• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    So in the last three or four years I have gotten hooked on building my own rifles. I have built four AR15 on in 6.5 Grendel the other are all 5.56 various lengths and configurations , many sub moa rifles. Then I built an AR10 in 308. Things shoots les than a half mom. Then I decided to build one AR15 and one AR10 from 80%. Lowers. One 5.56 one in 308, both are 20” heavies that shoot lights out. So I had two Rem 700 270 win hunting rifles and after much consideration I bought a McGowen Precision Remage 1-8 twist to fire the Berger 170 gr EOL Hunter. 26” barrel lobs them out at 2,900 FPS plus. sub moa rifle. So next I was wanting a really heavy load rifle long range rifle. After a lot of consideration I built a REM 700 338 Win Mag from scratch. Again 26” Sendero but with a brake on her. Awesome rifle pushing 300’s at 2,600. So I have an original Rem 700 SPS Stainless sitting around and I want to build something between the 270 win and the 338. But it has to be in a standard 473 boot long action. Again a lot of research and I decided to go with a 284 Win. As I have learned I would much rather fire the heaviest bullets I can with the highest BC possible than light bullets that loose energy way fast as you stretch them out. I am having a McGowen Precision 28” 1-8 twist just target crown Sendero profile barrel built. Chambering is a 284 win Gap but I plan to have it custom throated to fire the Berger 195gr EOL Hunter. So I will make up four dummy rounds and have them throat it 10 thousands of the lands. Does anyone here have any experience with the 284 win with the 195’s so I can set them to the appropriate COAL. I want it long so I can get as much case volume as possible but I want to be able to load some 175’ and 180’s VLD’s as well. What ultimate velocity do you think I should be able to get out of the 195’s? 28” 1-8 twist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom