• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    FNAR. Lightweight, VERY accurate...as clandestine said though... a little tricky to take apart.

I've got an old 79 browning BAR that's pretty much the same gun with a few design tweaks and the teardown gets pretty easy after the first time you do it. Toss on a good movie and time flies.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I own the M1A, PTR-91, FAL, and an AR-308. AR-308 wins hands-down from a practical POV. I have no particular preferences regarding the remainder - they have their pluses and minuses.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    For the budget you listed, I'd go with an M1 Garand from CMP. They'll ship it right to your door too. If you don't already have one, you really should get one.

Good luck finding an M1 Garand in .308, if .308 is requisite. I just went through this same thing and decided to bite the bullet and buy a higher end AR-10 pattern rifle. I still may buy a .308 Garand if they ever become available again.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Be careful with that. If you do.. Absolutely make make sure you buy a Lower and Upper from the same Brand cause there are Two different patterns that the makers use and Most parts are NOT interchangeable like AR15 stuff.

It sounds like you have a not so smart friend who tried to build an AR-10, failed miserably, and then sold you a project. :innocent0

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I've got 5.56 covered. I'd like to get a semi-auto, mag fed rifle in a heavier caliber. .308 I suppose? But I'm totally open to other suggestions.

Primary uses will be entering the "Heavy" division in multigun competitions. I don't need or want fancy race gear. I don't compete to win, just to have fun. Only other "heavy" rifle I have access to is the family Garand, but I don't want to drag that through the woods.

I'm hoping to keep the rifle around $800-$1k. Another $600-$750 on the optic, and up to $250 on accessories, mags, or any performance upgrades necessary. Total of up to $2k.

S&W AR-10 is a little more than your budget. I think the DPMS is around the same. Understand that AR10 parts are not as interchangeable as your 15. I think the SW10 is a decent weight. It's hefty with full 20rd mag and optic. Not sure your optic req is for comp. I have an aimpoint pro on top which has been solid for me (i don't compete). I defer and trust Clandestine for advice in anything else to make a better run and gun platform.

I plan to update rails but would like to know how I can make it lighter but pretty sure the weight savings are neglible. RECOIL mag did a recent story on a sub 7lb AR10.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I considered a VEPR, but I've read too much about extractors breaking and being too hard to come by.

Vepr parts are not easy to locate unless things have changed last time I looked.

A machine that actually gets used that has rare or insanely expensive parts is a bad thing IMO.

Last edited:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    It sounds like you have a not so smart friend who tried to build an AR-10, failed miserably, and then sold you a project. :innocent0

I wouldn't say that, i would say i have friend who learned the hard way and So did i trying to make it work. I just got lucky in the fact that he gave me a good deal and i was able to make it work without having to replace a bunch of stuff. ;)Bolt hold open still not working right but I will get it. :sad20:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Garand was a great battle rifle, as long as the other guys only had bolt action rifles. It was revolutionary for its time, but its time is long past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom