What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Primed 99 5.56 cases in the short amount of free time I had today. Why 99? Because I apparently was unable to count to 100 when I trimmed and chamfered everything the other day. Decided to do the priming on my RCBS partner press since the primer pockets were swaged but still seemed difficult to seat, didn’t want the bench prime going off with a bunch of primers in it. Actually didn’t hate using the little primer arm on the press like I thought I would.

Also received 6.5 Grendel brass from Powder Valley today which means I have that to use if snowed in the next few days.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Did a test run of about 30 pieces of 5.56 loaded with 55gr and 27gr TAC on Thursday night. Everything gauged pretty nice at the end, so I suppose my case prep is improving.

Got my 300 AAC Hornady 125gr bullets today, so spent some time after Shabbos setting up my turret to load them. OAL is 2.09 (book is 2.1) to hit the cannelure, loaded with about 17.7gr of Lil Gun. I'll make up a few more of them on Sunday so I've got a reasonable test batch, and then we'll see how they cycle. I am still a little skeptical that I want to be shooting supers with 300AAC in the long term, but as an interim solution until I can source the right coated bullets for subs... sure, why not?

Also kinda tempted to try them out in 308 just to see how they perform... looks like TAC should work for that.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I had some TAC but never reloaded it. TAC is a little faster than varget so probably does well in the 55gr range. It might do well with a heavier bullet 77gr too. You can be the tester.

Just looked TAC very close to 8208 XBR on the brin rate so should be fine.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Filled both mixers with 5.56, no stray brass this time. Finally did a count of total cleaned. Each mixer gets 4 .50 cal cans of brass. I used to figure around 1000 5.56 per can. Well, 8 .50 cal cans totaled 9300+ pieces. So, each .50 cal can averages just over 1150 cases. After cleaning and sifting, the brass was bagged 500ea to a zip lock bag, 5 bags to a short forty can. I find the short forty cans work well for storing brass. One of the mixers is going to get new media, it didn’t clean as well as the other. I don’t want to think how many cases it has cleaned.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Cranked out the rest of my 300AAC super test load, plus about a hundred 45 ACP rounds (5.3gr Unique, 230gr bullet, at whatever OAL fit in the barrel). It's a pretty tame load for competition and plinking, plus it uses Unique, which I don't use for much else. I'll probably crank some more of them out after lunch. Having to load bulk blaster on the Lee Turret is reminding me why I love my Dillon 650 so much.

I also finally sourced some 217gr bullets for my 300, so I'm looking forward to loading those up to see if maybe I can get better results than from my 240gr experiments.

ETA: got through another 100-200 45 after lunch. This is enough to shoot for a competition, so I guess it's time to get a few more 1911 mags and mag pouches...

Last edited:

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Inventoried my stash after a 9 month Hiatus only to realize I am light 556 brass and cleaning up the table for a another run. Looking at the weather I will probably get busy setting up my press tomorrow.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just started cleaning a 5 gal. bucket full of 5.56 brass to start loading. This might take a while...Lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, that's the small one, they sell a slightly larger one also.

Don't install the mixing fins inside, silicone the holes.

A 5-gal bucket fits inside the opening that keeps the dust down
    You use pins with this method?

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    This is one of them in action. And yes the picture is not good.
    Brass Cleaning.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom