• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Considering a Ak style 12 gauge as my next/ maybe last before election purchase. Looking for input. I know options are Saiga, Verp, Century Arms Fury 1&2... Any other suggestions? Considering price? Manufacturers warranty? After market following (magazines, furniture, etc...) not the mention I am a Md resident and its compliance. What do you own or as a non owner would would you buy and why?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm a Saiga 12 owner. This platform is not really GTG right out of the box. They are military-pedigree arms meant for full-power ammo, so if you want to fire lighter loads, like skeet rounds, they'll need some work. There are kits available that claim to help you shoot light loads, but they're band aids, and of questionable utility. A proper job includes checking, and if needed tending to, the gas ports in barrel, and performing some profiling and polishing of the BCG. I took care of all of these issues and my Saiga 12's run smoothly and reliably. They are loads of fun, but you have to tune them. Check out the Saiga 12 forum. I got a ton of useful advice there.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I also have a Saiga 12. With a little bit of work, they can be very fun. And sticking with buck or slugs, almost as reliable as death and taxes.

The vepr12 is probably a little more 'user friendly' due to the slightly different gas system and magazine well. But I got a good deal on my Saiga 12, so that's what I chose.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I would vote also for Saiga! Like the one above said saiga-12.com for info! Create a WTB ad,Make 922r compliant and find some izhmash magazines.they arent cheap especially in 12g but can be obtained and more reliable than any american made mags!

CZ4ME

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 12, 2014
    I too am a Saiga-12 owner. Mine was purchased when prices were low and before any type of bans were put in place. Gunbroker has a few of them listed at somewhat reasonable prices.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    VEPR wins the day.

The Saiga requires the following: an auto-gas regulator, or you won't be able to switch between loads without manually setting the gas plug. The rock-and-lock mags are not as friendly as the VEPR, especially when fully loaded on a closed bolt. The LRBHO is a nice feature of the VEPR that the Saiga won't have without some surgery and added expense.

That said they are both solid Russian designs and will run equally well once broken in. Really there is more that is similar between them, than different.

The Fury, I haven't owned and can't vouch for.

Sirex