• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bearabledust

Dec 21, 2011
    Catonsville
    I'm looking at becoming a BSA Rifle Shooting merit badge counselor. Anybody know of a place that does the NRA basic instructor and Rifle instructor classes?

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    from the district newsletter

NRA Firearms Training for BSA Leaders

SFS will offer the following discounted training for BSA Leaders. Each meets a pecific Qualified Supervision BSA requirement for youth shooting.

4/9 NRA Range Safety Officer $45
    4/2 NRA Basic Instructor Training $50 ($35 BSA)
    4/3 NRA Rifle Instructor Training* $100 ($85 BSA)
    4/16 NRA Pistol Instructor Training* $100 ($68 BSA)

*Written, firearm handling, and marksmanship requirements

Contact Hal Noer for specific details on these courses.
    hnre@xecu.net // 301-639-9484

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

SFS will offer the following discounted training for BSA Leaders. Each meets a pecific Qualified Supervision BSA requirement for youth shooting.

Damn...my wife would probably like to do rifle, but that weekend we are already committed to Four Rivers District Merit Badge Madness.

I would like to try for an RSO or two.

I am already Rifle and Shotgun qualified.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I just did an RSO class at Elk Neck last week and an NRA Rifle class in November at the AGC.

bearabledust,

I highly recommend you get your NRA instructor certification under Mike Bruzdzinski; he's a great counselor and did our training.

To maintain NRA instructor status, Mike informed me that you need to log in and register at least one person that you have trained (doesn't have to be an NRA course, but just firearms related). I read that at one of the NRA conventions, they ideally would like this done at least once every year, but I don't think they are bumping out instructors for not doing it.

Because of the dues and way it works, if you are going to be an NRA instructor, I recommend you either just get one certification, or do several; the fees are structured better if you do several.

I've also noticed as an NRA instructor you'll get special offers from partner company's; some of these are really good deals. So if you are just getting started and buying a bunch of stuff, it will save a lot of money.

Last NRA point I'd like to make... Many of the NRA courses are now hybrid, meaning your students will take part of the course online, then attend your classroom session for the rest of the training and review. Some like this, others do not. Personally I'd rather spend the entire time with a student, so I can gauge how their taking in what I'm showing them. Firearms are obviously inherently very dangerous; I don't like the idea of new folks (no competent instruction or experience) handling firearms outside of my control. After the first couple hours of training with me (or any other instructor I know well), they can safely do a lot with the firearm. I guess the logic is, most students already own a firearm and the fundamental safety rules are very simple and straight forward, so there's no additional risk. I feel it is in a large part our responsibility to identify students who should NOT be licensed, or even allowed to handle firearms. Its extremely rare, but this 'common sense' seems to be no longer common. I know that might sound like an anti opinion, but I'm referring to the handful of nut-jobs that have gotten a hold of guns and killed a bunch of innocent people. I've read about many of them, and all were obvious nut-jobs and should never have gotten their hands on a gun in the first place.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I guess the logic is, most students already own a firearm and the fundamental safety rules are very simple and straight forward, so there's no additional risk. I feel it is in a large part our responsibility to identify students who should NOT be licensed, or even allowed to handle firearms. Its extremely rare, but this 'common sense' seems to be no longer common. I know that might sound like an anti opinion, but I'm referring to the handful of nut-jobs that have gotten a hold of guns and killed a bunch of innocent people. I've read about many of them, and all were obvious nut-jobs and should never have gotten their hands on a gun in the first place.

What I read said it was done to increase the consistency of the material presented. Apparently a number of instructors go too fast over parts NRA considers important rather than following the guidelines for time aloted to each section.

I agree, the longer time spent with students is valuable; in the way you present and others.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Don't forget, taking the Basic Rifle and/or Pistol classes themselves is a pre-req for taking the instructor training classes; they are not concurrent.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I am doing a Basic Pistol Instructor in Middletown VA first part of April.
    Not sure that helps.

Remember it is strongly recommended that you take the class as a student before you take it as an instructor. Some Training Counselors will not give you an instructor class unless you have had the class as a student.

Chris

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I took mine at Broad Creek, the guys that run the office there have the details.
    Though +1 @ trailman's post for the SFS classes... very reasonable

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Don't forget, taking the Basic Rifle and/or Pistol classes themselves is a pre-req for taking the instructor training classes; they are not concurrent.

NRA Basic Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun are not pre-requisites for becoming an instructor. The only exception is you must have NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home before taking Personal Protection Outside the Home (may change soon as both courses may be combined). Some NRA TC insist on it but it is not an NRA requirement. The only NRA requirement is that instructor candidates must pass the pre-qualification written exam and practical exercise.

From the NRA Instructors website:

"Possession of basic firearm safety and shooting skills is a perquisite for certification as an NRA instructor. Prior to the instructor training, candidates complete a pre-course questionnaire and demonstrate their firearm background in pre-course assessment exercises. "

The NRA places emphasis on the instructor candidates to be able to the pass each discipline specific (rifle/pistol/shotgun) written pre-qualification exam and the actual on the range practical pre-qualifications. The details for each of the practical (on the range) pre-qualification is available for the student to download when registering for the instructor course. All instructor candidates must also pass the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) prior to attending the instructor class.

Personally, I think it is a good idea to have taken the classes as it gives the candidate instructor a idea of how the class should be conducted (assuming it was done according to the NRA instructor guide).

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    NRA Basic Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun are not pre-requisites for becoming an instructor. The only exception is you must have NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home before taking Personal Protection Outside the Home (may change soon as both courses may be combined). Some NRA TC insist on it but it is not an NRA requirement. The only NRA requirement is that instructor candidates must pass the pre-qualification written exam and practical exercise.

From the NRA Instructors website:

"Possession of basic firearm safety and shooting skills is a perquisite for certification as an NRA instructor. Prior to the instructor training, candidates complete a pre-course questionnaire and demonstrate their firearm background in pre-course assessment exercises. "

The NRA places emphasis on the instructor candidates to be able to the pass each discipline specific (rifle/pistol/shotgun) written pre-qualification exam and the actual on the range practical pre-qualifications. The details for each of the practical (on the range) pre-qualification is available for the student to download when registering for the instructor course. All instructor candidates must also pass the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) prior to attending the instructor class.

Personally, I think it is a good idea to have taken the classes as it gives the candidate instructor a idea of how the class should be conducted (assuming it was done according to the NRA instructor guide).

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I think you mentioned this during our class or on these forums before; but I see I wasn't the only one that couldn't remember.

Just so you know, after our chat at the gun show a few weeks ago, I did what you said and logged back into the NRA's instructor website. It had been over a year, and I hadn't listed anyone. The NRA accepted my logging in a friend that I had instructed not long ago; so I'm still in good standing - as you suggested. Thanks for the tips on how to navigate through all the NRA courses and enter a 'private' class (non-NRA); it worked fine. The gentleman I entered is already an NRA benefactor/life member, so he didn't mind my giving them his personal/contact info. :thumbsup:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Thanks for the clarification Mike. I think you mentioned this during our class or on these forums before; but I see I wasn't the only one that couldn't remember.

Just so you know, after our chat at the gun show a few weeks ago, I did what you said and logged back into the NRA's instructor website. It had been over a year, and I hadn't listed anyone. The NRA accepted my logging in a friend that I had instructed not long ago; so I'm still in good standing - as you suggested. Thanks for the tips on how to navigate through all the NRA courses and enter a 'private' class (non-NRA); it worked fine. The gentleman I entered is already an NRA benefactor/life member, so he didn't mind my giving them his personal/contact info. :thumbsup:

When you enter in 'students' always remember to uncheck the box at the end of the screen about forwarding their information to NRA for other mailings. I do it as a courtesy as I hate getting bombarded with all of NRA related e-mails.

The NRA has been cracking down on instructors who have been slacking about giving courses. The BIT states that the NRA expects an instructor to conduct at least one course per year. Not sure what criteria the NRA uses but I know of several instructors who offer classes but have failed to download/keep current of the latest instructor manuals/tests. Again, this is one of the reasons the NRA is going to on-line classes as it ensures the student gets the latest materials and lessons.

It is sad to have come to this, but many instructors have just varied their "NRA BASIC XXXXX" to far from the NRA lesson plans and materials. I have an instructor at the AGC who has not updated their handbook since 2000! They still use the paperbound pistol shooting guide and wall charts only. They refuse to use the Powerpoint.

bearabledust

Dec 21, 2011
    Catonsville
    Thanks guys. I'm in Catonsville (Arrowhead District). And also a member at AGC. Dumb question, what/who/where is SFS? They sound like what I'm looking for. I'm also trying to get another leader or two to take the courses with me.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    When you enter in 'students' always remember to uncheck the box at the end of the screen about forwarding their information to NRA for other mailings. I do it as a courtesy as I hate getting bombarded with all of NRA related e-mails.

The NRA has been cracking down on instructors who have been slacking about giving courses. The BIT states that the NRA expects an instructor to conduct at least one course per year. Not sure what criteria the NRA uses but I know of several instructors who offer classes but have failed to download/keep current of the latest instructor manuals/tests. Again, this is one of the reasons the NRA is going to on-line classes as it ensures the student gets the latest materials and lessons.

It is sad to have come to this, but many instructors have just varied their "NRA BASIC XXXXX" to far from the NRA lesson plans and materials. I have an instructor at the AGC who has not updated their handbook since 2000! They still use the paperbound pistol shooting guide and wall charts only. They refuse to use the Powerpoint.

Roger that; thanks!

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm looking at becoming a BSA Rifle Shooting merit badge counselor. Anybody know of a place that does the NRA basic instructor and Rifle instructor classes?

I think the point of my post was really, ask someone at district. The council runs programs all the time to get this covered.

I'm actually looking forward to this summer, first summer camp with 2nd son, oldest is 23 and an Eagle. Get to spend all camp on the rifle range. :thumbsup:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I think the point of my post was really, ask someone at district. The council runs programs all the time to get this covered.

I'm actually looking forward to this summer, first summer camp with 2nd son, oldest is 23 and an Eagle. Get to spend all camp on the rifle range. :thumbsup:

That's awesome.

Can't wait until my son (just got his Wolf!) is old enough for Boy Scout summer camp so I have an excuse to go hang out at camp for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom