Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 7th, 2015, 06:41 AM #1
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

Meds on the shelf for SHTF...read "rainy day"

...so, not that I'd ever put anything aside for a rainy day but...

Any insights on best spread spectrum antibiotic with good legs/long shelf life????

Part Deux...bonus points: How would a common Joe go about reasonably procuring "some"??

Thanks in advance for your insights, SWAGs and pertinent or other witticisms.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Alea Jacta Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:46 AM #2
Official MDS Court Jester

Official MDS Court Jester

No idea about usefulness or shelf life. But most preppers I know get antibiotics from veterinary supply places. No idea what hoops are needed.

The peace sign is just the trigger and the middle finger.

What is Liberty Tree? Click this to find out
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117200
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:48 AM #3
Get Wiffit

Get Wiffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post
No idea about usefulness or shelf life. But most preppers I know get antibiotics from veterinary supply places. No idea what hoops are needed.
No hoops, just know what you are looking for.
rwbow1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:04 AM #4
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Good question. Procurement is the biggest problem for most folks. Sometimes you can find a prepper friendly doctor. May be tough, but doesn't hurt to ask. Veterinary supply shops should be a good source.

I keep a few antibiotics around for SHTF. You need a few to over the majority of scenarios you could encounter. You also need some knowledge on what to treat. In normal times people love going to the doctor for "sinus infections" and "bronchitis". They get antibiotics and often complain they aren't strong enough and didn't work. They don't work because 90-98% of these infections are viral. Studies show that even the bacterial sinus infections get better with no antibiotics. You won't want to waste your precious resources on these. If people have just a cough, productive of ugly stuff with a fever it may be pneumonia. I imagine if SHTF this will become much more common. That is worth treating. Skin infections are likely to be the most common thing encountered.

Doxycycline - This is a good all-around antibiotic. Great for SHTF because it treats respiratory infections, skin infections (including most strains of MRSA) and tick borne diseases like Lyme. Bad because unlike many antibiotics, it actually has a shelf life. I wouldn't use this more than 3 years beyond factory expiration date. Probably 5 years beyond expiration noted on the bottle. One twice a day for 10 days. Even though the recommendations for Lyme say treat for 21 days, 10 is sufficient.

Ciprofloxacin/levofloxacin/moxifloxacin - cousins, but levofloxacin and moxifloxacin cover more. Good for pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections (diverticulitis), bacterial diarrhea, and also treat anthrax, if that is an issue.

Bactrim (TMP/SMZ) - Another good "workhorse". If I could pick only one, this would be it. Treats skin infections (including most strains of MRSA), respiratory infections like pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections.

Metronidazole -Use in combination with Bactrim or any of the -floxacin antibiotics for penetrating abdominal wounds. Use by itself for parasitic infections like amebic dysentery.

Tamiflu - May be useful. I have it because I can, but probably the least important thing. If you have a group and the flu hits, quarantine those people who have it. If you have very young or very old folks, they may be worth treating. If I were in a SHTF scenario and I got the flu, I wouldn't take it for myself.

Shelf life on everything but doxycycline should be decades.
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:14 AM #5
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
Good question. Procurement is the biggest problem for most folks. Sometimes you can find a prepper friendly doctor. May be tough, but doesn't hurt to ask. Veterinary supply shops should be a good source.

I keep a few antibiotics around for SHTF. You need a few to over the majority of scenarios you could encounter. You also need some knowledge on what to treat. In normal times people love going to the doctor for "sinus infections" and "bronchitis". They get antibiotics and often complain they aren't strong enough and didn't work. They don't work because 90-98% of these infections are viral. Studies show that even the bacterial sinus infections get better with no antibiotics. You won't want to waste your precious resources on these. If people have just a cough, productive of ugly stuff with a fever it may be pneumonia. I imagine if SHTF this will become much more common. That is worth treating. Skin infections are likely to be the most common thing encountered.

Doxycycline - This is a good all-around antibiotic. Great for SHTF because it treats respiratory infections, skin infections (including most strains of MRSA) and tick borne diseases like Lyme. Bad because unlike many antibiotics, it actually has a shelf life. I wouldn't use this more than 3 years beyond factory expiration date. Probably 5 years beyond expiration noted on the bottle. One twice a day for 10 days. Even though the recommendations for Lyme say treat for 21 days, 10 is sufficient.

Ciprofloxacin/levofloxacin/moxifloxacin - cousins, but levofloxacin and moxifloxacin cover more. Good for pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections (diverticulitis), bacterial diarrhea, and also treat anthrax, if that is an issue.

Bactrim (TMP/SMZ) - Another good "workhorse". If I could pick only one, this would be it. Treats skin infections (including most strains of MRSA), respiratory infections like pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections.

Metronidazole -Use in combination with Bactrim or any of the -floxacin antibiotics for penetrating abdominal wounds. Use by itself for parasitic infections like amebic dysentery.

Tamiflu - May be useful. I have it because I can, but probably the least important thing. If you have a group and the flu hits, quarantine those people who have it. If you have very young or very old folks, they may be worth treating. If I were in a SHTF scenario and I got the flu, I wouldn't take it for myself.

Now that's an ANSWER!

Thank you.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Alea Jacta Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:23 AM #6
Handgunner

Handgunner

Great info Doc and the insight on how when and why is very helpful.
AGC

ahphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:34 AM #7
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post

Thanks for the info.
I'll be printing this out and keeping it stashed away somewhere.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:53 AM #8

You should stock up on Fish meds so you can make sure your aquarium is healthy for that rainy day.

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index...tibiotics.html

MacMoov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:55 AM #9

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

http://survivalblog.com/so_you_bough..._by_tx_er_doc/

http://survivalblog.com/seven_antibiotics_to_stockpile/
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:07 AM #10

Money post, teratos. Thanks