• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Does anyone reload at the range? If you do, what equipment do you use? It seems that if I wanted to duplicate my reloading bench at the range, I would need a large suitcase, to transport everything. I already take two to three bags, plus the firearms, every time I go.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Have you ever worked up loads for a rifle? The last time I did, I loaded 100 rounds in .3 grain increments. That was for one bullet. If you find something promising, the other loads that do not shoot well, need to be pulled. Seems a massive waste of time. Load what you need while you are shooting. It also gives time to cool the barrel down.

BTW, I do not reload at the range(yet). Just wondering if/how other do it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't, but am familar with the concept. Think more of benchrest type activity, not blasting.

Think hand press, and accurate powder measure.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm a small scale reloader and do all of my reloading using a Lee hand press. I could probably fit everything I need into my range bag. I've also seen a few people use the Lee classic at the range for handgun loads.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have done it to work up loads. I mounted a powder measure to a peice of 2x6, use a C&H coax single stage(better than a hand press, can be used unmounted, or simply clamped to a table. I just bring a bunch of sized/trimmed/primed brass, powder and bullets, then get to work well away from the firing line. Makes it easy to try a number of bullet/charge/powder combos without ending up with a lot of test loads you know won't shoot well.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Does anyone reload at the range? If you do, what equipment do you use? It seems that if I wanted to duplicate my reloading bench at the range, I would need a large suitcase, to transport everything. I already take two to three bags, plus the firearms, every time I go.

I do it guite a bit. You don't need tons of stuff. I take a single stage press and a rcbs digital scale that runs off a 9 volt. My brass I take is already sized and primed before I get there. I do it because nobody is ever at the range I use and most of the time I'm testing seating depth. Can't beat 20 bucks a year membership and have access to 300 yards, skeet and trap,3D tournaments and rights to hunt the property. Of course the range is not in Maryland.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I do it guite a bit. You don't need tons of stuff. I take a single stage press and a rcbs digital scale that runs off a 9 volt. My brass I take is already sized and primed before I get there. I do it because nobody is ever at the range I use and most of the time I'm testing seating depth. Can't beat 20 bucks a year membership and have access to 300 yards, skeet and trap,3D tournaments and rights to hunt the property. Of course the range is not in Maryland.

Is your range in PA by any chance? Fire recently?

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland

I say call ahead to wherever you go to make sure the range will accommodate.

Yes, safety is the most important thing when handling firearms, but some ranges do go a little overboard, in my opinion (and I realize I may be in the minority there). I totally understand the legal/moral concern if somebody gets hurt, however, as uptight as some get about "unload and show clear", "only one shot every XX seconds", "make sure you flag your thrice-checked unloaded weapon(s)", etc. - having an nearby/possibly open bottle of a flammable substance might make their head explode.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    That's what I'm talking about! Can the handloader press larger magnum rounds? This was in response to ihriec...

The Lee hand press can be used for magnum rounds. I've used it for 357 mag, you just need to have the correct dies.

May 13, 2005
    Bring a camper or conversion van and make a mobile reloading vehicle :)

426 Liberal heads exploded that I even suggested that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom