How I got into Full Auto Cheap but still have a nice gun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Wow..... I bought a few a few years before you and mine were under $ 300.00 each.
    Well it was 1980 or 81.. LOL. You guys got ripped off.

Yeah... still had a year or two before I was born...

Machine guns are like trees. And you know what they say about trees: The BEST time to plant one is 20yrs ago. The next best time is today.

I like that!

Someone once told me that its only money, years from now you will not remember the money but you will remember all the great times you had with the gun! At first that sounded like a load of crap... but having taken the hit several times on MGs... I do still remember the money but it does not seem like the giant leap it seemed at the time. Also I look at all the semi autos I could have bought with the money and I am very glad I did without them and went for the MG! As I look at my gun collection... if bad times hit and guns had to get sold... the MGs would be some of the last to go (excluding personal reasons). However my MG can shoot semi and its a lot more fun than a pile of handguns or SBRs...

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just as long as you have a place to shoot them. :-)

We shoot them all the time at the AGC. We have a whole club dedicated to shooting MGs. We can help you buy/fix/upgrade....etc. any MG. Don't let stop you, the AGC is a great place to shoot MGs in central MD. We have people driving 2 hours to get shoot with us.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    We're having a F/A shoot this coming Sunday afternoon on the AGC 100-yard range. Stop by and say hello.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    We shoot them all the time at the AGC. We have a whole club dedicated to shooting MGs. We can help you buy/fix/upgrade....etc. any MG. Don't let stop you, the AGC is a great place to shoot MGs in central MD. We have people driving 2 hours to get shoot with us.

Living in Deep Southern Maryland, AGC is a 2 hour drive each way for me. Too far to be practical.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Living in Deep Southern Maryland, AGC is a 2 hour drive each way for me. Too far to be practical.

If you are that far south, there are plenty of places in VA.

2A Sales has a nice Mac 10/9 with a Max10 upper on it for a fair price right now! Just saw it today. Its heavy but I bet it shoots nice!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you are that far south, there are plenty of places in VA.

2A Sales has a nice Mac 10/9 with a Max10 upper on it for a fair price right now! Just saw it today. Its heavy but I bet it shoots nice!

I live so far south that getting to Virginia requires driving north 30 miles.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I was talking to someone else the other day who took my advice and did basically what I posted here about. I wonder how many have done it now. It was a smart move seeing that the gun has doubled in value since I wrote this thread!

Its not to late either. The Mac is still seriously under valued when compared to the UZI or M16. Its not to late to get in, relatively cheap!

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    As you know IMBLITZVT, I got into full auto because of this post. 2 Mac's, 2 uppers (Lage and SABRE) and 2 years later I'm super happy I did. I rarely get to shoot any more due to increased family responsibilities, but when I do the MG's always come and make for some amazingly optimized fun for my very small amount of range time.

-Jim

Attachments

• mgs.jpg
      mgs.jpg
      126.9 KB · Views: 617

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ... I rarely get to shoot any more due to increased family responsibilities, ...
    -Jim

Jim, Good to hear from you! I thought you fell off the face of the earth! Got to tell the Wife to suck it up, I need my trigger time! We have our Pumpkin shoot this Saturday! Tell her you are going out to dispose of the pumpkins!

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    This thread is now six years old :sad20:

M11/9s closer to 7-8K now. 3k doesn't seem so bad now.

I thought my m11/9 was expensive at $3800. We are all gasping now at the $7k+ mark but I wonder if we'll be in a similar situation in 6 more years.

Since 1986 MG's have never lost value, there has certainly been a recent spike in price, but I don't think we are in a bubble. A crest perhaps, but every "generation" of MG buyers goes through the same cycle of:

1. Looking back and wishing they'd bought earlier.
    2. Sucking it up and buying when they could, holding their nose at the price.
    3. Several years later bragging to friends about how cheap they got in to MG's / Wishing they bought more when they were "cheap" (see #2).

The cycle has held up for quite some time, of course past performance is not an indicator of future results.

-Jim

PS: I now believe the M11/9 (and in the future a MAC-10) are more desirable than an Uzi for "shooters" The replaceable upper makes it nearly (nearly is perhaps a bit strong) on par with a M16. More and more options come out regularly now to improve the Mac series of guns and it just keeps getting better. Because there are so many out there, there is a market for innovation unlike many other MG's. The new Tungsten bolt for the M11/9 completely transforms the gun into a real Uzi competitor.

To that end, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mac guns get near Uzi prices one day.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The only things that would hurt FA value would be the Fed opening new FA to civilians. Or the outright ban.

Either scenario would have devastating effects on transferable MG prices, to put it mildly.

But more likely, demographics will hurt the prices. As the baby boomers who own them now die off and their collections get sold, the prices will gradually come down. Many of the pussified millennials have no interest in MGs. A lot of the guys who own them now could not afford to buy their collections at today's prices. Reminds me of the 2007 housing bubble when people who owned their home for 20 years could not afford to buy it again at the 2007 price levels.

I'm staying the heck out of MGs until the prices return to sane levels. TMGN rents all sorts of full auto goodies pretty cheap. I think the MP5 is $100/hour. I'm happy to do that when I want a MG smile.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Wow, I paid slightly over $4K for my 11/9 and thought it was a lot. IIRC this thread was one of the things that tipped the scales for me.

Sadly a $20K AR conversion is now and forever will be out of reach. In 5 years it'll be worth $25-27K. Even if things level off, the only way I'm owning one is if I win the lottery. It makes a $10K AR-180 seem like a steal.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    As you know IMBLITZVT, I got into full auto because of this post. 2 Mac's, 2 uppers (Lage and SABRE) and 2 years later I'm super happy I did. I rarely get to shoot any more due to increased family responsibilities, but when I do the MG's always come and make for some amazingly optimized fun for my very small amount of range time.

-Jim

Your a lucky guy !! Would have loved to had a Saber in either .223 or especially 7.62x39.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom