• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    I finally bought my first AR. I’ve only gone shooting once and it was your typical 75’ range. Loved it and now am looking to make the next steps. I have the Vortex 3x Spit Fire scope and it’s nice but I am considering options for when I finally get a chance to stretch my legs and go 100yd or more. Can you add a flip over magnifier for longer distances being my current is 3x already? Also looking at new trigger options. I’ve received 50/50 feedback from friends on drop-ins vs standard. Any drawbacks on drop-ins? Would a different muzzle break really make a difference?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'll not comment on optics, as I am an optic Padawan. A good brake can cut muzzle rise significantly. Do you really need that on a 5.56? Up to you. There are tons of triggers out there. The LaRue MBT is a great trigger with an excellent price point. You can't go wrong with Geissele, either. There are different triggers for different applications. If you are plinking and like going fast, their rapid fire or SSA-E are great. If you are more interested in bench shooting, the G2S is a great option. I, personally, am not a fan of cassette triggers.

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Most friends have recommended Geissele triggers. I was looking at a Timney single stage as well. My thought was if I am spending around $200 plus it can’t be junk but I’ve been wrong in the past lol. I am a beginner with this stuff but was going to try to do the replacement myself. I figure no better way to learn your gun then doing this but also know this isn’t a toy and doing things wrong can be stupid or dangerous. Thoughts on that?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Most friends have recommended Geissele triggers. I was looking at a Timney single stage as well. My thought was if I am spending around $200 plus it can’t be junk but I’ve been wrong in the past lol. I am a beginner with this stuff but was going to try to do the replacement myself. I figure no better way to learn your gun then doing this but also know this isn’t a toy and doing things wrong can be stupid or dangerous. Thoughts on that?

It's not that complicated to replace a trigger. Install it wrong and it simply won't work. Check out the SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) forum. Lots of good videos and info there. Check out the LaRue MBT trigger. $90, and I like it as much as my Geissele triggers. Take the money you saved, and take a SOTAR class. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'd leave the trigger stock at first. Once you determine (your) accuracy at 100, and feel it's not where you like, then make some changes.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    With all due respect, it sounds like you've taken her on one date, and are already talking kinky stuff. A lot of AR's shoot 100yd+ just fine with iron sights:innocent0 Why not spend a little time learning what she (and you, with her) can do before taking things to the next level :shrug:

If you've got gun money burning a whole in your pocket now, ammo is never a bad investment, a long with a lifetime supply of Freedom Magazines.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Basics, basics, basics. Learn the basics...learn them well. Once you've become confidant and competent with the rifle, then consider what options you might want to try. The more you change and add on, the chances of reliability issues increase. Don't let gadgets replace skill. Decide what actually fits your intended uses. Less is more.

Nothing replaces practice and skill building.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you've got gun money burning a whole in your pocket now, ammo is never a bad investment, a long with a lifetime supply of Freedom Magazines.

Right. In before the ban.

Cash is king - no records.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    OMBob just offered the PhD short course for new gun owners in general and those new to an AR specifically.

Stuff will never be more efficacious than training/familiarity/muscle memory. Never. Ever.

Folks who I trust to have my six can work thecontrols forwards, backwards and in the dark. They ID and remedy failures so fast it almost seems like there wasn’t one.

Buying new stuff for your AR is a big part of the fun of running one.

I didn’t let my daughter have anything that wasn’t stock. No trigger upgrade. No optics. Nothing. Iron sights. She’s patiently worked to improve her skill and knowledge. She took the Armorer course from Chad as soon as she got her carbine.

Iron sights for my old eyes are good to about 250m. For our son the Marine...say 600m with iron sights.

Original Mexican Roberto is spot on. Spend early AR relationship investing in range time and ammo. Then you’ll really know what you need want and can buy once and cry once. Otherwise it’s a constant tail chase after the next great AR doodad.

Good luck.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'll not comment on optics, as I am an optic Padawan. A good brake can cut muzzle rise significantly. Do you really need that on a 5.56? Up to you. There are tons of triggers out there. The LaRue MBT is a great trigger with an excellent price point. You can't go wrong with Geissele, either. There are different triggers for different applications. If you are plinking and like going fast, their rapid fire or SSA-E are great. If you are more interested in bench shooting, the G2S is a great option. I, personally, am not a fan of cassette triggers.

America gold is the best trigger.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I'll not comment on optics, as I am an optic Padawan. A good brake can cut muzzle rise significantly. Do you really need that on a 5.56? Up to you. There are tons of triggers out there. The LaRue MBT is a great trigger with an excellent price point. You can't go wrong with Geissele, either. There are different triggers for different applications. If you are plinking and like going fast, their rapid fire or SSA-E are great. If you are more interested in bench shooting, the G2S is a great option. I, personally, am not a fan of cassette

I just want to know what a Padawan is.....is that a fan of AR pistons?? Help me Doc... ;)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'll not comment on optics, as I am an optic Padawan. A good brake can cut muzzle rise significantly. Do you really need that on a 5.56? Up to you. There are tons of triggers out there. The LaRue MBT is a great trigger with an excellent price point. You can't go wrong with Geissele, either. There are different triggers for different applications. If you are plinking and like going fast, their rapid fire or SSA-E are great. If you are more interested in bench shooting, the G2S is a great option. I, personally, am not a fan of cassette

I just want to know what a Padawan is.....is that a fan of AR pistons?? Help me Doc... ;)
    Watch star wars nerd.

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    I appreciate the advice. For the record I wasn’t making any changes just trying to learn. No doubt shooting is the best training no and I’ll continue to figure out the fun of shooting

But I do want to learn and make good decisions which is why I ask for your advice based on your experience.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m a trigger snob. I mess with the triggers in most of my guns. GI triggers suck. If you want a different trigger, go for it.

Training is always a good idea.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You will be able to hit 2/3 man size steel at 200 yds with the 3x Vortex all day. You really should be able to do out much farther with a 3x. But if you want to go to 6x get something like the 1-6x Vortex Crossfire or the Primary Arms or Burris equivalent.

Muzzle brake makes (almost) no difference on an AR. Many people will tell you muzzle rise is because you are holding it wrong. The barrel is in line with the bolt, there is little upward pull. If you hold it "wrong" it rolls up your shoulder. I have a 1/2 muzzle brake 1/2 flash hider on mine. A lot of it is bad-ass looks and the placebo effect if you ask me.

The main reason not to get a really nice Geissele 2 stage trigger is that it will spoil you for other triggers. You will learn to hate all of them, which means you will need to get nice triggers from now on. Brownells still has the 2-stage on sale for $150 (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-enhanced-triggers-prod67223.aspx). Do It. On the other hand, if you want to learn trigger manipulation on a really gritty shitty heavy trigger, just buy a cheap revolver.

I would avoid drop-in triggers, for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom