• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember that reloading components were very difficult to obtain during that time also.

Primers, bullets, brass and powder were ALL difficult to obtain.

The old seeming cliché of "buy it cheap and stack it deep" is cliché for a reason.

Yeap.

I had powder and bullets on back orders for over a year each.

And I still have some powders I don't really use, but it was usable and available.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes but things got scarce in stages.
    The ammo disappeared first.
    Next reloading tools got scarce.
    Then primers.
    And last powder.

So if you see ammo getting scarce jump the line and start stocking primers and powder deep. Because you already have the tools. And a good reloading library can help you find recipes for powders and components you don't normally use.

Why not, if you see ammo getting scarce, to BUY AMMO? :D

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    A lot of good points are being made here. I plan to continue to buy 9mm, 38, and 45 ammo as well as buy bullets, brass, powder, etc while they are still readily available and be prepared for when the next round of restrictions/bans/shortages come.
    In the past I found reloading to be relaxing for me and the wife would usually leave me alone while doing it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yes but things got scarce in stages.
    The ammo disappeared first.
    Next reloading tools got scarce.
    Then primers.
    And last powder.

So if you see ammo getting scarce jump the line and start stocking primers and powder deep. Because you already have the tools. And a good reloading library can help you find recipes for powders and components you don't normally use.

Yes, and you make a good point on the library side. I shoot a lot of .223 in various firearms. I presently have decently workable loads for perhaps 7 different powders for .223 Rem. I’ve done that on purpose.

Why? Because after years of asking for and using H335 in .223, it became in 2013 a situation of asking for what you want, getting a predictable laugh, and leaving a shop with what you might be able to get. And there was also a solid stretch there where you were unlikely to leave with the same powder twice.

2013 was merely the most recent example of shortages. You start thinking long and hard about stop gaps and work arounds and more universal powder choices that can fill multiple bills for favorite chamberings, be they handgun or rifle, or in some instances both. You can bet that it’s a matter of when....not if....you’ll once again see some variation of the same theme.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Reloading .38 Special, 9 x 18mm Makarov and 9mm Luger gives me something relaxing to do that I enjoy. It saves some money on the .38s and Maks for sure. Buying components when on sale or even finding deals in the classifieds can also make reloading very cost effective. I have been using a brass catcher on my shooting hand with decent results on my semi-autos. I am able to recover almost all of my brass and usually only lose a handful of cases per outing.
    Just started reloading recently, so I am still acquiring gear a little at a time and building my inventory of components for what I shoot.

I almost always come home with more brass then I took to the range. :) be sure to consult with your neighbors before sweeping up the range floor. Several times I have had my range neighbors sweep up and dump their brass into my collection sack.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I almost always come home with more brass then I took to the range. :) be sure to consult with your neighbors before sweeping up the range floor. Several times I have had my range neighbors sweep up and dump their brass into my collection sack.

You are quite right about that. Many times when others see me using the brass catcher on a weapon, they will ask if I would like to have their brass. I have quite a stash of once fired .223 brass thanks to the kindness of others.:thumbsup:

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County

Agreed. To me leaving brass is like leaving money laying on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom