• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    I'm about to put mine to use this weekend in North Carolina! Picked up my Glock 30sf from The Gun Shop this morning and took her straight to Freestate for breaking in :thumbup: Now to find a left handed IWB holster :cool:

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I hope it wasn't the group from Silver Spring!! OH NOOOOOOO!!!!

Nope, Hagerstown.

It was one packet out of 43 sent in the same package.

We know the application packet made it to Utah BCI. I have the signed receipt from USPS and others from the class have received their permits already. Every package is sent registered priority mail. Utah does misplace a packet every now and then.

We were able to put together a replacement package within a day or two of notification. The replacement package was then sent FedEx overnight. Utah BCI was called and asked to expedite the package since they lost the other packet. They assured me that the packet would be processed right away. We will see.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    I think that using a hunter's safety class to apply for a carry permit opens someone up to a potential mess. I don't recommend it.

Why not? The state issuing the license/permit says that it is sufficient. A DD-214 also works for FL. It doesn't ask if you ever even saw a handgun while in the military.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Why not? The state issuing the license/permit says that it is sufficient. A DD-214 also works for FL. It doesn't ask if you ever even saw a handgun while in the military.

Because he can't make money if you use the hunter ed certificate.

I do feel that everyone that wants to carry a concealed firearm should have more than a hunter ed certificate. That being said, it is the requirement. I always strongly suggest that a permit holder get additional training and practice on a regular basis.

Mdeng

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Its actually got less to do with making money, and more to do with the material covered. Hunter safety should be for hunting, period. If I ever have to shoot someone in self-defense, and my training comes into question in court, I wouldn't want to sit on the witness stand and say that I took a hunter safety class when I was 14....that's just me, YMMV.

Same reason that I think online gun classes are crap. I could make a boatload of money if I wanted to offer certs to people who watched a 30 minute video. I respect the concept of training more than that.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    Because he can't make money if you use the hunter ed certificate.

I do feel that everyone that wants to carry a concealed firearm should have more than a hunter ed certificate. That being said, it is the requirement. I always strongly suggest that a permit holder get additional training and practice on a regular basis.

Mdeng

I've been a professional firearms/DT/use of force trainer for 25 years. I agree that people should be well trained, but I also suggest that if that's what the state wants/requires, then that is what you give them. If the person wants more training, then go for it.

Let's be honest; what real "training" does someone get by going through a NRA basic pistol class? How to be safe, how to line up the sights, and how to make the gun go bang. Gee, that's exactly what you learn in a hunter ed class.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    If I ever have to shoot someone in self-defense, and my training comes into question in court, I wouldn't want to sit on the witness stand and say that I took a hunter safety class when I was 14....that's just me, YMMV.

Have you ever been in court for a self defense shooting, as a witness or as an expert? Can you cite any non-LEO cases where training (or lack thereof) was an issue?

i.c.spots

Jul 27, 2010
    Finksburg
    Let's be honest; what real "training" does someone get by going through a NRA basic pistol class? How to be safe, how to line up the sights, and how to make the gun go bang. Gee, that's exactly what you learn in a hunter ed class.

Where do I sign up? I was wondering how to make the gun go bang. I can't seem to get these damn snap caps to go bang. :rolleye12

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I think that using a hunter's safety class to apply for a carry permit opens someone up to a potential mess. I don't recommend it.

Do you know if the NRA First Steps pistol class qualifies or do you need the longer Basic Pistol class? This is in regard to the FL non resident CCW.

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Took the Utah class at Free State April 10th and got my permit in the mail today. Can anyone point me to a link of the states that are covered with the Utah permit?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You have to take the Utah CFP class. No other training class qualifies you for the permit.

My mistake. Bad question. I wanted to know about a FL non resident CCW. I know they require some sort of NRA certification but I don't know which one qualifies. I have my UT CCW.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My mistake. Bad question. I wanted to know about a FL non resident CCW. I know they require some sort of NRA certification but I don't know which one qualifies. I have my UT CCW.

Here's FL's requirement as cut and pasted from their website. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I used my hunter education cert for my resident permit. The states are asking for gun safety, not legal advice. That said, I have taken a concealed carry class in Norfolk many years ago, but I lost the certificate somewhere during one of my many moves. I think legal aspects should be something that individuals should know, and I do highly recommend getting a class on it just to educate yourself, but that's a personal choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom