• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So I got a spot to clear out some deer and bought a nice Moultrie Unlimited feeder to bring in the deer to stack up and the property owner just told me they have a bear in the neighborhood. Seems to be a young male, but he's tearing up bird feeders and chicken feeders at will. I know he's going to trash my deer feeder if I put it out.

I hung a 6 gallon feeder from a rope and pulleys to start, but its just a PITA. The rope twists and you can't lower or raise it by yourself. What have you all done as this is my first time dealing with a bear and a feeder.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I've never dealt with bears but I would think they would tear up any type of feeder. Is your spot to far to maybe just spread some corn out from time to time? The deer won't forget where they found it. :)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    A friend of mine in western MD hangs his with a rope and pulley set up too, but he uses a hand crank to raise and lower it. Something similar to a come along or boat trailer crank

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Big year for bears. BIG

I’ve had one wandering around the back yard twice in a week. This is way early imo.

Don’t take them for granted. They are powerful and can cover fifteen yards in a second or two from a dead stop. They are also highly unpredictable.

YMMV

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I just pulled my feeders in.

A friend of mine made a pulley system and one day he heard something outside. He went to pull the feeder towards him and it pulled back. The bear had climbed the tree where the other pulley was and was wheeling the feeder his way.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Lol, my daughter said them same thing and I have little interest in bear meat. She may make me sign up just so If I get picked she can be on my team and kill one.

I got some old coated steel cable and might crimp it between trees and might have to get cable for the winch. Even though he's small I bet the bugger would figure to chew a rope.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My son hunts with a couple of his friends in Frederick County. They went out a month or so ago and put up stands and trail cams. Two days later one of the trail cams had a sow and 2 cubs on it (close to my son's stand) They have picked them up on the cameras all over the property since.
    About 2 weeks ago they set up a feeder, the type with a drum elevated on a tripod. The next night the trail cam watching that feeder showed the sow standing uner the feeder (with a very innocent look on her face) The next picture showed the tripod splayed out on the ground, the feed drum on the ground and the bear chowing down. LOL!

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Lol, my daughter said them same thing and I have little interest in bear meat. She may make me sign up just so If I get picked she can be on my team and kill one.

I got some old coated steel cable and might crimp it between trees and might have to get cable for the winch. Even though he's small I bet the bugger would figure to chew a rope.

I've never had bear so can't comment from experience, but its fatty, and supposedly a good fat like pork, so I gotta think it would be good for sausage.

There's a youtube vid of a not so small bear hand over handing it across a cable or rope on you tube to get to a feeder... pretty impressive critter.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    We don’t even bother with feeders at our place in WV because of the bears. They’ve ripped mineral/ feed blocks off of trees that were lag bolted in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Funny thing is, a lot of bear will walk past a feeder if there is ear corn lying around.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I found two trees close enough and put a 20' tow chain across them and lagged a winch to the tree. Next time I got to put the winch on a board and lag the board to the tree. Hopefully he does't try climbing and we'll be leaving deer guts and liver for him to eat.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I've never had bear so can't comment from experience, but its fatty, and supposedly a good fat like pork, so I gotta think it would be good for sausage.

There's a youtube vid of a not so small bear hand over handing it across a cable or rope on you tube to get to a feeder... pretty impressive critter.

Yes it is terribly fatty and tastes horrible so don't enter the lottery :-)

Most of the fat is on the outside of the muscle groups and the under the hide and can be removed. The ribs have some fat. Most of the meat is as lean or leaner than venison and tastes like a cross between veal and venison to me. Cook it like pork and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom