• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Can somebody help me, please? I have a handgun permit renewal question. How strict is MSP about getting in the renewal papers on time. I have until 3/15 until my permit expires. I got everything done, except my livecan, which i will do today. I probably can not send it away until, end of this week or start of next week. Already into mid-Jan and now fails under the 90 day renewal period. Will I just get my permit late or would i have to restart the whole process?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You will get your permit late most likely. You will also probably get a little nasty letter telling you to be on time next time, at least I did.

stsltd

Feb 1, 2006
    From my recent experience, MSP will take approximately 90 business days to issue a renewal permit, assuming that they do - but, as long as you submit your renewal application at least two weeks prior to its expiration, you can continue to carry on your old permit, until the new one arrives, or you are told it is not going to be renewed.

response from MSP when I sent an email to ask:

You can still carry your firearm due to you submitted your renewal application 2 weeks prior to your expiration date;Annotated Code of Maryland, Title 10-226, (2)(b)(1).

I submitted mine towards the end of September, expiration date was end of November, received my renewal just before Chirstmas...

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    ^^^This

Just ensure the MSP receives your application (via USPS Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested) AT LEAST two weeks prior to expiration.

This is why the permit says (paraphrasing) "if expired, contact MSP prior to arrest"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom