• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    So, I recently picked up a kit gun PPS 43/52 and I plan to rebuild as much as possible myself. Planning to make it a rifle with a 16.1" 7.62x25 barrel. OAL with wood stock will be over 30" so MD legal as well.

Here's my current dilemma: I need a full diagram for a PPS 43/52, not a 43. They are similar enough but the way the butt stock attaches is enough to throw the plans off. Secondly, I have no barrel shroud or upper. I only have the sections with the sights. I intend to make a custom shroud and transplant the sights. As for the breech and gas block, I think I have it? I will post a picture later in hopes of getting it identified.

I feel that this project is going to be a slog, but am hoping to pick up a number of useful abilities while I work through it. I hope you gentlemen can give me good insight into bringing this old kit back to life as a semi auto pistol caliber rifle.

Last edited:

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    So, I recently picked up a kit gun PPS 43/52 and I plan to rebuild as much as possible myself. Planning to make it a rifle with a 16.1" 7.62x25 barrel. OAL with wood stock will be over 30" so MD legal as well.

Here's my current dilemma: I need a full diagram for a PPS 43/52, not a 43. They are similar enough but the way the butt stock attaches is enough to throw the plans off. Secondly, I have no barrel shroud or upper. I only have the sections with the sights. I intend to make a custom shroud and transplant the sights. As for the breech and gas block, I think I have it? I will post a picture later in hopes of getting it identified.

I feel that this project is going to be a slog, but am hoping to pick up a number of useful abilities while I work through it. I hope you gentlemen can give me good insight into bringing this old kit back to life as a semi auto pistol caliber rifle.

Unsure how the 43/52 butt stock attaches, but overall would think you can use the lower to make all your measurements?

I built my 43 as an extended shroud with a 16" barrel using tubing which was a terrible idea. Most people now buy multiple front ends and blend them

http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/pps43.html

Omega sells great quality front ends, just cut what you don't need off and stitch them together.

http://militarygunsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=863

MGS sells a basic flat then you have to bend using unistrut (you can google for the jig) Or you can buy the repair section and again cut what you don't need.

Bolt is the biggest pain in the rear. It's pretty hard so you'll have to soften it. Drill it out for an actual firing pin.

For trigger's, I've seen shotgun, AK, and SKS used.

kpproducts44@gmail.com

KP Products is THE go-to guy for the 43, 43/52, and KP-44. Might be worth contacting him. He is where I got my trigger work done, he sold me my 9x19 barrel as well.

Good luck, the 43 series is a super easy build (was my first).

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I actually have a bolt, it's just not pictured. Trigger is installed and live, but the safety seems to be a PITA atm and I may need to take it out for tuning.

Thanks for the tip on using the lower for measurements, that actually honestly skipped my mind. I'll probably buy the repair section and cut what isn't needed off, then weld and the rest and reblue the gun to the same finish. As for the front section, I get where you are coming from with just using damaged segments to weld-up. On that, I guess I'll buy the shroud from Omega, cut it open, and weld my sections in. That will save me an immense amount of effort.

However, I am adamant about changing out the sights, which I failed to mention in my last post. I am going to attempt to make a ring sight for the rifle. Will be leaning on a friend who is literally a physicist to help double check my math so I don't screw up the ballistic equation for the build. I'm doing a ring sight as I am slightly far sighted and ring sights work better for me (even with glasses).

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    One more tip, if you use the 16" barrel you'll want that installed prior to welding everything up if you rivet the trunion in place. It won't fit otherwise. Many people have had to cut the receiver apart finding out the hard way on that.

I went a changeable barrel (9mm and 7.62x25) so I tapped my trunion and use a button screw that is blue loctite in place. So my whole trunion is removable.

I use an HK style push pin on the lower so I can break it open to swap the barrel. The push pin is green loctite (I think? hard to remember now) so it's permanent to meet the ATF requirement. For whatever reason (if I'm recalling correctly) I struggled to get the rivets to let the upper swing open, but the push pin worked just fine.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    One more tip, if you use the 16" barrel you'll want that installed prior to welding everything up if you rivet the trunion in place. It won't fit otherwise. Many people have had to cut the receiver apart finding out the hard way on that.

I went a changeable barrel (9mm and 7.62x25) so I tapped my trunion and use a button screw that is blue loctite in place. So my whole trunion is removable.

I use an HK style push pin on the lower so I can break it open to swap the barrel. The push pin is green loctite (I think? hard to remember now) so it's permanent to meet the ATF requirement. For whatever reason (if I'm recalling correctly) I struggled to get the rivets to let the upper swing open, but the push pin worked just fine.

Might want further instructions on the changeable barrel concept in the future once I get to that. Being able to swap calibers would be a boon on this build. Thanks for the tip, barrel will go on after the upper is fit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You are taking on one of the projects I wish I had the ability and tools to do. Sorry I can’t add anything other than, “good luck!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom