• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In other threads I mentioned my new to me NEF Manlicher in .223 . From model history, and s/n would seem to be 1996, possibly 1999 . In either case a 1:12 ( 1:9 started in 2006 ) .

So has me thinking about loading for it . Was thinking in terms of suitably priced for standardizing for all around use , but capable for deer ( usual disclaimers about placement , distance, etc , and keeping in mind 22in bbl vs common 16in AR )

The imeadate candidates are Sierra Game Kings , Hornaday Spire Point, and Dogtown ( mfg by Nosler , flat base ) . User reports for both the Sierra and Hornaday both have multiple reports of cross chest penetration with expansion on deer .

Any experiences with the above, or choices overlooked ? ( 55gr because of twist . The 55gr Gold Dot probably the best-est , but the $$ would make it a dedicated hunting bullet only, instead of one load for everything .)

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Load your "general use" ammo with Hornady 55gr. SP's. They'll work ok on deer, trust me. I shoot bazillions of those bullets- very accurate for me, and can be had at great prices if you shop around a bit. I hedge my bets and load a few with Barnes TSX's, 50 grain, for deer once a year. Not that the Hornady's won't work but because I know the TSX's will smash through bone and not come apart. I don't know if your rate of twist will fully stabilize longer heavier TSX's but I do know you would be good to go with 50's.

It's no big deal to be a two bullet man. Not any more of a pain than being a simple one bullet man. It's the guys with 14 different bullets in play who work themselves into a dither.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    To me, given what I believe to be less than the best cartridge choice to begin with, it makes even more sense to load the best bullets available for .223 for deer. If I had to hunt with .223 Remington, that's the route I'd go.

BUT......That said, I always wanted to hunt, and oftentimes knowing that there are always going to be more optimal choices in tools. Think bow, handgun, smaller cartridges on purpose etc.

Given less than best of available bullet construction, and at comparatively less expensive prices, I think you're all over it.

I've used both Sierra Game Kings and Hornady spire point #2266 with very selective shots with success. While still classified as varmint bullets, both are very definitely more expansion oriented bullets than many of the much more explosively fragmenting varmint choices available.

I buy the 2266 by the 6000 piece case lot at less than 7 cents apiece, mainly for AR but also for bolt. It's the best combination of performance and price that I've found for all around use.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    1 in 12 twist is perfect for the 55 gr bullets. For 55 gr bullets, I use a mid load of IMR4198 to push the bullet. Accurate and saves money on powder.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Very interesting ! Just starting to digest the implications, but useful input .

Early thought - The Spire Point would definitely be the bee's knees from sbr/ pistol .

Other early thought - Clueing back the zillion Midway reviews , the Sierra Game King was commented as being thicker jacketed, and particularly favored as deer & mule deer bullet from .22-250 . Looks as if I'll need to chrono my specific rifle for further contemplating .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    If handloading isn't necessarily a must, another experiment that might be worth considering is to see if your 12 twist rifle will stabilize Federal's factory 62 grain Fusion. That ammo is marketed as being an electrochemically bonded bullet to keep jacket and core intact, specifically designed for deer in .223 Remington. The Fusion I've shot (not .223, and mainly to get brass) was priced well and better than I expected, and seemed to be very good ammo IMO. Might also be true of .223 variety, and prove to be an option for infrequently used but better suited deer round, with the cheaper bullets readily available for handloading being for all around use.

I also wonder how much heavier the jacket is on the Sierra Game King, as opposed to the Hornady SP. It's also 3-4 times the price of the Hornady 2266 spire points in bulk. I very much like Sierra bullets generally, but performance at a cheap price is a large part of why I like the Hornady as an "everyday" .224 caliber bullet, while knowing that there are better specific purpose premium constructed bullets available. But, they also come at a premium price.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Stability is a function of both twist and velocity so if you can't change the twist you can change the velocity, however velocity also effects flight path and expansion so testing is the name of the game to get something that works for you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm seeing the price more like double . But at that the Game King is comparable to the Speer Gold Dot Bonded .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    In like for like 100 lot, yes more like double. Hornady savings comes in bulk on that particular SP.

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, Sierra doesn't package GameKing bullets in quantities larger that 100 pieces. They'll go to 500 with available packaging on match and varmint bullets, but not GameKing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not the long term/ high volume solution , but at the Fredrick show picked up a cpl boxes of Federal Premium , with 55gr GameKings . Should at least serve for proof of concept .

$10/ 20rd isn't plinking ammo , but the GameKing, Ballistic Tips, and generic soft point were same price .

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I used bulk Hornady 55gr softpoint for shooting Prairie Dogs in South Dakota, approximately 2,500 rounds. Devastating on rat sized animals. Given that experience I would not recommend them for deer. I'm sure they would kill a deer most of the time, but IMHO there are much better options.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom