• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Just to clarify: after 10/1/2013, to purchase a regulated firearm in MD you will need to take safety training class, be fingerprinted, and obtain a license. But as far as I can tell, you will STILL need to wait the 7 plus days and the MSP background check.

If so, then really what is the point of the new requirements? (I know- harassment.)

Logic would dictate that if we passed the new requirements, we have already been investigated and found to qualify as "Non-Dissapproved". A handgun purchase would be a simple hand over the cash/plastic, fill out the forms, walk out with a new gun. (I know, this is Maryland- logic is not a requirement for our elected officials.)

I was thinking about this fact this morning and it seems like a really a good arguing point for the pending lawsuit.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It is all about getting less overall people to buy handguns. That's what Froth and Co. want. They knew damn well that there wasn't a straw purchase problem in this state with people who do the current required paperwork, and that fingerprints would just be redundant and a major hassle for a lot of people who had to take off work and wait longer.

Feb 28, 2013
    On the plus side, no more regulated rifles. It's either cash-and-carry or banned.

You sure about that?

What about all the shit here lately with the MSP becoming POC for ALL firearms on Oct. 1?

That to me means EVERYTHING will be "regulated" in the current sense, even single-shot trap guns. Who wants to wait 3 months for one of those?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    If you think about it, the HQL should really be a Concealed Carry Permit, but there I go, using logic again.

As far as I know and is currently law, the 7 day wait is still in place for handgun purchases.

So here's what the process to purchasing/receiving a handgun looks like to me after 10/1:

1. Take a class that is yet to be specified by the state if you don't currently own a handgun. Assume there will be a checkbox on the application to indicate if you owned one prior to 10/1/2013 (see number 3)
    2. Get fingerprinted and have them submitted to the Secretary of Police
    3. File an application that is yet to be specified by the state and pay $50
    4. Wait 30 days for receipt of a HQL, during which time they perform a background check
    4a. After 10 years, resubmit another yet to be specified application and pay $20 for renewal.
    5. Go to a dealer and make a purchase, show the HQL, fill out a 77R
    6. Wait an indefinite amount of time for the state to perform yet another background check with a ND
    7. Return to dealer, show the HQL, sign papers, take purchase home
    Repeat 5, 6, 7 for every handgun purchase.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You are forgetting that this will make our streets safer and it's for the children! This new legislation is so effective that signs of how wonderful it will be are already showing up in Baltimore City.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    Just reading this thread makes me want to scream...this state is such a beautiful place to live....but the people who run it SUCK.:banghead:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It is all about getting less overall people to buy handguns. That's what Froth and Co. want. They knew damn well that there wasn't a straw purchase problem in this state with people who do the current required paperwork, and that fingerprints would just be redundant and a major hassle for a lot of people who had to take off work and wait longer.

Yep. Hoping the courts see what you're describing as the infringement that it is. And that Privileges can be licensed, but not Rights. If not, there's a much bigger problem here than Frosh and his fellow asshats.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The rationale the state will use is this: although you may have passed qualifications to buy a handgun, over the couple of years before the license expires you may have done something which would disqualify you from a new purchase... so they want the ability to review your background and force a waiting period for each transaction.

It's not sound logic, but it's Maryland logic. This law, and the previous ones regulating certain firearms or requiring shell casings, have had no appreciable impact on public safety other than infuriating legal firearms owners. They only serve one purpose: to disarm the public one generation at a time by making it ever more inconvenient to exercise your 2A right.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    It is all about getting less overall people to buy handguns.
    Its working. To be perfectly honest this is why I am trying to purchase what I want now. Im not ready for the government to have my finger prints on file. Will I change my mind one day if a awesome gun comes out that I really want? Probably. But for now im trying to stay away from that.

mwellermd

Apr 23, 2013
    Ijamsville, Maryland
    1. Take a class that is yet to be specified by the state if you don't currently own a handgun. Assume there will be a checkbox on the application to indicate if you owned one prior to 10/1/2013 (see number 3)
    4. Wait 30 days for receipt of a HQL, during which time they perform a background check
    4a. After 10 years, resubmit another yet to be specified application and pay $20 for renewal.
    6. Wait an indefinite amount of time for the state to perform yet another background check with a ND

That sums it up nicely. These are the correct steps to my understanding. Also, as you know, the handgun itself has to be approved for sale in Maryland by being on the MSP Handgun Roster. It's another layer of government intervention... for our safety of course. :rolleyes:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    over the couple of years before the license expires you must have done something which would disqualify you from a new purchase

I think this is closer to their thinking. Everyone is a criminal, some just haven't been caught yet.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    The rationale the state will use is this: although you may have passed qualifications to buy a handgun, over the couple of years before the license expires you may have done something which would disqualify you from a new purchase... so they want the ability to review your background and force a waiting period for each transaction.

It's not sound logic, but it's Maryland logic. This law, and the previous ones regulating certain firearms or requiring shell casings, have had no appreciable impact on public safety other than infuriating legal firearms owners. They only serve one purpose: to disarm the public one generation at a time by making it ever more inconvenient to exercise your 2A right.

Then revoke the person's license when they are convicted of a crime that would prevent them from owning a firearm. Show your license, get the gun that day. No license, no gun. Ever. I fail to see how this is any different than a drivers license at this point. Get enough points on your license over time or do something horrendous at one time and they yank your license.

The problem with that? I can still drive a car without a license, I just can't get caught doing so. Same with an HQL, but oh wait, law breakers don't give a damn about needing a license to do what they want.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm not saying it's right, I hate the way this state plays the shell game with our rights... just playing devil's advocate. :evilgrin3

How does preventing you from buying a new pistol when you already own one make anyone safer? It doesn't. If you ignore the argument that this has anything to do with public safety, and look at it purely from a gun control standpoint, it makes complete sense. This state wants every chance it can get to run a complete background check and uncover a new reason to suspend your rights.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    So here's what the process to purchasing/receiving a handgun looks like to me after 10/1:

It would be nice if they added a photograph and just made it a concealed carry license. There I go dreaming again.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    It would be nice if they added a photograph and just made it a concealed carry license. There I go dreaming again.

Exactly... Maybe why they didn't include a photo requirement. Lol.

Interesting floor debate on the amendment offered to make MD a Shall Issue state during the SB281 Deliberations In the House. Throughout the fingerprinting, etc. requirement discussions, the gun grabbers used commonality with other states in terms of adding requirements. When the Shall Issue discussion came up, it was pointed out how many states now have shall issue and almost identical requirements to obtain a CCW. Naturally, all of this was disregarded out of hand and the amendment was voted down. Gotta love the hypocrisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom