• ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    And why is this cherished so?

Two reasons:

1) Since Colt is at least for the foreseeable future, not producing rifles for civilians, they are fetching a premium for those who want them. They're damn good rifles.

2) Compounding the point above, MD residents are very limited in what we can buy as an AR, and the Colt 6920 SOCOM, represents probably the closest thing we can get to a real, high quality AR. You'll be hard pressed to find a lighter weight profile barreled AR that retains the HBAR designation and requirement per MD law.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Thank EarnestT for asking the question. Outrider, I am interested to hear what you find out.

I rarely sell any guns and not sure I would sell my SOCOM. Tough decision but if Colt is holding back info maybe I should hold onto it. I would hate to lose it in a boating accident. I paid around $2k for it in '13 but that also was a high point in the market. OTOH, I have others that shoot better.

Free State had loads of them prior to and up to Colt announcing that they are no longer providing to civilians. I'd guess they made lots of them. Definitely didn't seem hard to get one. When Colt issued that statement, one buddy immediately bought two, and another bought one, all at free state and within a close timeframe.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt suspended production of civilian AR rifles for two reasons...they were overstocked for the then current rate of sales...something like a 120-day supply inventory. It makes no sense to keep producing a product no one is buying at that time. The second reason was Colt has a number of foreign contracts for M16 and M4 rifles and needed the ability to concentrate on servicing those contracts. It's not like Colt was sitting on their behinds not building rifles...they had plenty of sales contracts.

As far as quality goes...go into a gun shop and look at the AR/M4 clones...it won't be unusual for a salesperson to claim it's "just as good as a Colt". That says a lot about the original article.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Free State had loads of them prior to and up to Colt announcing that they are no longer providing to civilians. I'd guess they made lots of them. Definitely didn't seem hard to get one. When Colt issued that statement, one buddy immediately bought two, and another bought one, all at free state and within a close timeframe.

These were the ones without the Government stamp on the lowers.
    The uppers were the same, but the lowers didn’t have the stamp.
    Just curious as to how much the non government stamped versions are running?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Two reasons:

1) Since Colt is at least for the foreseeable future, not producing rifles for civilians, they are fetching a premium for those who want them. They're damn good rifles.

2) Compounding the point above, MD residents are very limited in what we can buy as an AR, and the Colt 6920 SOCOM, represents probably the closest thing we can get to a real, high quality AR. You'll be hard pressed to find a lighter weight profile barreled AR that retains the HBAR designation and requirement per MD law.

The one I have has the pencil barrel. As mentioned below it is the pencil barrel and the stamps that make the difference as far as the market is concerned.

These were the ones without the Government stamp on the lowers.
    The uppers were the same, but the lowers didn’t have the stamp.
    Just curious as to how much the non government stamped versions are running?

I think the non-stamped h-bar versions with the quad rail were as low at $1100-1200.

As I already said, $2000-2500. Markings make all the difference.
    :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Combloc is not exaggerating.

They are selling for $2500 and more.

Those who think Colt AR's are not worth the price tag need to get some learning.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have a 6920 SOCOM but mine doesn’t say “property of US Government”. Was that something special?

Mine does have the M4A1 roll mark. Also mine has an LE serial number but OP’s has two different prefix letters.

Attachments

• 38FF9FB9-110B-424D-A924-201BA3243A13.jpg
      38FF9FB9-110B-424D-A924-201BA3243A13.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 175
    Last edited:

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Profit is not a dirty word.

I agree and kudos for the seller. I'm all about capitalism. Spending that much on a milspec basic AR just doesn't float the boat that I have all my accidents in...

You prefer a PSA classic? :)

Nah, I use at least mid grade parts in my ARs... $2k, even the $1500 that's been floated been floated around can build something that shoots circles around a basic Colt while being just as reliable.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Nah, I use at least mid grade parts in my ARs... $2k, even the $1500 that's been floated been floated around can build something that shoots circles around a basic Colt while being just as reliable.

I know plenty of people that have built rifles with mid to high grade parts. That doesn't mean those parts were gauged and assembled properly.

It has been explained time and time again that Colt is notoriously consistent. Even during a time when most companies are not.

While I don't have the SOCOM I do have the HBPW. Looks like I should have paid a little more for the SOCOM.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I agree and kudos for the seller. I'm all about capitalism. Spending that much on a milspec basic AR just doesn't float the boat that I have all my accidents in...

Just to be clear this rifle is not for sale at this time. Just a discussion about value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom