• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    If you had to sell all your weapons and could only keep one rifle and one optic, what would they be? This isn’t necessarily a SHTF situation, but it could be if you want it to be. I’m thinking more of a situation of having to liquidate for financial reasons. I’m just as curious about your choice of optic.

I’ll go first:

LWRC DI with a Trijicon 1-6 VCOG. Both are built like tanks.

The LWRC is very accurate and dependable. I was close to choosing my LWRC piston rifle, but it has proprietary parts. Runner up would be DDM4 V1.

The VCOG feels almost indestructible. The glass is impeccable. At 1x it has a nice field of view and is pretty fast on target, almost as fast as a red dot. Runner up would be my EoTech. I prefer it over my Aimpoint.

What say you?

EDIT - I’m interested in rifles, so pretend you can keep a handgun too. I wanted to keep the discussion away from a SHTF question, but maybe SHTF is the best way to look at it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm struggling to envision a situation where I have to sell every single gun I own, except for one. If things are that end-of-the-world-ish, I'm probably keeping a handgun for personal protection under a much wider range of circumstance. Probably a very serviceable, parts-are-easy-to-get Glock with a high capacity glockazine. If things are so dire, financially, that I'm thirty+ guns down, I'm probably living out of my truck at that point. Handgun's a far more useful last resort in the real world where one's essentially impoverished and can't waltz around with a patrol rifle on your back.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I'm struggling to envision a situation where I have to sell every single gun I own, except for one. If things are that end-of-the-world-ish, I'm probably keeping a handgun for personal protection under a much wider range of circumstance. Probably a very serviceable, parts-are-easy-to-get Glock with a high capacity glockazine. If things are so dire, financially, that I'm thirty+ guns down, I'm probably living out of my truck at that point. Handgun's a far more useful last resort in the real world where one's essentially impoverished and can't waltz around with a patrol rifle on your back.

I’m asking about rifles. Handguns, at least most, only fetch a few hundred dollars if you have to liquidate, so I am ignoring them for the purpose of the question. Keeping a $300 Glock wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m sorry for any confusion.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well, then, I guess I hang onto my Colt AR, and the ACOG. Versatile, tough, easily parts-ed around, and I've got thousands and thousands of rounds in different flavors for it. Did I have to sell most of my ammo, too? Doing the math, and in terms of what things can fetch when you're trying to unload them, I may have more easily fetchable cash in ammo than I do easily liquidated shootin' irons (without totally taking a bath, that is).

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Well, then, I guess I hang onto my Colt AR, and the ACOG. Versatile, tough, easily parts-ed around, and I've got thousands and thousands of rounds in different flavors for it. Did I have to sell most of my ammo, too? Doing the math, and in terms of what things can fetch when you're trying to unload them, I may have more easily fetchable cash in ammo than I do easily liquidated shootin' irons (without totally taking a bath, that is).

Very true.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I would probably keep my 16" AR with 1-4x LPVO. The jack of all trades rifle can do up close work and some long range work if needed.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I was unaware you can sell a firearm. I am only familiar with the purchase option. :o

I would probably keep the SCR (AR clone) with Aimpoint PRO. It just works.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Pre Oct 1 Lower I already have and my upper with Criterion barrel. I'd have to get a new optic and go a higher quality Reflex.
    I like peep sights now, but that may not work for my eyes in 5 years.
    Gonna have to think about this cause I may be better off with a 4x scope and offset red dot. Hmmmm

223 of course. I just like to shoot that caliber at 100 yards offhand.
    I definitely would be making sure it was SHTF quality once set up.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    OP, It really depends on what your intentions are for your "only" gun in a non RWOL/SHTF situation.

If you want to legally (today) hunt deer in Region B and have a self defense gun as well, I'd go with a semi auto 12 gauge like a Benelli SBII or SBIII with a rifled deer barrel and and Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 scope. This gun also comes w/ a bird barrel and chokes. Mossberg makes a versitle pump 12G that can do anything w/ different barrels and hi cap magazine tubes.

The previously mentioned AR type toys can't be used in Region B for deer, birds, etc.

YMMV

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I would have a DD, Colt, or Noveske AR with a 16inch medium contour nitride or chrome barrel (or HBAR if we are talking MD) with a Vortex Razor 1-10x LPVO and 45 degree offset 3-6MOA micro dot. Am I allowed to pair with a suppressor?

Reasoning is 16inch barrel AR:

- Still compact enough for home defense.
    - Highly serviceable with available parts everywhere.
    - With the right load, can easily take deer out to 1-200 yards (62 gr Fusion comes to mind)
    - Ok terminal velocity and trajectory out to 500 yards.
    - Can opt for mid length gas system for softer shooting and potentially longer lasting components.

That being said, I have a 10.3 for HD, a 16inch reccee (prob closest to the one described above), and an 18inch with 2.5-15x scope).

Eventually I would love to consider a bullpup rife for a SHTF scenario, but I'm not sold on it yet for an "only one" rifle.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    My 16” pieces together AR with 1x6 LPVO

I’ve shot it out to 300 yards and it’s a tac driver. Feel comfortable with it anywhere within that range. Parts are bountiful should something go awry

For me it’s all about what I’m most comfortable with and that one gets my vote

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I think it is important to keep the good natured AR vs AK debate alive for moral purposes in the apocalypse so I will go purchase some sort of AK variant and hope that Chad is not put in charge of our new society as I want to be allowed in polite society.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Financial reasons are way different than SHIF situations. If it was strictly financial, and had nothing to do SHIF, it would make a huge difference to me. If I had to get rid of all guns to put food on the table and pay my bills, I would be more likely to keep something that had sentimental value rather than practical value. The most valuable would probably go first. I'm talking strictly financial reasons and not a situation where I had to hunt for food or keep zombies away from the door.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I'd definitely be going with a .223 bolt gun if I only get one rifle + one optic and cost is a concern. Probably a Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x50 FFP on top of a Ruger precision rifle or Tikka T3x TAC A1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom