• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arcon

Mar 14, 2020
    Have an XM 15 E2 with Full auto (No 3 round burst thank God). Has the non-detachable carrying handle with a hole in in it that makes attaching a scope real easy. Also has a Stainless Steel barrel HBAR with a 1 in 9 twist. With a scope mounted it seems like it might be a somewhat acute angle that may make the point impact difficult to coincide with that of the iron sights. Just wondering because it is a real joy to shoot. Bushmaster with Sendra receiver.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A scope on a carry handle will not co-witness irons.

First off, you can't see the irons through the scope like you would an EOTech or other optic.

Then, both will still zero independently. The iron sight zero is not affected by the scope, other than the fact that they will be obstructed by the mount. The scope should zero OK if the mount aligns.

Speaking from experience, I would not bother putting a scope on a carry handle. It is awkward and forces the shooter into unstable positions, like losing cheek weld and giving up intuitive handling. Too easy to just swap the upper for an A3 if a scope is truly needed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Like ES said, the poi will not coincide . Not only that, you'll end up putting some kind of high cheek pad on the butt which will interfere with your iron sights any time you detach the scope. I went all through this some years ago before the removable carry handle came about. It was maddening.

Like Ed suggested, buy or build a decent flatop upper to mount your scope to. It's the best way to go.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    presumably it's the lower that's registered as the machine gune? Put whatever complete upper you want on it, set aside the old lower, and do whatever your heart desires.

Also, this is your first post?

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had a Trijicon reflex with a carry handle mount. It did cowitness with irons as I remember. Sold it years ago. Triangle reticle had a ghost image for my eyes.

Attachments

• 3A3B7979-8BC9-45FC-A06B-5A0D7C9F84C2.jpeg
      3A3B7979-8BC9-45FC-A06B-5A0D7C9F84C2.jpeg
      8.6 KB · Views: 245

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I had a Trijicon reflex with a carry handle mount. It did cowitness with irons as I remember. Sold it years ago. Triangle reticle had a ghost image for my eyes.
    That IS a workable solution, the gooseneck mount with an optic. If the OP wants an actual *scope* as stated, then this will not work/co-witness.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The old Colt 3/4x scopes are surprisingly comfortable to use on carry handles. Not sure I'd want a bigger one on there.

I agree that just getting a new upper is the way to go.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    if you can afford full auto you can probably afford a new upper
    :lol:

I saw that and thought the same thing!

Arcon, once this panic is done, maybe consider getting a new upper/lower matched receiver set for the stainless HBAR barrel. M4/A4 flattop upper with a Picitinny/1913 rail on it is a superior way to mount a precision optic like a scope.

For closer range, the current trend in mounting red dot optics has them nearly to the height of a carry-handle scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The carry handle scopes and mounts are cut with an angle so the scope is parallel to the bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom