• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I use the Lyman 1200 Tumbler with the corn cob media.

What exactly constitutes "dirty" as far as ammo cases? If the outside of the case doesn't have any black gunpowder burns on it does it still need to be run through the tumbler?

Does the burnt gunpowder in the spent case need to be removed?

Another thing: I washed the used media in water with dishwashing soap in it and it's clean again. I'll be able to use it again. Anyone else do this?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Dirty, I know it when I see it:lol2:
    Besides burned powder there is oil from you fingers which will ultimately tarnish cases and the is the inevitable oxidation that happens to brass.

Cases with a lot of burned powder on the outside get tumbled before sizing. Cases that have been in a harsh environment, I'm thinking of a West Texas prairie dog hunt, where it's constantly blowing dirt, get the same treatment.

Cases that are going back to the range relatively soon, as in I am working up a load, might not get tumbled, unless I am full length sizing. They all get tumbled after FL sizing. If I tumbled before sizing, then this is a very short tumble.

Cases that are going to be stored for an unknown time, will be tumbled.

Inside of cases get blacker over time. Unless you switch to steel media, don't worry about it.

How did you dry your media once you washed? I tried putting on a window screen. A good portion fell through the screen and then the wind picked up, unexpectedly, and I didn't have a handful of media left

Not sure what brand of media you are using. I use Lyman tufnut which is treated with a polishing agent and washing it could potentially remove that agent. I have been using the same media for about 3 years. I have added new media but never completely removed and changed it. I just finished cleaning 2000 40 S&W and 500 9MM and have 1000 45 ACP to clean for reloading next weekend. Over the last 3 years I have cleaned well over 50,000 rounds of various calibers and although the media has changed color from red to brown it still works perfectly. I'm not sure I would bother washing the media. You may be shortening the usable life span of it...you might want to consider buying a bottle of the cleaning solution liquid to add back to the media.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I run all my brass through the tumbler using crushed walnut. I guess I'm just a perfectionist and like my reloads to look new and shiny.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I tumble them to remove any dirt or grit.

I am not into shiny ammo. Most military ammo is not shiny. :)

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    For my Lyman 1200 I use medium grit walnut media from Harbor Freight. At roughly $1 a pound it's the most economical you can get and a 25 pound box will last you a lifetime.

I use a cap full of Nu Finish car polish to make the cases shine.

I put a used dryer sheet in with each batch that I tumble. The sheet comes out black and really does help to clean the tumbling media.

I got one of the Frankford Arsenal wet tumblers for Christmas and I don't see myself going back to the Lyman any time soon. SS pins are amazing.

Top - Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with SS pin media, Dawn dish soap and Lemishine. ~1 hour
    Bottom - Lyman 1200 Turbo Pro tumbler with medium grit walnut media and Nu Finish polish. ~3 hours

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I always tumble my cases just to save wear and tear on my dies. Crushed walnut shells from Petsmart, which is sold as reptile bedding, is $16.00 for a ten quart bag. I just throw it in the garden when it gets dirty.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I always tumble my cases just to save wear and tear on my dies. Crushed walnut shells from Petsmart, which is sold as reptile bedding, is $16.00 for a ten quart bag. I just throw it in the garden when it gets dirty.

I don't think you want the toxic chemicals from cartridges in your garden, if you grow food there that is. Flower garden would be little harm I suppose.

Nufish car polish works great in walnut shells too.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Dirty, I know it when I see it:lol2:
    Besides burned powder there is oil from you fingers which will ultimately tarnish cases and the is the inevitable oxidation that happens to brass.

Cases with a lot of burned powder on the outside get tumbled before sizing. Cases that have been in a harsh environment, I'm thinking of a West Texas prairie dog hunt, where it's constantly blowing dirt, get the same treatment.

Cases that are going back to the range relatively soon, as in I am working up a load, might not get tumbled, unless I am full length sizing. They all get tumbled after FL sizing. If I tumbled before sizing, then this is a very short tumble.

Cases that are going to be stored for an unknown time, will be tumbled.

Inside of cases get blacker over time. Unless you switch to steel media, don't worry about it.

How did you dry your media once you washed? I tried putting on a window screen. A good portion fell through the screen and then the wind picked up, unexpectedly, and I didn't have a handful of media left

I just left it in a plastic bucket and sat it in my reloading room. The dry winter air dried it out.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Not sure what brand of media you are using. I use Lyman tufnut which is treated with a polishing agent and washing it could potentially remove that agent. I have been using the same media for about 3 years. I have added new media but never completely removed and changed it. I just finished cleaning 2000 40 S&W and 500 9MM and have 1000 45 ACP to clean for reloading next weekend. Over the last 3 years I have cleaned well over 50,000 rounds of various calibers and although the media has changed color from red to brown it still works perfectly. I'm not sure I would bother washing the media. You may be shortening the usable life span of it...you might want to consider buying a bottle of the cleaning solution liquid to add back to the media.

The media got almost black from the gunpowder so I washed it off. I don't think I got the media that was treated with the polishing agent.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Brass very rarely needs to be "cleaned" to the level most people (including myself) clean it. The exterior just needs to be free from grit / grime that would potentially damage your dies and chamber. A little soot from being fired and/or tarnish isn't going to do that. The powder residue on the interior won't effect how accurate your loads are. There is even a school of thought that a little burnt powder on the neck adds a some lubrication when resizing and works the brass a little less, therefore extending case life.

So, if you're finding range brass that's been sitting out in the dirt then you need to clean it. Otherwise it's just making it look pretty. There are a lot of bench rest shooters who reload at the bench without tumbling, and those guys are obsessed with accuracy.

Not that there's anything wrong with making your brass look shiny and pretty. I like shiny & new looking brass. Just don't use ammonia based cleaners like Brasso, as the ammonia weakens the brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom