Dicks Sports in Columbia does not sell firearmss.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    HOWARD COUNTY SUCKS

Go to Montgomery or PG. They are much better.

With that said, I will say that Howard County is going the way of Montgomery and PG. It is striving to be a nanny state, and those in the eastern side of the county seem to be welcoming it with open arms. They just need somebody to tell them which way to march and how to live their lives.

Guys, this happened in 2010 or earlier. I moved into my current house in February 2011, and was in my townhouse when I received a letter from Dicks stating that it would no longer be selling hunting and fishing stuff at the Columbia location. I think there might actually have been a second store listed on the flier.

Now, there has been a lot of speculation in this thread about why Dicks no longer sells hunting and fishing stuff in Columbia, but who the heck really knows. I speculate that that it wasn't because of the PTA coming into a huge company the size of Dicks, which had just bought out Galyans, and telling it to stop selling firearms. If Dicks was making money selling firearms in Columbia, MD, I am betting it would still be doing so.

Now, ask yourself why the Dicks in White Marsh has such a crappy gun selection compared to what I saw at the Dicks in Tampa, Florida. There were 3 different models of the Beretta A400 on the wall at the Dicks in Tampa. There were 4 Benellis on the wall.

Next, ask yourself why the selection at the Gaithersburg Dicks went to crap after Dicks bought Galyans. The Gaithersburg Dicks was a Galyans and it had a ton of firearms and handguns before it was bought out. In comes Dicks, and out goes most of the high end long guns and pretty much all of the handguns. I bought my KK USP Compact from Galyans in 2002 and my Benelli SBE from Galyans in 1997. Good luck finding either of those at the Gaithersburg Dicks. Go down to Tampa and you can find the Benelli. Cannot remember if handguns were for sale down there.

Go down to Tampa and Walmart has a pretty decent selection of guns. None of the Walmarts around here can compare to what I see in Tampa.

Might just be that this entire state sucks and there isn't enough demand for firearms in this state and/or the hoop jumping is just too much to make it profitable for these large retailers.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It was taken out during a store remodel. I had a friend's brother who was working there at the time, he said it was planned before Newtown. They still have Airsoft and Paintball. That's it. Most dangerous thing in there are the Lacrosse balls.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I won't be going back there either. It wasn't like they were selling firearms for home safety, such as handguns. I guess thats is HOCO for you. I cannot think of any gun stores around columbia area either? Columbia MD gun free zone....ummmm

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Dicks has definitely gone soft...guess they figured they didn't get much penetration into that market. Liberal politics definitely has them by the balls...it's a shame that the customers are the ones getting shafted.

see-what-you-did-there.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I won't be going back there either. It wasn't like they were selling firearms for home safety, such as handguns. I guess thats is HOCO for you. I cannot think of any gun stores around columbia area either? Columbia MD gun free zone....ummmm

Well, there is Fox Firearms somewhere around Columbia, but that guy has a pretty bad rap on here after suing the board owner. His case was thrown out by the judge.

There used to be Constitutional Firearms (I believe that is the name), right by Maple Lawn in the little shopping center that can be seen from 29 that has been there for 20+ years. However, he closed up shop in 2014.

Me, I try to stay away from Columbia. I try to stay west of 108 and where it intersects 29.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Well, there is *never to be uttered* somewhere around Columbia, but that guy has a pretty bad rap on here after suing the board owner. His case was thrown out by the judge.

There used to be Constitutional Firearms (I believe that is the name), right by Maple Lawn in the little shopping center that can be seen from 29 that has been there for 20+ years. However, he closed up shop in 2014.

Me, I try to stay away from Columbia. I try to stay west of 108 and where it intersects 29.

fify :innocent0

:D

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I asked an employee about a year or so ago about and was told that it was a corporate decision as the store didn't sell that many firearms.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Well, there is Fox Firearms somewhere around Columbia, but that guy has a pretty bad rap on here after suing the board owner. His case was thrown out by the judge.

I used to like to go to Constitutional at lunch time.
    What was the name of the other place?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, there is Fox Firearms somewhere around Columbia, but that guy has a pretty bad rap on here after suing the board owner.

After breaking the rules serially, and dissembling about the whole thing on Facebook after the fact.

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    Drive down Tamar Drive and tell me how nice it is. Howard County is not a bad place just many of the people who live there are. My family lived there for a few hundred years and even I wont live there now. At least they voted for a better County Exec then they have in the past.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Howard County is divided East to West. The East is vastly different than out here in the West (even if our shiet goes into holes). There are Gun Stores, Gun Shows, etc. in Western HC and if not in HC but close to it in surrounding Counties.
    Dick's in Westminster has a large book of firearms that can be ordered. I'm not defending them.
    I still prefer buying from local 2AFFL's.

RIGGS

Apr 20, 2013
    Baldwin
    Elliott city and sykesville are good. Columbia is jus terrible. Sorry to butt hurt someone that lives there jus my own 2 cents. Some may say baldwin sucks. To each their own.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    I live and bought in Howard for better schools than what I saw in PG. Home prices are typically better in those neighborhoods than others in the State. Not putting myself on higher ground, it's what I could afford at the time and I wanted better for my family. Ive lived all over the State. From when Laurel was just starting up to it's decline when I saw the mall get 'thugged' out and a bike of mine was stole when I lived over in Foxfire Apartments.

I made it a point that I'd never set foot back in PG from my long term experience there. Again not shaming anyone that lives there and I'm sure like all counties there are nice and bad pockets - but once burned, I'll never return. I changed my location and never looked back. Howard isn't the best for 2A, but it's better in other areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom