Looking for Wrongful Termination Attorney.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    As the title says I am seeking to retain legal counsel for a possible wrongful termination suit against my employer. I am being maliciously slandered at work and unfortunately the chief of staff is buying it.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Just went through the same hostile management ********. Got "Laid off" with severance pay....just got the final check......don't play their game.....man up say nothing and walk out the door. It's not worth your sanity....the hassle or and retribution you may be thinking of. Move on.....Move on......You will be a better person for it.....I think that its a new opportunity in my life to start fresh......think about it.....it does work.....good luck.:thumbsup:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Wow thought I was the only one. Was released to return to work after an injury I received the 1st of February .Return date on 26 th of August . Went in and told no work. After that week called shop and was still told no work. Wednesday the 4 th I show up to see what's going on and the shop is running with a new employee on my bench. WTF.

robertt822

Apr 10, 2013
    Laurel
    Remember MD is at will state, you can be let go at any time for no reason, happened to me, had 19 years, new manager he was a a**hat, but upper management thought he was hot s**t, I lost

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    File for unemployment ASAP.. If you were really terminated for no good reason you should be able to get it(the UI) and it should help you later.. Plus you'll keep a little cash coming in too. You can almost be sure that the company will appeal it but fight it anyway. I did it and got UI for over a year. Employers hate it because it affects their UI insurance rate..

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Wow thought I was the only one. Was released to return to work after an injury I received the 1st of February .Return date on 26 th of August . Went in and told no work. After that week called shop and was still told no work. Wednesday the 4 th I show up to see what's going on and the shop is running with a new employee on my bench. WTF.

If it was a work related injury, I don't think they can do that but as always IANAL. I would at least ask one though. Something sounds fishy.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

If it was work related and you haven't settled yet get a lawyer and rape them. Most places will play you along and once it is settled drop you like a used rubber.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock

Similar thing happened to me many years ago.

When I was released to go back to work, they put me behind a desk doing clerical work because it was "slow". Meanwhile, the TWO guys they hired to replace me while I was out stayed on the road - one working out of my old truck with some of MY personal tools! (Many of which "grew feet" while I was out, and I only got a few back - when I caught other techs using them!)

In the mean time, the secretary was having an affair with the branch manager's nephew, and her husband found out and her life became a perpetual train wreck. Her work started slipping, so they kept piling more and more of it on me, to try to get me to quit.

I finally just told the branch manager, "Look you don't want me here, and I don't want to be here *doing this* (pushing a pencil and answering phones). So why don't you just lay me off?"

They did!

After collecting unemployment for a while, Mrs. Safetech and I started our own business - on a shoestring. That was 25 years ago.

Never looked back!

It was one of the best things to even happen to me.

One man's "wrongful termination" is another man's "opportunity"!

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Remember MD is at will state, you can be let go at any time for no reason, happened to me, had 19 years, new manager he was a a**hat, but upper management thought he was hot s**t, I lost

"at will" doesn't really mean as muhc as you think it means.

having been through management training at my company, they are always bending over backwards to avoid suits like these.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lots of good advice in here. I was in a similar situation. Now I would like to take the guy who forced me out to a nice dinner as a gesture of thanking him for moving my life forward.

Move on and don't look back.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Similar thing happened to me many years ago.

When I was released to go back to work, they put me behind a desk doing clerical work because it was "slow". Meanwhile, the TWO guys they hired to replace me while I was out stayed on the road - one working out of my old truck with some of MY personal tools! (Many of which "grew feet" while I was out, and I only got a few back - when I caught other techs using them!)

In the mean time, the secretary was having an affair with the branch manager's nephew, and her husband found out and her life became a perpetual train wreck. Her work started slipping, so they kept piling more and more of it on me, to try to get me to quit.

I finally just told the branch manager, "Look you don't want me here, and I don't want to be here *doing this* (pushing a pencil and answering phones). So why don't you just lay me off?"

They did!

After collecting unemployment for a while, Mrs. Safetech and I started our own business - on a shoestring. That was 25 years ago.

Never looked back!

It was one of the best things to even happen to me.

One man's "wrongful termination" is another man's "opportunity"!
    Great story! This made my day!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Reading through these stories it sounds like it's all what you make of it. Fighting is an option although even with a win it will take time, $$--there's always a price to pay. Those that chose to make lemonade from their lemons were happy as well.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    If it was a work related injury, I don't think they can do that but as always IANAL. I would at least ask one though. Something sounds fishy.

In Maryland, it is a misdemeanor to terminate an employee solely for filing a workers' compensation claim. However, the courts have watered this down, and it means that if the employer can articulate a reason why he terminated the employee other than the filing of a claim, the termination is not wrongful. It is very difficult for an employee to prevail on such a claim.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Buddy of mine was working for FedEx and got injured on the job, within the scope of his work. He was moving a shipping crate when his bicep tore - nearly a 100% tear.

Long story short, he was out of work due to the injury and rehab, and they terminated him about the time he was supposed to come back - no reason for the termination and he'd been an excellent employee prior to the injury.

The end result was that he wound up with a pretty hefty settlement after he retained an attorney and took them to task.

Good luck brother - I hope that it comes out in your favor.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    It was work related, I did some checking and since this is a shop that has less then 15 employees the EEOC rules don't apply. So basically that's a dead end. But I'm not done with this yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom