• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Only in Maryland could you find such a confusing fiasco of regulational hemorrhaging as the White tail deer antler / bag limits.

WTF were they thinking !!

WTF were they drinking !!

WTF were they smoking !!

On second thought this could be good for poachers. When the man catches you, you just tell him you where confused. He would have to agree !!

It means, quit killing dinks.:thumbsup:

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    I'm new to hunting the state and when you look at a page like this: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/2014-2015-white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

It leaves me going "Uh, what did I just read?"

When you read this:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2

You basically know what they're talking about. Once you look up your WMU (more than 2 in PA) you understand wtf they're talking about.

Took me a couple reads of the MD rules to understand No Sunday Hunting other than private lands and SOME other lands. It also sounds like you take a buck, take two does before you can take another buck in MD, but I'm still not sure.

I guess in PA they have the rules a little easier because a higher population of the state hunts overall versus the size of the herd.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm new to hunting the state and when you look at a page like this: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/2014-2015-white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

It leaves me going "Uh, what did I just read?"

When you read this:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2

You basically know what they're talking about. Once you look up your WMU (more than 2 in PA) you understand wtf they're talking about.

Took me a couple reads of the MD rules to understand No Sunday Hunting other than private lands and SOME other lands. It also sounds like you take a buck, take two does before you can take another buck in MD, but I'm still not sure.

I guess in PA they have the rules a little easier because a higher population of the state hunts overall versus the size of the herd.

Bingo! You can take two dinks, as I read it but a third buck must have at least 3 points on one antler. No 11 pointers(spikes).

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I saw a spike buck grazing near a road yesterday and thought "oh he's lucky, he's a dink, with the new law and everything" LOL. On the other hand it was very close to Susquehanna state park and they probably need more hunters in there.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Yeah that is confusing. What I don't get is the DNR's unwritten rules about certain reg's. I called the Annapolis office a few times to see if I could hunt squirrels w/ a .22 in HoCo. The officers said yes to .22 but maybe/I think/ depends for .17hmr/.22 mag. As long as it's a rifle (.22 lr). It's legal to hunt small game w/ a .22 pistol but you should maybe not do it. A .22 is not ok at Hugg Thomas WMA. A .30-06 is ok for deer at Hanover Watershed, but a .22 is not ok for squirrel.

This is what I've culled from my various phone calls over the years.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Go read Oregon fishing regs sometime.

Not that Merlin needs to be more f'ed up then it already is but it's by-far not the worst.

dj_in_md

Aug 28, 2008
    Almost WV
    I don't consider myself totally dumb but I have read and reread the regulations and this thread. I am still confused. Can someone explain exactly what they mean?

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I don't consider myself totally dumb but I have read and reread the regulations and this thread. I am still confused. Can someone explain exactly what they mean?

The way I read it is that you can only take 4pt or less within the normal bag limit, but if you use a bonus stamp, one of them must be at least a 6pt.

Don't take my word for it though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The way I read it is that you can only take 4pt or less within the normal bag limit, but if you use a bonus stamp, one of them must be at least a 6pt.

Don't take my word for it though.

It's just Merryland's usual ham-handed way of introducing a little more QDM into the state regs.

First two bucks can have as few as one point or more (normal bag limit). But, a third and fourth buck(bonus buck) must have more than three points. You can only kill two spike bucks per season out of a possible four bucks. DNR is trying to raise the age class of bucks, and that's a good thing.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    These pics can help.

pic 1 and 2- go ahead. Pretend you are bowhunting and deer 1 comes out in range during shooting light. Next, let's go do early muzzle loader and deer 2 steps out in legal light.

pic 3, ok you got deer 1 and 2 in bow, then early muzzleloader, now it's shotgun/rifle season and you see this. YOU CAN'T SHOOT HIM! but...

pic 4 this buck comes out - SHOOT HIM! It's ok!

Now you shot buck 4 and got a bonus buck tag and shot 2 does as well.

pic 5- this buck steps out during legal light DON'T SHOOT HIM!

pic 6- this buck steps out during legal shooting light- SHOOT HIM!

Attachments

• gamecamnov5lilbasketfork.jpg
      gamecamnov5lilbasketfork.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 112
    • gamecamnov5spikecoon.jpg
      gamecamnov5spikecoon.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 112
    • gamecamnov5biggerbuckcoon.jpg
      gamecamnov5biggerbuckcoon.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 113
    • novgamecam111214bigbuck2.jpg
      novgamecam111214bigbuck2.jpg
      103 KB · Views: 110
    • gamecamnov5newnubbyspike.jpg
      gamecamnov5newnubbyspike.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 112
    • gamecamnov2820148pt.jpg
      gamecamnov2820148pt.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 114

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I thought the max was 2 bucks per season with 2 does in between. I get the antler restrictions as I am from Pa where I needed a min of 3 on a side to shoot. I thought I had the bonus buck tag down until I am reading 4 bucks total here. Anyone care to break it down, Army proof, for me?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    1 buck=taken by bow or crossbow
    1 buck= taken by muzzleloader
    1 buck=taken by modern firearm

1 bonus buck can be taken during either of the 3 season types, with bonus buck tag, and only after taking 2 antlerless deer.

Only 2 of these 4 can be dinky dinks, the other 2 must be dinks with 3 or more points one side, or studs with 3 or more points per side.

In region B. Not sure about region A.

1 buck=taken by bow or crossbow
    1 buck= taken by muzzleloader
    1 buck=taken by modern firearm

1 bonus buck can be taken during either of the 3 season types, with bonus buck tag, and only after taking 2 antlerless deer.

Only 2 of these 4 can be dinky dinks, the other 2 must be dinks with 3 or more points one side, or studs with 3 or more points per side.
    This is a good rule. I let all the dinks walk. Give them a chance to grow into a shooter. I've let the same six pointer walk three times this year. Next year, he may have antlers wider than his ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom