• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You're a true sportsman.
    :thumbsup: That's what I was thinking, but you beat me to it. :)

Willtill, this is the way hunters should be IMO, and reading your post put a smile on my face and so far has made my day.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Well thank all of you for your comments and posts about this. I'm glad that many of us think alike.

Any day in the woods when I see deer; especially near me... to me is a successful hunt. Especially when they never detected I was there.

I gotta start bringing my camera to the stand with me... would have loved to gotten a picture of that young doe sleeping so close by. :cool:

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I commend you, I have not hunted deer in 30 years but most of my extended family does and I have heard more than a couple of similar stories over the years.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I gotta start bringing my camera to the stand with me... would have loved to gotten a picture of that young doe sleeping so close by. :cool:

You won't regret it...not all good shots come from our firearms!

DSCN0956.jpg

DSCN0972.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

761996-R1-21-2A_022.jpg

61640001.jpg

DSCN1493_101.jpg

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I wouldn't have a problem shooting a sleeping animal however I usually let all the little ones go. Just as much work as a large deer with less meat. Plus they are really dumb. You can damn near walk up to them and slap them which doesn't seem very sporting to shoot them.

You did what me and all my hunting buddies do. Let 'em grow.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    My hat is off to you. As others have stated, you are a true sportsman !! Memories like this will outlast dozens of harvested deer.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Good for you! We are the shepherds of this planet and need to collectively make better decisions about what we do with it's resources.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Not soft, just wise and sporting.

I took a questionable shot at a really nice buck, once, and only wounded it. My wife's cousin finally took it down, a week later, a couple of ridges over (this was western Virginia). It had obviously been suffering for all that time, and to this day it still upsets me thinking about it.

I wouldn't take that shot, today. One of the pluses that come with age, I guess.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Neither right nor wrong. You did what you felt was the right thing to do. Plain and simple. I don't pass judgment on people that shoot fawns or hens, but I have yet to shoot a fawn and try my best not to shoot hens.

Shot a doe once when her two fawns were right next to her and I felt bad for quite a while. Will not do that again either. If it appears that a doe is traveling only with her offspring from that spring, I'll pass. Again, neither right nor wrong as far as hunting is concerned, but it is what is right for me.

Others think we are barbaric just for killing a deer.

Others think we are pansies for not shooting every deer we come across.

Then, for the rest of us peace comes somewhere in the middle.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hunting tugs at you sometimes. The last one I arrowed was a yearling. It was with the mother and another yearling. The second yearling followed the one I shot to where it laid down to die and just stood there for a few minutes refusing to leave. It didn't move until mom was about 80 yards away and almost over the hill.

Will pass on shots like that in the future.

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    As we all know, sometimes our most rewarding experiences in the field are those intimate moments with nature that have nothing to do with your firearm. Well played!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Great story. Thank you. For every one of you, there are 5 slayers who would take an axe to a stray dog out there just to kill something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom