• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I am finally going to buy an automatic powder dispenser and scale combo, any suggestions. I am going to do only handgun loads, 45 acp and 9 mm. Anybody have success with any automatic powder dispenser. Currently using lee powder dispenser from the turrent press, and the lee powder measure I got from a single stage press, also lee. Its been good to me, but I want the machine to do the work for me instead of me doing the work. Any suggestion would be appreicated. I am leaning towards the hornady lock n load but also looking at RCBS one too. Are there any other brand that I should be looking into? Thanks.

CXD Arms

Feb 27, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    +1 for the Hornady LNL. I tried the Lee and while some their products are great, plastic powder dispensers just don't have the precision that the a metal dispenser has.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I like the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 also. I have two of them because I am impatient.

FYI... It does not like the cold.
    Use it in climate controlled area and leave it plugged in.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I like the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 also. I have two of them because I am impatient.

Yes. I've got one too. A little slow, but if you are single staging, you can run a charge while seating. Still not as fast as using a powder drop, so I fall back to that if I'm not too concerned about perfect loads.

I am not really sure how you would integrate this kind of dispenser into a turret or progressive loading scheme.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I took your class, great class by the way, and was sold on the 1500. I have a system where in, I load one round at a time, while I'm pressing one round, my next load is trickling. By that time, I'm ready to fill the next case. No waiting. No tray fool of charged/uncharged cases. I pull a primed case from a Berry bullet box and return it, fully loaded in about10-12 seconds.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    I am finally going to buy an automatic powder dispenser and scale combo, any suggestions.
    RCBS ChargeMaster has been perfect for me.
    I am going to do only handgun loads, 45 acp and 9 mm.
    That's what they all say.
    Anybody have success with any automatic powder dispenser.
    Had nothing but success with mine. The most it has done is to over-shoot by 0.001 gn, which will make no difference to the load, but I still will touch the powder and remove a couple of kernels of powder and I have the "right" weight showing on the scale.
    Mine can keep up with my 1050s when I am doing load development. Once I have a load, I go to a regular powder measure.
    Remember, you are shooting 6-18+ MOA guns at 50 yards or less, so a small variation in charge weight is not going to effect accuracy (unless, maybe, you are loading for .25 or .32 Auto).
    Once you are down to 0.4MOA, a 0.2gn variation might be of some concern.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I took your class, great class by the way, and was sold on the 1500. I have a system where in, I load one round at a time, while I'm pressing one round, my next load is trickling. By that time, I'm ready to fill the next case. No waiting. No tray fool of charged/uncharged cases. I pull a primed case from a Berry bullet box and return it, fully loaded in about10-12 seconds.

Yes. I remember you and the class. Thank you for the compliment.

I have a couple of trays set up with "ready to load" brass.
    I will charge 50 or 100 pieces of brass then move to the press.

I agree... If you charge one round then go to the press you are fine with 1 machine.

For consistency sake I do the same step as many times as I can before progressing to the next step...
    So I will prime 250 pieces all at one.
    Charge all at once....
    I seat all the bullets at once then go back and crimp...

So ... that is just me...

Sorry don't mean to thread jack...

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I am not really sure how you would integrate this kind of dispenser into a turret or progressive loading scheme.

For turrett press, remove the powder drop and replace it with a funnel. Raise the ram, pour the powder through the funnel to the case. Not sure about a progressive, I have never used one.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    +1 for the Hornady LNL. I tried the Lee and while some their products are great, plastic powder dispensers just don't have the precision that the a metal dispenser has.

I guess I have been lucky, because despite some leakage issues with real fine powders, I've had insanely good results with the auto disk powder measure, the adjustable charge bar (that I modified with some JB weld and card stock), and my Perfect Powder Measure too.

It was broken and a friend was going to toss it. I used electrical tape and made a wood stand to fix it.

I also have a RCBS Uniflow and with almost every powder I have, the Lee is more consistent.

I realize this doesn't seem to be the typical result, but I guess I'm lucky like I said.

My back gets to me real bad while trickling all my rifle loads, so I am also going to be buying one of these automatic measures soon. I will probably try the Hornady, Grafs has it and I have a C&R discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom