• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoyo

Mar 27, 2018
    Specific to Maryland:

1.) When CC a glock26, which has a 10rd magazine, is it legal to carry a glock19 magazine, which holds 15rd, as a backup?

2.) Do rifle magazines need to be unloaded for transport?

Thanks yall

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    1: Yes. Possession of plus 10 rounders is not illegal.

2: No. Provided it's not inserted in the firearm.

Happily answered since Sine Die has come and gone.

Welcome, NOOB MDSer.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    In Maryland, you can own a 10+ round magazine, you just can't buy it here. While not a requirement of the law, I recommend to my students to travel with magazines unloaded (the loaded magazines cannot be in the firearm). Besides, if you are going to a range with your rifle and loaded magazines, there is a good chance that the range will ask you to unload them because they like to test for steel core ammo and if the ammo is in a magazine with steel components, they can't do that.

Since you are asking noob questions, are you new to Maryland? If so, please be aware that we have reciprocity for carrying with nobody. Maryland wear and carry permits are hard to come by except for people that have a true "good and substantial" reason to carry.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    To answer the OP's question without extra crap, under Maryland law, magazines may be transported loaded as long as they are not in firearms. No bullets in firearms, neither in the chamber, nor in a magazine inserted in a gun.

Shoyo

Mar 27, 2018
    Ok cool. Thanks for the insight and the welcomes.
    No, not new to MD just want to make sure I'm operating legal.

To answer the OP's question without extra crap, under Maryland law, magazines may be transported loaded as long as they are not in firearms. No bullets in firearms, neither in the chamber, nor in a magazine inserted in a gun.

Piling on...
    Your gun case can have a bunch of loaded pistol/rifle mags in it. Said mags cannot be in the mag well/loaded magazine in the firearm.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I was told in the class I had to take for my carry permit that only 10 rounds may be carried in a weapon being used for concealed carry in md even if the mag capacity is greater than 10. The instructor stated that you could run into legal issues if you were involved in a shoot.

I have since found out this is not true but this is the kind of miss information that goes around.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I was told in the class I had to take for my carry permit that only 10 rounds may be carried in a weapon being used for concealed carry in md even if the mag capacity is greater than 10. The instructor stated that you could run into legal issues if you were involved in a shoot.

I have since found out this is not true but this is the kind of miss information that goes around.

There is an additional penalty for using a magazine with over 10 rounds in the commission of a crime. So, yes, you could be charged with that if the shoot is deemed unlawful?
    We all know this will only be used against a lawful citizen trying to do the right thing. Convicted Felons arrested are not charged, but simply allowed to walk away to commit another felony another day

kyserthehun

Jul 24, 2016

First time I went to the Freestate range I got chewed out for illegally transporting loaded magazines there. I just go to AGC now.

First time I went to the Freestate range I got chewed out for illegally transporting loaded magazines there. I just go to AGC now.

Same thing happened to me at On Target. Haven't darkened the door since. Had he said it was their policy I would have probably been ok with it, but he told me it was illegal and I know better. I refuse to give money to nitwits who either don't know the law or use false info for their own benefit.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You will get a BIG chew out for bringing a loaded mag into ANY range.
    BIG NO NO

My MD range doesn't care about bringing on loaded mags, as long as you follow the range rule about not loading more than ten at a time when shooting.

NRA range here in VA doesn't prohibit it either. Just about everyone shows up with loaded mags. It saves time and space. I can't think of any ranges here in VA that prohibit bringing on loaded mags. Most will let you carry a loaded firearm onto the range too as long as it's holstered/cased appropriately and not handled when not on the line.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Same thing happened to me at On Target. Haven't darkened the door since. Had he said it was their policy I would have probably been ok with it, but he told me it was illegal and I know better. I refuse to give money to nitwits who either don't know the law or use false info for their own benefit.

This exactly. Their house, their rules. Totally fine. However, please do not spread false information to explain away your policy which caters to the lowest denominator. Fools.

The AG letter on loaded mags: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/MDAGOpinionLoadedMagInVehicle.pdf

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The longer you stand in the booth loading mags, the more you pay?

It's a private club that's rarely crowded and the range fee covers the whole day. I have no idea what they were going for with that rule, but it's still in place.

One of our members used to shoot at Cresap where it was crowded, so he didn't want to waste time loading mags on the firing line. He bought enough mags so he would never have to reload mags at the range. He still brings his ammo to the range that way out of habit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom