• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    What is the approval process for buying body armor? Doesn’t it require msp approval?

It shouldn't require approval, unless the person wanting to purchase has been convicted of a violent crime, or drug trafficking:

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ngDivision/Firearms/BulletProofBodyArmor.aspx

only a person with a prior conviction for a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime as defined in the statutes listed on the left side of the page, must apply to use, possess or purchase bullet proof body armor. Before you may use, possess or purchase bullet proof body armor, your application must be approved.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I prefer metal for my scenario. Got tired of having to take mine out of my kit for the several recalls we had on the ceramic stuff (yes could happen to metal also I know). Saw several guys break their plates in the sandbox which required replacements ASAP (yes they were unlucky and/or doing still stuff but most joes won't break a steel plate).

I'm not looking at humping a 100+lbs if things do go bad, yes, may happen but that is not my plan.

Would like the kids to make use of the kit down the road if I don't. Metal should last their lifetimes also which makes me feel a bit better about the money spent.

I like that I can put steel in the trunk of my car with no concerns, some of the new stuff has heat issues which may shorten its life.

Now, if you told me I would need to use them next month for a year and never again then maybe my thought process would change.

Personal call.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I've been looking at those backpack panels as well, I always have my pack with me, it would certainly be practical.

To follow up on the post, I called Body Armor Outlet to find out when their ceramic level IV 1155 plates were shipping out. Theyre a bit heavy, but for a $135 plate that's NIJ certified, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for my first go.

He said they were shipping out first week of August, so I got the plates and upgraded carrier. Haven't gotten them yet, but I'll try and remember to post when I do!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I never see myself going dynamic "all kitted up". Not even in a home defense scenario. There won't be any time to throw that crap on anyway.
    I am however, looking at backpack panels. If there's ever a chance I have to get out of my vehicle and am taking fire. Would be nice to have something held up in front of me getting out the door.
    Always get out of that bullet magnet of a car.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I never see myself going dynamic "all kitted up". Not even in a home defense scenario. There won't be any time to throw that crap on anyway.
    I am however, looking at backpack panels. If there's ever a chance I have to get out of my vehicle and am taking fire. Would be nice to have something held up in front of me getting out the door.

I would go backpack steel. Heavy. Put it on the 'outside inside' of the pack. The fillings will absorb the trauma.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm getting too old to hump steel anymore. I've got ceramic, but if I have to didi mau, I'll probably drop that crap and grab a naked chest rig and haul ass.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would go backpack steel. Heavy. Put it on the 'outside inside' of the pack. The fillings will absorb the trauma.

Umm, I do use my backpack. It's heavy as it is.

There is a company that sells fitted panels for brands of back packs. I have a section where there's a piece of ptfn? plastic for support. The panel replaces that. It stays hidden.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Umm, I do use my backpack. It's heavy as it is.

There is a company that sells fitted panels for brands of back packs. I have a section where there's a piece of ptfn? plastic for support. The panel replaces that. It stays hidden.

Never start a sentence with umm.

Got linkee?

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I'm getting too old to hump steel anymore. I've got ceramic, but if I have to didi mau, I'll probably drop that crap and grab a naked chest rig and haul ass.

I'm not even old and plates are the first thing I'd dump if I had to leave my vehicle or apartment behind for good. Someday when I get the ones that are buoyant, that'll be a different story.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Botach's iiia battle steel fits right in the rush 24. Surprisingly, it makes the backpack more comfortable. It's like .5" of padding on your back. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 20200804_082611.jpg
      20200804_082611.jpg
      93.6 KB · Views: 224
    • 20200804_082544.jpg
      20200804_082544.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 229
    • 20200804_083354.jpg
      20200804_083354.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 209
    Last edited:

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I'm not even old and plates are the first thing I'd dump if I had to leave my vehicle or apartment behind for good. Someday when I get the ones that are buoyant, that'll be a different story.
    I think I agree, especially after weighing my bugout bag.

Just gotta wait for the price tag on the buoyant ones to go down... Good lord!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom