• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I see they have 3D printers at the Carroll County libraries. Per the policies, it seems printing a Glock lower would be ok (until they say no):

https://library.carr.org/about/policies.asp

Does anyone know ifthe file size would be over 250MB? And how much would the finished object weigh?

Persons wanting to use the 3D printer shall provide a .stl formatted file. File size should not exceed 250MB.

Pricing – Printed items are priced based upon finished weight. The current price is $0.25/gram.

The irrational social media panic is insane. I typed up a basic response I post when I see people losing their minds over this. (It had to be in single paragraph form)

"Anyone with basic knowledge of firearms, mechanical engineering, or CADD understands how much of a nothing this court ruling is. The media is clearly spinning this and preying on those who don't understand what is involved. I can go to Home Depot and make a shotgun with $10 and 15 minutes. One can go online and buy a flaregun insert to turn their boat's signalling device into a single shot handgun. There are TONS of ways to legally make a gun yourself at home, but the media is collectively focused on this one, irrelevant item until the next "big thing" comes along. The goal is to get everyone afraid for their safety, then find another topic to scare people with, rinse and repeat."

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    CNN just did a segment with a unicorn whiz guzzling grabber.

"Airplanes will be brought down and heads of state will be assassinated".

He didn't mention a twenty foot rise in sea levels or polar bears dying by the bushel, but I'm sure he was thinking it.

They also showed home manufacturing that had nothing to do with "Printing" lowers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Does anyone know ifthe file size would be over 250MB? And how much would the finished object weigh?
    It would not. It would also not weigh much. But given that I've printed one that, theoretically, had close specs, and can tell you the issues:
    1. They don't print easily. You need extensive supports. The tolerances are VERY tight, far more so than on an AR lower.
    2. I am not sure they're going to hold up under recoil. There is a lot of energy being put into the frame in these guns.
    3. They would be printing a handgun firearm receiver and giving it to you. The MSP has had some issues with this happening in the past (regardless of whether they're real legal issues).

Simply put, even with the file, I wouldn't bother. P80 80% frames would be MUCH faster to throw together.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It would not. It would also not weigh much. But given that I've printed one that, theoretically, had close specs, and can tell you the issues:
    1. They don't print easily. You need extensive supports. The tolerances are VERY tight, far more so than on an AR lower.
    2. I am not sure they're going to hold up under recoil. There is a lot of energy being put into the frame in these guns.
    3. They would be printing a handgun firearm receiver and giving it to you. The MSP has had some issues with this happening in the past (regardless of whether they're real legal issues).

Simply put, even with the file, I wouldn't bother. P80 80% frames would be MUCH faster to throw together.

If a 3D plastic ghost gun can cause airplanes to fall out of the sky and cause heads of state to be assassinated, then an aluminum ghost gun produced using a hand held router can as well.

Camel.

Nose.

Under.

Tent.

They'll use 3D to go after 80s.

txcat

May 17, 2016
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/us/politics/3d-guns-trump.html
    “This is a huge free speech case. It’s the Pentagon Papers all over again,” Mr. Blackman said. He said he would fight efforts to prevent Mr. Wilson from posting his documents online.

“I don’t care what the president tweets,” Mr. Blackman added. “I will be in court tonight defending the rights of my clients and of all Americans facing government censorship.”

Mr. Wilson also dismissed the president’s tweet. “It’s a typical Trump tweet and doesn’t really show a grasp of the issue,” Mr. Wilson said in an interview. “Whatever.”

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Trump’s comment was beyond dumb. Thankfully his “tweet to actual doing something” ratio is lopsided.

I hate to see how fervent Fudd-ism is amongst 2A supporters. They’d 1302 their AR owning neighbors as long as it kept their 4 rounds of .270 they use in a year safe. The biggest danger to 2A (and all other amendments) are the anti’s but in a close second are the fudds and others who get duped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txcat

May 17, 2016
    But the NJ AG is saying Josh backed down, agreeing to hold back until a Sept hearing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewJerseyOAG/status/1024377730673139712
    That's just spin by the NJ AG. The global TRO they requested was denied. What DD agreed to was to not post any additional files. In other words, the 10 or so different CAD files they posted on July 27th will continue to be available for download. NJ went to court to stop something they thought was going to happen on August 1st, not realizing that it had already happened.

Per Josh on Twitter:
    The Attorneys General of Pennsylvania and New Jersey sought global injunctions for a prior restraint of speech. Both were denied. (The AGs tried to spin these rulings as victories).

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Here’s the hand written page of order causing the differing views. So September only for residents of NJ and PA, Aug 1 for the rest of the world? Also, not to upload any new files?

Attachments

• DAF55835-5BF4-4BA8-B942-F170FAF34193.jpg
      DAF55835-5BF4-4BA8-B942-F170FAF34193.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 226

txcat

May 17, 2016
    Aug 1 for the rest of the world?
    The files were posted on July 27th, when the settlement went into effect. Wilson has said in an interview that August 1 was just for marketing purposes. To repeat: the files are already live. Nothing exciting is likely to happen to the DD website on August 1st (except the removal of the text "August 1" from the front page, presumably).

txcat

May 17, 2016
    SEATTLE (AP) — The Latest on President Donald Trump and downloadable blueprints for a 3D-printed gun (all times local):

3:15 p.m.

A federal judge in Seattle has issued a temporary restraining order to stop the release of blueprints to make untraceable and undetectable 3D-printed plastic guns.
    Wasn't the hearing supposed to be at 4pm? Did the judge grant the TRO before the hearing even took place?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Charles Payne on FBN (Fios 617) interviewing DDI's attorney after commercial break. Now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom