• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    All,

I'm just curious as to people's thoughts on these 2 designs. I don't yet own a Ruger Mark IV, but will likely get one in the future. While I like the look of the grip of the standard Mark IV, I held them both a while back (likely a Mark 3 though) and I felt the 22/45 grip shape fit my hand better. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The 1911 grip angle is generally considered the best...though many will disagree. The grip angle for most .22LR pistols is dictated by the angle required for rimmed cartridges to feed reliably...not by what's most ergonomic. The 22/45 was Ruger's attempt to give their .22 pistol a more comfortable 1911 grip and for better cross-training with 1911 shooters.

Personally I think the standard Ruger .22 is more aesthetically attractive but the 22/45 is more comfortable...but I'm a lifelong 1911 shooter so I'm admittedly a bit biased.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I have both the traditional Ruger-angle grip on a MK-II, and the 45-style grip on a MK-IV. I shoot both well, but I believe I like the 1911 angle better, now that I’ve had a few hundred rounds through it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I built my current rimfire race gun from a standard Mk III grip because my friend BJ Norris told me he did some testing and found he could get the first round hit off speed shooting about .1 second faster than the same setup with the 22/45 grip angle. Even after about 3 years of using it I think it is faster but the grip still does not feel as comfortable as the 45 grip angle of my Buckmarks even when they are equipped with identical parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom