• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Maybe your "Prophet" has arrived. Check your PM's. I just sent you one.

Note: I bought a brand new 1968 GTO convertible in San Francisco when I DEROS'ed from Viet Nam 10/68. Drove it home from there to Annapolis, Md. Some "Amazing" things happened in that car on the way home; and thereafter.

Rob257

Like lots of farts or something? :lol2:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If anyone who bought a carbine ends up wanting to sell it, i am willing to give you your money back + up to 50.00 for.

Saginaw
    Underwood
    standard Products
    or Rock Ola

These are the ones i still need for the collection.
    Thanks

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I ended up with a Standard Products today--looks like it has an Underwood barrel from the correct timeframe. New CMP stock, but it's got some really nice figure in it, so I'm happy.

USPS had said my order didn't get to Anniston until 2/2, so I forgot about it, but DBU said 2/1.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Congrats on your good fortune... :o

Part of me wants to really get in on this chance, but the other part of knows I should miss out because I should not be spending this kind of money. Its a rare opportunity, but if I get passed over I am ok with it I guess. If it was meant to be to not get one, then I can pay off these home repairs quicker. :party29:

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Congrats on your good fortune... :o

Part of me wants to really get in on this chance, but the other part of knows I should miss out because I should not be spending this kind of money. Its a rare opportunity, but if I get passed over I am ok with it I guess. If it was meant to be to not get one, then I can pay off these home repairs quicker. :party29:

That's kind of how I felt. I had a couple of co-workers who wanted carbines, but didn't know the CMP process, so I said, "what the hell, I'll send in an order myself while I'm showing you guys". I had them send in their orders overnight ($20), but sent in mine Priority ($6), figuring there was a good chance it wouldn't get there in time. Unlike what I had them do, I didn't give Field Grade as 2nd choice, stacking the deck against myself even further. Tracking number said it got there a day late, so I shrugged and forgot about it.

All three of us ended up getting carbines. Actually, the guy who wanted one the most (been talking about it for years) was the only one who got a Field Grade, and it was the nicest of the three.

They're still sending out DBUs. Even people with tracking numbers that said 2/2 are still in the running because apparently USPS tracking is notoriously wrong.

Redcat

Curmudgeon
    Oct 4, 2008
    Severn, MD
    They're still sending out DBUs. Even people with tracking numbers that said 2/2 are still in the running because apparently USPS tracking is notoriously wrong.

This. USPS tracking said mine got there on the 2nd, but it was clearly wrong as I got a carbine....

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I keep checking and don't like not knowing if I will be selected. Although I should not spend the money on one, it would be a good investment. I will likely buy something else anyway....

Since I check the e-store daily I decided to throw in a spam can of grand ammo in bandoleers. I need to shoot these more.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Hmm - I just read that CMP has used CMP stocks (instead of GI) on some of the M1 carbines recently sent out.

Yeah, the Service Grade I got had one. Typically, you would ask for a Field Grade if you wanted the most historical rifle possible. I think some people new to CMP didn't realize that and felt ill-used because CMP didn't specifically say that this time in the descriptions.

CMP actually considers new wood to be an upgrade to make the Service Grade serviceable. I agree, especially if the alternative is to have a potbelly birch stock mismatched with a beat up walnut handguard, which is possible from the description.

In the end, it's a pig in a poke and it's kind of a pain in the butt to order from CMP. Mark Johnson said exactly this, and that's why he priced them so low.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you don't like the wood you get you can always change it. Most CMP guns have been rebuilt so many times that even if you get an original stock there is no way of telling if it was original to that rifle.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Well I am not sure what to think yet. As stated above I put in order in for 30.06 ammo from the the CMP yesterday afternoon. By the way it was shipped yesterday as well!!! That is fast. It is due to arrive on Friday by COB.

Anyway, I was just in the e-store and I don't have any pending orders and my ammo order was moved to past orders. I log into my credit card and I see the charge from CMP for the $115 ammo and also a pending charge listed for $1.00 with no additional info.

Could I have been selected for the carbine? Time will tell.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    If you don't like the wood you get you can always change it. Most CMP guns have been rebuilt so many times that even if you get an original stock there is no way of telling if it was original to that rifle.

This. Big time. One of the guys over at CMP Forum, who got a super nice stock, said he got a "time capsule". Yes, a time capsule from Jan. 2016.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

If mine had come with a CMP stock, I would have kept it as is. I just did not realize that was an option, although I'm sure it's somewhere in the fine print.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's not an option. You take what they send you.

Over the years some Garands have been received "from the Army" with such bad stocks that the CMP has replaced them with newly made stocks. They only do that for Service Grades. (The Special Grades are newly assembled from parts with a Criterion barrel and a new stock.) Field and Rack Grades will have some kind of old stock, perhaps USGI walnut or GI birch or Danish beech or Greek Palletwood. The Rack Grade Carbine I got a few years ago came with an M2 potbelly stock apparently made of birch.

USGI arms generally become Mixmasters by a natural process over time.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Mine arrived yesterday. Field grade Inland from 1943. The stock is a bit beat with proof marks and re-arsenal stamp. Throat was a 2 and muzzles reads 3. Overall I am very happy.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I was over on the CMP forum last night and it looks like mostly field grades going out this week (both shipping and DBU emails). A lot of speculation that it means they are near the end since last week it was service grades with new wood going out and now that they are onto field grades they are hitting the bottom of the barrel. I don't know about that... might just mean the last few pallets of carbines they processed ended up being field grades IMO. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom