• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    My friend is a active duty Air Force and is getting ready to retire in a few months. He is currently stationed in NC. He has a Texas drivers license. His home of record is in Virginia. He votes in Virginia. Is he able to purchase a lower receiver in Virginia? What forms of identification can he use?

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    If he is active duty his residence where his last assigned orders put him. I am in the exact same boat. I am a NC resident but stationed in MD and after 30 days after my orders went into effect I can no longer purchase in NC. I had my local FFL look it up.

Per 27 CFR 478.11 State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b). The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

If he is at Seymor Johnson there are a ton of shops down there, especially at Bragg. Jims in Fayetteville has Spikes for $99.99. Ed's in Vass is another good shop. All he needs is his orders and Mil ID to buy a lower there in NC.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Military Personnel

Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia, including the Pentagon, are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun.

Identification and residency are established by the following:

A military photo-identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense and proof that Virginia is the permanent duty station via current military assignment orders is acceptable identification and residency documentation to establish military personnel as residents of Virginia.

If permanently assigned to a mobile unit in Virginia, and the homeport is listed as Virginia; the transaction may be processed as a Virginia resident the same as any other permanent military assignment to Virginia supported by military assignment orders. The individual is treated as a non-Virginia resident if the homeport is listed as any place other than Virginia.

Individuals retired from military service are subject to the same identification and residency requirements as any other person wishing to purchase a firearm; i.e., a primary and secondary form of ID.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    If he is active duty his residence where his last assigned orders put him. I am in the exact same boat. I am a NC resident but stationed in MD and after 30 days after my orders went into effect I can no longer purchase in NC. I had my local FFL look it up.

Per 27 CFR 478.11 State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b). The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

If he is at Seymor Johnson there are a ton of shops down there, especially at Bragg. Jims in Fayetteville has Spikes for $99.99. Ed's in Vass is another good shop. All he needs is his orders and Mil ID to buy a lower there in NC.

Thanks. Yes he's Seymor Johnson. I sent him to Jims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom