• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    So I've been using winchester primers for a long time for my pistol loads. 9,45 and 40 and have never had one not fire. A couple weeks ago I swapped in a batch of federal primers I had gotten a good deal on at a gun show. Since then I've had about 6 rounds out of about 400 that didn't fire.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just light primer strikes based on the markings and that they wouldn't fire out of any of my guns including those that stock springs etc. Anyone else have issues with Federal primers? There's clearly a materials difference based on the color etc between winchster and federal. I think for the time being I'm going to go back to using Winchesters that have worked really well for me in the past. Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences.

What's your favorite primer these days? I'm spinning up to load 223 which I know is a different beast but I'm leaning towards going with winchester for these too.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I use Winchester for pistol and CCI #41's for my 5.56/223 AR handloads. I prefer the military spec CCI primers for the AR action. While it shouldn't happen my concern is having a AD due to a dirty rifle fouling the floating firing pin. The CCI #41 primers are a bit thicker for this very reason.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I load almost exclusively wolf primers, never had a failed fire

Me too! Jumped on them when nothing else was available. Nobody wanted the Ruskie primers until Dave Tubb said he used the "Red Box Russian primers", not the "green box" ones
    I've shot about 18k of them with the only failure being light strikes in a Mauser. However, it didn't light off CCI or Remingtons reliably either. Replaced the spring and it was all good.

Can't find Wolf now because Putin pissed off Obama, but I still have about 1k left. So I'll have to get some American brand this Summer. Hard to choose;they've all been reliable to me. Winchester had some bad lots get out, but I read they fixed it.
    So, do I want Vanilla, Vanilla, or perhaps some Czech Vanilla? Heresy in the brand loyal reloading world, I know, but that's how I see it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Handgun, Winchester. Always treated me right. In over 5 years, haven't had one not go off, so far.

AR - Started with CCI 400, then to Wolf (and those were great, until they dried up), finally to CCI #41.

Large rifle - I prefer the CCI #34, I have a few packs of Federal GM210M - but haven't gotten into those yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Handgun, Winchester. Always treated me right. In over 5 years, haven't had one not go off, so far.

AR - Started with CCI 400, then to Wolf (and those were great, until they dried up), finally to CCI #41.

Large rifle - I prefer the CCI #34, I have a few packs of Federal GM210M - but haven't gotten into those yet.

^^^this, with the addition of CCI #450 for my 300AAC if I can't get #41

I use Winchesters on all my 5.56. Never had a problem.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It depends on the application. Federal has the softest cups of all of the primer manufacturers. I think Winchester is second. I prefer Winchester for my cowboy rounds, especially when I use black powder. Everything else, I use S&B primers. My Colt revolvers, my CZs, and my 1911s run S&B just fine. I'm down to my last Wolf/Tulammo primers for my ARs, I will try S&B with them next batch.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Me too! Jumped on them when nothing else was available. Nobody wanted the Ruskie primers until Dave Tubb said he used the "Red Box Russian primers", not the "green box" ones
    I've shot about 18k of them with the only failure being light strikes in a Mauser. However, it didn't light off CCI or Remingtons reliably either. Replaced the spring and it was all good.

Can't find Wolf now because Putin pissed off Obama, but I still have about 1k left. So I'll have to get some American brand this Summer. Hard to choose;they've all been reliable to me. Winchester had some bad lots get out, but I read they fixed it.
    So, do I want Vanilla, Vanilla, or perhaps some Czech Vanilla? Heresy in the brand loyal reloading world, I know, but that's how I see it.

yeah, I've got a couple thousand of the small pistols left, but out of rifles primers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use primarily Winchester and CCI. For most uses, I don't care which one, and never had an issue with them not firing. Other than the odd one inserted upside down. :D

The CCI 450, Small Rifle Magnum primer, is almost the same as the #41 mil primer. Same cup, same compound. The #41 has the anvil set a little further away from the cup. Is use the 450 for my 5.56 loads.

I use Federal match in my long range loads.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    I just switched to Remington 1 1/2 for my pistol rounds. Switched from S&B due to light primer stricks on a Glock 34 with a light spring. Haven’t had an issue since and the Rems feed like butter into the pockets with the progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom