• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a friend that bought one for $3K in the 80's time frame. Has never shot it but did buy 5K of linked ammo for it. Better investment than classic cars.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I'd love to see that one. How many folks bought before the 86 ban and just socked them away? Even right after the ban the prices didn't go crazy. I think the last 10-15 years prices have gone through the roof. Most folks can't get into the MG game unless independently wealthy.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    That's the truth. I would have scooped up a bunch of DIAS and HK sears too!

I remember going to my first gun show in Easton MD back in 1985 and seeing an M60 like new in gov box/ foil for $2500.00.
    I had never seen a machine gun for sale and didn't know you could legally own mgs. If only I had the $$$ then to buy it. Today I kick myself for all the crazy deals I passed on. Hope you get everything straightened out and enjoy your new toy.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    303_enfield - Thank you so much for coming over today to check out the gun. And I very much appreciate the items you gave me (seriously, I would have GLADLY paid for them). You're a good man.

So here's the scoop, after 303_enfield's review:

The gun is a problem, but not for the reasons I thought. The trunnion is tight enough around the barrel and the welding through the trunnion isn't objectionable. BUT... the receiver itself is FUBAR. I knew it was a rewelded receiver, but I didn't notice the details. 303 was all over it, taking it apart and pointing out how some of the welds were so poorly done that... get this... light could shine through. It looked like it had been tack welded, but nobody finished the job. Worse, the receiver isn't straight and the bolt binds a bit as a result. Basically, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

This right here is why I love the internet, MD Shooters, and gun people. Thank you 303_enfield.

Unless the seller offers a decent discount, it's going back. Bullet dodged.

Because, they ain't making any new ones. Dewalts an rewelds "where" the cheap way to play. If I paid 20K for it, I would send it in to get rebuilt.

If the dealer will let you break her down, do it. Get some straightness gauges from a machine shop an check the rails. The barrel should be tight. The flash hider will move. Did it come with a spare barrel? Try that one!

The barrel wears out first. Open the feed tray cover, put weapon on fire, with your palm facing up pull charging handle to the rear till bolt locks, push charging handle forward, put weapon on safe, load, close feed tray, aim, put weapon on fire an watch your lane.

I have a TM if your close to Willards.
    Only other stuff I have left are:
    BFD
    two guide rod springs
    sear
    barrel glove
    couple of barrel wrenches

Did you buy the one on subguns?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    303_enfield - Thank you so much for coming over today to check out the gun. And I very much appreciate the items you gave me (seriously, I would have GLADLY paid for them). You're a good man.

So here's the scoop, after 303_enfield's review:

The gun is a problem, but not for the reasons I thought. The trunnion is tight enough around the barrel and the welding through the trunnion isn't objectionable. BUT... the receiver itself is FUBAR. I knew it was a rewelded receiver, but I didn't notice the details. 303 was all over it, taking it apart and pointing out how some of the welds were so poorly done that... get this... light could shine through. It looked like it had been tack welded, but nobody finished the job. Worse, the receiver isn't straight and the bolt binds a bit as a result. Basically, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

This right here is why I love the internet, MD Shooters, and gun people. Thank you 303_enfield.

Unless the seller offers a decent discount, it's going back. Bullet dodged.

Light was shining through? That’s scary

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Glad you had someone check it out for you. Sorry to hear the receiver is fubar. Hopefully you can get all your money back. I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. Maybe a better deal will come along.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Glad you had someone check it out for you. Sorry to hear the receiver is fubar. Hopefully you can get all your money back. I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. Maybe a better deal will come along.

Thank you. There’s no question I can get my money back, the dealer has been great. I’m very much in the market for another M60. If anyone has one that’s functional and in decent shape (I’m looking for a shooter, not a collectible), I’m definitely in the market.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thank you. There’s no question I can get my money back, the dealer has been great. I’m very much in the market for another M60. If anyone has one that’s functional and in decent shape (I’m looking for a shooter, not a collectible), I’m definitely in the market.

I don’t know if my buddy booger bought it but A1Uniform had one

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I lied. I just called booger, he bought it but Greg does have a serious Class 3 selection of transfersbles

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Just sent them a note, thank you.

Lol should have checked my very next post. Booger bought it and a few other pew pews. I believe i have a accurate list of their transferables but ill let Greg post that

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom