• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I’m wondering what those of you who wet tumble do with your nickel cases. The reason I ask is I just started wet tumbling with SS pins, Lemi Shine, and Dawn dish liquid, and use a Thumblers Tumbler Model B. I ran some 10mm cases of both brass and nickel together for about an hour and a half, when I took the cases out they looked dirty and dull. Now when I ran just brass cases I didn’t get the dull and dirty problem the cases looked like perfect new cases.
    I can take a rag and the nickel cases will polish back to shiny but the brass cases remain dull but clean. Does anybody have an idea what might be happening? It seems that different headstamp nickel cases came out differently also, the Sig cases were bright, Federal and Winchester were so so, and the Speer cases were the dullest and dirtiest. I know it won’t make a bit of difference in loading them but I’m pretty sure I’ll stay away from wet tumbling the Nickel cases unless I can figure out how to keep them from tarnishing.
    On the left are the repolished cases, the right are just tumbled.

Attachments

• 058805B0-9C94-435A-9D43-FBDB8331A816.jpg
      058805B0-9C94-435A-9D43-FBDB8331A816.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 218

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Picture of some brass cases tumbled without Nickel cases in the mix.

Attachments

• D5BE8EAF-12F1-473B-A8AA-44DC18251FDA.jpg
      D5BE8EAF-12F1-473B-A8AA-44DC18251FDA.jpg
      142.8 KB · Views: 220

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I mix both types when I wet tumble or I do them in separate batches I use 1x 45acp casing of lemi shine, cold water to top of brass and go 1lb pins to 1lb brass for 1hr in my Frankfort arsenal tumbler. Then when they come out rinse in cold water towel dry the cases real quick then I put in my food dehydrator for 30mintues and finished.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I mix both types when I wet tumble or I do them in separate batches I use 1x 45acp casing of lemi shine, cold water to top of brass and go 1lb pins to 1lb brass for 1hr in my Frankfort arsenal tumbler. Then when they come out rinse in cold water towel dry the cases real quick then I put in my food dehydrator for 30mintues and finished.

Well maybe it’s the dawn that’s turning the nickel cases since it seems that’s about the only thing I’m doing different during the tumbling stage.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Well maybe it’s the dawn that’s turning the nickel cases since it seems that’s about the only thing I’m doing different during the tumbling stage.

Either batch looks purdy enough to load up to me. You must be working on some stashed cases. Heck, we Hooligans haven't helped you pick up very many dirty range cases in that caliber in a while.

:innocent0

;)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Either batch looks purdy enough to load up to me. You must be working on some stashed cases. Heck, we Hooligans haven't helped you pick up very many dirty range cases in that caliber in a while.

:innocent0

;)

I have a South Carolina connection, he brought me back a pile of brass from a range close to where they go for their annual hog hunt. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom