speed,” he and Childress wrote in an April letter to NRA officials obtained by The Post.

That month, the fight burst into the open.

On April 12, Brewer sued Ackerman McQueen on the NRA’s behalf, accusing the firm of concealing how it was spending money under its $40 million contract. The suit also questioned the propriety of North’s contract with NRA-TV and Ackerman McQueen, which North said LaPierre had authorized.

Then LaPierre took on North directly. On the eve of the organization’s convention in Indianapolis, he publicly released a letter to the board in which he claimed that the NRA president had tried to extort him by threatening to release a “devastating account” of the group’s financial status if LaPierre did not resign and drop the suit against Ackerman McQueen. LaPierre urged nominating committee members not to support North for another term, board members told their colleagues.

The NRA is now locked in legal battles on multiple fronts. Amid the turmoil, seven board members have resigned and some of the group’s top strategists and advisers have been pushed out, including Christopher Cox, an NRA lobbyist whom LaPierre long described as his heir apparent. The NRA chief has accused Cox of conspiring with North, a charge Cox denies.

Last month brought a new defenestration — this time of lawyers. LaPierre announced that the NRA was severing relations with Charles Cooper, its longtime Second Amendment defender. Michael Volkov, its outside lawyer who had been handling the Russia investigation, also resigned.

In a statement released by Brewer’s firm, the NRA chief accused the lawyers of being part of the conspiracy against him.

Cooper, who had represented the NRA for the past three decades, said he had always been loyal to the group, “not to any individual officers or directors of the organization.” Volkov declined to comment.

Meanwhile, the New York attorney general has issued subpoenas seeking records of LaPierre’s jet-setting lifestyle, including his efforts to buy a $6 million mansion with NRA money, and has sought information about why some of his spending was kept a secret from the NRA board, according to people familiar with the requests.

Meadows said in a statement that the NRA has offered to cooperate with the inquiry and called the claims of misspending “baseless allegations.”

In late August, New York investigators spent a day interviewing North. Among their questions, according to people familiar with the matter, were queries about Brewer’s fees and growing role in the NRA.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    When the National Rifle Association needed more legal firepower in New York state last year, the gun rights group brought aboard an unlikely lawyer: a Democrat who had no experience in Second Amendment litigation.

A wolf in sheep's clothing to destroy from within?

Why bring in likely opposition with no 2A experience....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom