• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So disappointing. Cabela's in Delaware used to be a regular stop for me on my way back home. Last time I was in there I noticed the change in the reloading section and the clothes area.

Probably time to get rid of all my points and cancel the credit card and a different one.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I make the ~ 1 hr. drive to Cabela's DE when I need powder & primers. I usually end up buying other stuff. Last trip - no primers and only a few odd powders. I told the guy two hours of my life I won't get back. Given their product change it'll be a long while before I visit again.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    If you're going to drive for an hour for reloading components I suggest South to Greentop or North to Shyda's.
    Sorry to any of our forum supporting gunshops, but you don't carry enough reloading stuff.
    This is not a subtle hint.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Greentop is where i've been going for about a year now. They have a good selection of stuff. Plus the wife gets to spend time with her Dad(he lives in Richmond) Which is an added bonus because I can go a tad over budget without her giving me the evil eye!

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Thanks for the info, but Google Maps tells me 4 hours to Greentop and 2+ hours to Shyda's one way. Unless I'm in the area, hazmat fees are looking like the solution.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Lots of things lead me to believe that it has to be hard to make a buck selling reloading supplies. Most places won’t even bother. The ones that will typically don’t do the greatest job of it.

Bass Pro is always a last resort for me. They are a big fish in the very small pond of Maryland reloading. Sounds like Cabela’s is getting pulled down with them. Not that Cabela’s was ever top of mind for supplies either, but they were better than Bass Pro IMO.

Biggest problem are the regulations regarding powder and primers. The federal laws and regulations are bad enough, then Maryland (and other states) add to them. On top of that, reloaders are only a segment of the shooting world.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also could arrange group trips. Meet somewhere, pile into one vehicle, and make the trek with some MDS buds.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Thanks for the info, but Google Maps tells me 4 hours to Greentop and 2+ hours to Shyda's one way. Unless I'm in the area, hazmat fees are looking like the solution.

True. Not worth a special trip for you.
    Shop online and you can find almost acceptable fees. Graf's and Midway had $10 hazmat last week. It's just not convenient if you only want a couple of hundred primers or a lb of powder. However, if you look at Bass Pro powder prices, it's about the same price. Cheaper for volume.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    It all depends on where you live, but Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring has a good powder selection and primers. Don't complain about slightly higher prices, a full service gun shop is worth it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Continental Arms in Timonium has a good selection of powder and primers. I'd call ahead to see if they have what you want.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I was feeling sorry that there was no Cabelas near me., not as sorry now!( They must be related to Dick's!)
    I could not even find 22 cal ammo at Dicks, the local Walmart has better selection.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    A month ago I cancelled my Cabela's CC. After having it for prolly twenty years my wife was shocked.

I've had my BPS card for well over 10 years, and I'll be cancelling it soon too. They've just taken out a major competitor, and their prices were already super high, they switched to Capital One bank, who I hate, and they don't really have anything I need any more.

What rewards cards are you looking at now? I'm trying to decide which to get.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've had my BPS card for well over 10 years, and I'll be cancelling it soon too. They've just taken out a major competitor, and their prices were already super high, they switched to Capital One bank, who I hate, and they don't really have anything I need any more.

What rewards cards are you looking at now? I'm trying to decide which to get.

Citibank has a 2% cash back card. Cash, not store credit or points.

And the local credit union (APGFCU) is doing 1.5% cash back on their credit card.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    FYSA I was able to buy a brick of CCI small pistol primers today and a 100 count pack. You have to ask and they will go in the back and grab one for you no problem. But, they only have 100 count packs on display. I bought a few pounds of powder too. Had to show my drivers license for them to annotate my information. I asked why, they said it was policy and Maryland law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom