• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    A friend is planning on moving to Garrett Co in the near future.We were there doing some trout fishing over the weekend on the North Branch and checked out the lake.Can anybody give us any hints or tips fishing the lake?We are after the next world record trout,walleye or catfish ;)

BTW....how deep is Blue Hole? We envisioned a ball of trout somewhere down there.

TomF

Dec 16, 2014
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I've only ever been on that lake once. At one point the depth finder said 485' causing the pucker meter to go bizurk. Of course that was at the intake tower. The backwaters are loaded with bass and walleye.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    There should be a lot of walleye in there.WV has released 2,500,000 walleye fry in the last 4 yrs.I would say any fish of size have had their way with them.

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    A lot of walleye but the majority are small. The best chance of a record fish would be catfish. Have seen some huge channels come out of there. Not fighters but huge rock bass are numerous. Never heard much about trout in the lake but there used to be some monsters in the stilling basin below the dam.

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    I grew up in Keyser and love it there. Great bass. It's amazing how deep it gets. Boat launch area on WV side is also very nice. I've heard if you fish deep there's some whoppers on the bottom. My son and I fished from our kayak and didn't see a soul. Total zen fishing.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    The lake is very deep (280 feet) and there is very little structure. Don't try to fish " the lake", but rather all the little tributaries that run into the lake. The little streams wash a lot of bait it. Good luck, I've done VERY well on that lake.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    The lake is very deep (280 feet) and there is very little structure. Don't try to fish " the lake", but rather all the little tributaries that run into the lake. The little streams wash a lot of bait it. Good luck, I've done VERY well on that lake.

Great first post Park Ranger! Welcome!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Im glad this post is getting some attention.I will be fishing there next summer once my friend builds his house and gets settled in.All tips are welcomed and appreciated.

Welcome Park Ranger......maybe we will run into each other someday

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Launch from the WV side.. much nicer

The west Virginia side is very nice. Make sure the check water levels first however, this past labor day weekend, that dock was out of the water while Maryland had plenty of room left. Also WV side is currently a free launch, MD is $5. Barring extremely bad weather, MD is open April 1 to mid October.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Can anyone give directions to get there?

The Maryland side access is off Rt 135 at the top of Swanton Hill Road. The ramp is a couple miles south on a country road.

The West Virginia access is off Rt 46 between Bloomington & Elk Garden. The ramp is right off Rt 46.

4570inMD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom