• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Has anyone done a conversion to a ramped barrel on a 1911 in .45 ACP? I've read a bunch of different things online about it not being recommended for .45 ACP (but recommended for 9mm) although I'm thinking my situation might warrant it.

Long story short, I've owned a Colt 1991 for 20+ years and the gun has never liked hollow points. Chip McCormick, OEM Colt, and aftermarket magazines all the same where the edge of the HP opening gets hung up on the chamber mouth. About 10 years ago I was fitting a threaded barrel (fitment needed) and decided to work on the feed ramp and went too far so no more 1/32" lip. Nothing really changed, it still fed ball ok and still didn't like HP but what I did do is ensure that the original ramp could never be corrected (metal could be TIG welded in and reground but...).

So, since the original ramp can't be corrected, I've been contemplating a ramped barrel conversion where the smith grinds out the original ramp for clearance for the ramped barrel.

Anybody have this conversion done or have experience a ramped barrel .45 1911 vs original?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm not that conversant in 1911 mods but that conversion would be a forever modification...no going back. The feed ramp on the frame can be smoothed and polished and a different barrel that's been throated can be added which may cure the problem. Once you decide to do the conversion you're dependent on it fixing the issue. If it doesn't you have an expensive paperweight.

Speaking only for myself, if a throated barrel didn't make the difference I'd leave it as a hardball gun or sell it and get a one that will feed hollow points. The 1991A1 was initially an entry level Colt and early guns (I had one) were essentially updated original GI pistols that would only feed hardball. Maybe trying different hollow point loads might make a difference.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I do have some experience with this.

For starters, OEM colt barrels now have a notch taken out of the feed ramp which helps with reliability of feeding hollow points.

If you haven't tried the Check-Mate wadcutter feed ramp mags, then you have done yourself a disservice. (I have a couple, I will lend you one to try if you want). Check-Mate makes the OEM mags for Colt AFAIK, but they offer 3 different profiles for feed lips which may help.

If you are sure that you want to go with a ramped barrel, then that is fine, the extra case support is not needed with . 45 and will not necessarily fix your feed problems. (I had one I converted and nose diving jams turned into 3-point jams with a ramped barrel)

If you do convert your 1911, send it to a gunsmith. Conversely, you could just send the one you have to a gunsmith to have a threaded non-ramped barrel properly fitted.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    My RI 1911 won't feed HPs, and my uncle's 1917 GI version won't either. For home defense, I keep a HP as the first round in the mag, and then I can manually put the gun in to battery (if I pull the slide forward, it will load a HP)

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    My feelings - 45acp, unlike non-ramped barrels, feed ramped Barrels have a fully supported Chamber. This helps with elevated pressures. However, they do create feeding problems. Even the slightest mag follower nose dive can create issues. I have corrected this in the past by installing an EGW elevated height mag catch. But, sometimes the mag lips hit the underside of the Ejector. Accordingly, the lips on the elevated mag catch need to be machined slightly for clearance with that specific mag. You will then have to use only that mag for reliable feeding. This is due to the locking slot vertical height location on different manufacturer's mags.

For 9x19m, ramped barrels are great, especially with mags which have an anti-nose dive feed lip on the front. However, for 45acp, feed ramped barrels are a true headache, with the disadvantages far outweighing the advantages. I have learned this over the years on my own 1911s, the hard way! Unless you are a super world-class competitor, don't do it!

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    All, thank you very much for all of your insight. This is all great info.

I'm not that conversant in 1911 mods but that conversion would be a forever modification...no going back. The feed ramp on the frame can be smoothed and polished and a different barrel that's been throated can be added which may cure the problem. Once you decide to do the conversion you're dependent on it fixing the issue. If it doesn't you have an expensive paperweight.

Speaking only for myself, if a throated barrel didn't make the difference I'd leave it as a hardball gun or sell it and get a one that will feed hollow points. The 1991A1 was initially an entry level Colt and early guns (I had one) were essentially updated original GI pistols that would only feed hardball. Maybe trying different hollow point loads might make a difference.

My thinking was that I'd already messed up the feed ramp so I'd already passed the point of no turning back. Barrel is pretty well throated and the only thing left would be to see how much of the case is unsupported and see if I can grind the base/bottom of the chamber mouth back a little to expose the 1/32" feed ramp lip again. If I think I've got something to work with I'd be willing to risk the barrel. On the other hand, it does seem to feed ball ok and thus far I've relegated it to a ball-ammo-only safe queen.

I did get one hangup with ball ammo last week while running suppressed but until I can reproduce that I'm writing that one off for now. Has generally fed ball fine otherwise whether shooting or hand cycling.

I do have some experience with this.

For starters, OEM colt barrels now have a notch taken out of the feed ramp which helps with reliability of feeding hollow points.

If you haven't tried the Check-Mate wadcutter feed ramp mags, then you have done yourself a disservice. (I have a couple, I will lend you one to try if you want). Check-Mate makes the OEM mags for Colt AFAIK, but they offer 3 different profiles for feed lips which may help.

If you are sure that you want to go with a ramped barrel, then that is fine, the extra case support is not needed with . 45 and will not necessarily fix your feed problems. (I had one I converted and nose diving jams turned into 3-point jams with a ramped barrel)

If you do convert your 1911, send it to a gunsmith. Conversely, you could just send the one you have to a gunsmith to have a threaded non-ramped barrel properly fitted.

That's great advice, I'm going to order one of those magazines and see if that helps. My Chip McCormick feeds the worst of all of my magazines including OEM Colt and repros. Granted, the feed ramp is messed up but if I can get it running with just a good magazine then it's worth a shot. Only thing I have to lose is another spare magazine and I go back to running ball only.

My RI 1911 won't feed HPs, and my uncle's 1917 GI version won't either. For home defense, I keep a HP as the first round in the mag, and then I can manually put the gun in to battery (if I pull the slide forward, it will load a HP)

Unfortunately, if it's one of the hollow points it doesn't like then it won't feed manually from a magazine. Only option is an extractor killing drop-it-in-the-pipe and then insert the magazine. Lip of the HP opening literally catches the bottom of the barrel and gets hung up. Some of them feed just fine depending on what mood the gun is in, moon phase, planetary alignment, solar flares, etc.

Fortunately I've got plenty of reliable guns so no defense duty for the 1911.

My feelings - 45acp, unlike non-ramped barrels, feed ramped Barrels have a fully supported Chamber. This helps with elevated pressures. However, they do create feeding problems. Even the slightest mag follower nose dive can create issues. I have corrected this in the past by installing an EGW elevated height mag catch. But, sometimes the mag lips hit the underside of the Ejector. Accordingly, the lips on the elevated mag catch need to be machined slightly for clearance with that specific mag. You will then have to use only that mag for reliable feeding. This is due to the locking slot vertical height location on different manufacturer's mags.

For 9x19m, ramped barrels are great, especially with mags which have an anti-nose dive feed lip on the front. However, for 45acp, feed ramped barrels are a true headache, with the disadvantages far outweighing the advantages. I have learned this over the years on my own 1911s, the hard way! Unless you are a super world-class competitor, don't do it!

This is very helpful info, especially coming from a pro such as yourself. I had been reading a bit about the ramped barrels and some were saying they weren't good for .45 ACP but the reports were just short anecdotal statements with nothing to substantiate the claims. Your input alone has swayed me away from the ramped barrel conversion. It reminded me to re-read the concept of operation of the 1911's controlled feeding principle and sort of understanding why they actually don't work that well.

A few of my colleagues are retired SEALs and we had been talking about all the breakages we'd seen with M9s and the topic went to the customized 1911s they were using before the Mk25 was issued. One friend commented about the improvements they saw with the ramped barrels but who knows what else had been done to the guns, they were running spec magazines, and spec ammo (not necessarily ball but would have been a certain type/mfr). Thats what gave me the idea initially since I was thinking "well, I've got a 1911 with a bad feed ramp, I wonder if I could have it cut for a ramped barrel."

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I fitted two ramped barrels in 1911's and there really isn't any advantage to it. I still have one of the pistols and it runs perfectly, my pin gun. I do recall having to set the ramp forward some and attention to the ramp to chamber transition properly touched up. You may have a fubar'd ramp, that is another issue. Also, the present ramp can be welded, recut or a steel insert fitted and installed. I had a Para Limited 14-45 that would feed perfectly (if using a shock buff I had to make sure it was trimmed to the side of the batter shield on the recoil spring guide. The feed angle can be sharper and that can be an issue. Try the strongest mag springs you can find.

Another thing to do. Ensure unloaded pistol and pull the slide and barrel assembly off the frame. Use dial calipers and measure from the vertical impact surface (the vertical flat just behind the slide stop in holes) to the very top of the feed ramp. You may have to tilt the calipers a bit to make the measurement. If you have .246" or more, you can probably fit another barrel or possibly save this one. Any chance of getting a pic of the barrel ramp, frame ramp and the barrel seated on the frame?

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I fitted two ramped barrels in 1911's and there really isn't any advantage to it. I still have one of the pistols and it runs perfectly, my pin gun. I do recall having to set the ramp forward some and attention to the ramp to chamber transition properly touched up. You may have a fubar'd ramp, that is another issue. Also, the present ramp can be welded, recut or a steel insert fitted and installed. I had a Para Limited 14-45 that would feed perfectly (if using a shock buff I had to make sure it was trimmed to the side of the batter shield on the recoil spring guide. The feed angle can be sharper and that can be an issue. Try the strongest mag springs you can find.

Another thing to do. Ensure unloaded pistol and pull the slide and barrel assembly off the frame. Use dial calipers and measure from the vertical impact surface (the vertical flat just behind the slide stop in holes) to the very top of the feed ramp. You may have to tilt the calipers a bit to make the measurement. If you have .246" or more, you can probably fit another barrel or possibly save this one. Any chance of getting a pic of the barrel ramp, frame ramp and the barrel seated on the frame?

I think I've definitely given up on the ramped barrel idea for all of the reasons mentioned although I'm fairly certain the ramp is fubar'd as too much material was removed (it was just pushed too far forward). I might consider some more substantial feed ramp work eventually but I'd be happy if a band aid fix of magazines and additional barrel throating/polishing fixed the issue and while messing around with the barrel and a few magazines last night it seems possible.

It looks like the barrel still has a little room to go for throating if needed and I took a little sand paper to the base of the chamber opening last night and it seems like I might have some room to go there. I checked a few of the magazines and one of them seems to feed ok with hollow points after polishing the chamber mouth a little more so I think I might be on to something. Watching it feed, it seems to feed nicely if the round goes straight in vs having to climb the feed ramp or nose down into the ramp before tilting back up. With the one magazine that now seemed to be working, the round followed a relatively straight path forward, more so than the others. The Chip McCormick was just a little too low and the HP would caught caught at the bottom of the chamber mouth (this is an old magazine, apparently they redesigned them at some point).

I'm looking at the CheckMate wadcutter magazines that Boats recommended as well as a few others brands. The only issue I see with the CheckMate wadcutter magazines is they don't have an anti-dive follower and at least some of my magazines seem like diving is an issue against the barrel/ramp profile I have. I'm also looking at MecGar and Wilson - Wilson has a solid plastic follower with nice ramp and MecGar has a sheetmetal anti-dive follower with some kind of reinforcing/alignment tab on the side.

I'll try to get some pics of the barrel and ramp tonight or probably tomorrow.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Trying to attach photos from my cell phone, we’ll see if it works.

I think the ramp is definitely toast.

I messed around with it for an hour or so last night and did find that the OEM Colt magazines did feed the best, feeding 7/10 hollow points and 10/10 ball. They also have the stiffest springs and very little dive to the follower and what appears to be hybrid feed lips. The old Chip McCormick magazine was the worst, the follower bounces back and forth like a seesaw and won’t feed hollow points at all, followed by the Star Line magazines (pictured, same follower as CMC) which dive pretty bad and feed maybe 4/10 hollow points. The Chip McCormick would occasionally hang up on ball ammo.

I’m thinking the follower dive isn’t an issue in an unaltered 1911 feeding ball ammo due to the way the controlled round feed works - it’s supposed to ram into the ramp and then get picked up from there. So these magazines were designed correctly for their intended purpose but won’t work for me at all.

First thing I’m going to try is getting some mags with anti-dive followers and stiff springs. There are some spring/follower conversion kits available for the original mags and a particular MecGar magazine I want to try. May give the CheckMates a try but, even though they have great reviews from people using them in unaltered 1911s, I’ve got kind of a special case here and they have the same follower that’s already not working for me.

Attachments

• 619B1B2F-3303-49D8-8433-7AEA5D4DCAB4.jpg
      619B1B2F-3303-49D8-8433-7AEA5D4DCAB4.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 1,024
    • 14DDFCD0-53CE-46F4-B953-D400552E7465.jpg
      14DDFCD0-53CE-46F4-B953-D400552E7465.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 1,171
    • 5DA9AECF-0984-42E9-8893-9CE323FC6970.jpg
      5DA9AECF-0984-42E9-8893-9CE323FC6970.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 1,460
    • 7C6A5E2D-558E-4A9A-B642-B83B4EDF66F7.jpg
      7C6A5E2D-558E-4A9A-B642-B83B4EDF66F7.jpg
      50.1 KB · Views: 987
    • 09DD4F77-3DDE-4B67-A884-887556E6A15E.jpg
      09DD4F77-3DDE-4B67-A884-887556E6A15E.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 986

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^....this. And your frame feedramp is definitely in need of attention. The top of the ramp is rounded, not good, and exposing the feeding round to the sharp edge of the barrel ramp. That should be a 1/32 inch or greater gap from frame feed ramp to barrel ramp.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    ^^^....this. And your frame feedramp is definitely in need of attention. The top of the ramp is rounded, not good, and exposing the feeding round to the sharp edge of the barrel ramp. That should be a 1/32 inch or greater gap from frame feed ramp to barrel ramp.

Right, thats what I’ve been saying. The ramp is toast, too much material removed and 1/32 gap long gone. There’s no putting the edge back on.

I don’t think there’s anything I can do with that ramp in it’s current form and that’s why I had been wondering about a ramped barrel. If that had been a decent option then I could have had a smith cut that mess out altogether and fit a ramped barrel. There are a couple of welding options that come to mind but going to save that as a last resort.

I’m going to tinker with a few magazine options first. The idea is to sort of override the controlled round feeding, for lack of a better description. The magazines that have minimal dive (OEM Colt, hybrid lips) will feed the hollow points to an extent and will feed fine if the magazine is physically pushed up slightly. In that case, the rounds seem to bypass the frame ramp altogether and run straight into the very widely throated opening to the chamber, which becomes a de facto feed ramp. When the rounds go up and straight into the barrel throat without diving into a ramp that’s not there, they feed fine.

I’ve ordered a really nice Tripp Research magazine with really solid, long, no-dive follower. That’s to establish a baseline for the best case scenario. I also ordered a Tripp Research conversion kit for one of the other magazines which would convert it that to the same follower and spring. If I can replicate the feeding geometry of the pushed-up OEM magazine then it should actually feed quite well.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Trying to attach photos from my cell phone, we’ll see if it works.

I think the ramp is definitely toast.

I messed around with it for an hour or so last night and did find that the OEM Colt magazines did feed the best, feeding 7/10 hollow points and 10/10 ball. They also have the stiffest springs and very little dive to the follower and what appears to be hybrid feed lips. The old Chip McCormick magazine was the worst, the follower bounces back and forth like a seesaw and won’t feed hollow points at all, followed by the Star Line magazines (pictured, same follower as CMC) which dive pretty bad and feed maybe 4/10 hollow points. The Chip McCormick would occasionally hang up on ball ammo.

I’m thinking the follower dive isn’t an issue in an unaltered 1911 feeding ball ammo due to the way the controlled round feed works - it’s supposed to ram into the ramp and then get picked up from there. So these magazines were designed correctly for their intended purpose but won’t work for me at all.

First thing I’m going to try is getting some mags with anti-dive followers and stiff springs. There are some spring/follower conversion kits available for the original mags and a particular MecGar magazine I want to try. May give the CheckMates a try but, even though they have great reviews from people using them in unaltered 1911s, I’ve got kind of a special case here and they have the same follower that’s already not working for me.

The max SAAMI spec for an unsupported chamber is 0.090". To my eyes, you've way gone over that dimension on the barrel feed ramp. This means danger of a shell case rupture, which is not a pretty thing. Welding kills heat treating, unless you use expensive/high tech welding. Laser Welding has a very small localised heat affected area, but it uses a 0.005" thick welding rod. Guess how many passes it will take to repair your damaged area (a lot!). Then, the area needs to be annealed. Then, who will machine the new metal to spec? Per ATF, only the possessor of a FFL can work on your pistol, if he keeps it for more than 24 hours. Your barrel is not repairable. It also looks like the top of the frame's feed ramp has been buggered up. A machined insert can fix this problem, but is this within your area of expertise? The more that you work your pistol, the more damage you are doing. Mags are not going to solve your problem. I frankly do not recommend any machining/metal removal be done by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith. If you had done this in the beginning, it would cost you far less money than will now be required to fix your pistol. Consider this situation to be a lesson learned on false economy.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    A picture is worth 1000 words.

At this point, if it were my gun and the magazines don't work, I would take some material off the throat at 6 o'clock to get it behind the feed ramp. I wouldn't go too wide, only a couple milimeters, but enough to make sure the tip of the bullet makes a smooth transition from feed ramp to chamber. Esentially forcing the 5 and 7 o'clock parts of the bullet to engage more with the throat during loading.

Again, IF the new mags don't work.

Like the barrel on the right in the attached pic

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
      barrel.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 257

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    A picture is worth 1000 words.

At this point, if it were my gun and the magazines don't work, I would take some material off the throat at 6 o'clock to get it behind the feed ramp. I wouldn't go too wide, only a couple milimeters, but enough to make sure the tip of the bullet makes a smooth transition from feed ramp to chamber. Esentially forcing the 5 and 7 o'clock parts of the bullet to engage more with the throat during loading.

Again, IF the new mags don't work.

Like the barrel on the right in the attached pic

I was thinking that at first but upon closer inspection the other night, when I really had a chance to sit down and look closely at all the damage I did 10 years ago, I realized that no more material can come off either the ramp or the barrel.

The original thinking was that, since the ramp was destroyed and needed professional repair, I could have a smith cut that ramp and fit a new ramped barrel. The thinking with the ramped barrel was that I had issues with hollow points even when new, so maybe a ramped barrel would not only fix my ruined ramp but also give improved feeding with hollow points. Since you guys have confirmed that the ramped barrels bring their own problems, the only recourse for proper repair is to have a smith fit a new ramp insert or weld material back on to the ramp, the insert being the correct option.

To be clear, I have no intent of ever touching that ramp myself again. Anything that's done in that area of the gun is going out to a professional.

I don't expect the magazines to fix anything per se nor do I blame the original magazines as they should work as intended for an unadulterated gun. However, new magazines are a no-loss option right now because, even if they don't work, I still end up with a few nice magazines and need to have the ramp fixed anyway. I did discover that hollow points will feed quite well if the followers have minimal dive and the magazine is pressed up slightly. They feed right in. No, this isn't the magazines' fault, that's my fault for ruining the feed ramp so I'm not blaming the magazines for this, just that I noticed that there's a certain geometry that seems to work.

Last edited:

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Can we all please agree that a Barrel Ramp that exceeds 0.090" unsupported chamber (SAAMI absolute max) is unsafe to fire, due to danger of case rupture???? Last Summer, I had to pick out 6 pieces of brass shards from a shooter's face with tweezers from the range first aid kit, as a result of a case rupture of a 45acp 1911. The ammo was plain old 230 gr Ball. No amount of additional metal removal or different magazines is going to lessen the danger of case rupture with the subject Barrel, judging from the pics.

I'm sure that this news is unpleasant for the owner to hear, but please consider your personal safety and that of others around you.

Last edited:

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Can we all please agree that a Barrel Ramp that exceeds 0.090" unsupported chamber (SAAMI absolute max) is unsafe to fire, due to danger of case rupture???? Last Summer, I had to pick out 6 pieces of brass shards from a shooter's face with tweezers from the range first aid kit, as a result of a case rupture of a 45acp 1911. The ammo was plain old 230 gr Ball. No amount of additional metal removal or different magazines is going to lessen the danger of case rupture with the subject Barrel, judging from the pics.

I'm sure that this news is unpleasant for the owner to hear, but please consider your personal safety and that of others around you.

Yup, it's back to the stock barrel for now until I can obtain a replacement threaded barrel and have it fitted. I measured last night and it's definitely in excess of .090". Just out of curiosity, I'm going to measure it again at some point just to see exactly where it's at. I got a fairly consistent .11" but that didn't account for any space behind the case head (not quite the extent the photos make it seem but still way out of spec).

jamestheless

Jul 29, 2021
    Most modern semi-automatic handguns have ramped bbls from the factory when the bbls are manufactured. The 1911 is not a modern firearm. John M. Browning designed his bbl with no ramp. His feed ramp was in the frame with 1/32" clearance below the bbl. Today you may purchase 1911 bbls ramped or unramped, but you cannot switch back and forth, without modifying the frame each time. Sorry. A ramped bbl will not fit a frame that already has a ramp♡.

jamestheless

Jul 29, 2021
    Most modern semi-automatic handguns have ramped bbls from the factory when the bbls are manufactured. The 1911 is not a modern firearm. John M. Browning designed his bbl with no ramp. His feed ramp was in the frame with 1/32" clearance below the bbl. Today you may purchase 1911 bbls ramped or unramped, but you cannot switch back and forth, without modifying the frame each time. Sorry. A ramped bbl will not fit a frame that already has a ramp♡.

jamestheless

Jul 29, 2021
    Ramped bbl

A ramped bbl is a bbl with a ramp. Not complicated. An un-ramped bbl is a bbl with no ramp. If a bbl has no ramp it must be installed in a gun that already has a ramp. If a bbl has a ramp, it cannot be installed in a gun that already has a ramp. Not complicated. Try it this way. Shakes head. Most modern semi-automatic pistols have a ramped bbl...made as one piece of metal with the bbl. Hear this...the 1911 is not a modern pistol. John Moses Browing originally made his 1911 pistol bbl with no ramp...no ramp made as part of the bbl. His ramp...was in the frame...not forged as part of the bbl...but made as part of the frame. Ok? A ramped bbl cannot be placed in gun that already has a ramp in the frame. Duh, that would be 2 ramps. Not complicated. Colt and RIA both build 1911s with and without ramped bbls. But they do not interchange without major, expensive smithing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom