• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I haven't owned a .357 is a while and now have the itch, so am looking for a recommendation. What I would really like appears to be "unobtainium": a 2.5 to 3.5 inch, medium frame sa/da, round butt 6 shot. In other words, the FBI issue Model 13 from the 1980s. Absent finding a rare used model 13, I would like to get as close to that as I can. Any suggestions?

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Smith & Wesson 66 or 686 (not 686+ unless you want 7 rounds) - I've got the 3" 686, gently used it was about $500 and is a super-smooth little shooter.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    S&W L frame is what you want. The K frame (686) is going to be the heavier duty bodies you see. I think the 64, 65, 66 are the L frames. They will handle .357 as well but if you are going to shoot it a lot some would suggest getting the 686.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    S&W Model 13s hardly every show up for sale, but you are in luck because there is a Model 13-2 in the classifieds right now:

https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=33878

This ad is for a 4 inch barrel. The Model 13 was made with 3 inch barrels for the FBI and other agencies, but the supply of those is going to be limited based on the old school policies of agencies permitting agents to buy their duty guns when those guns are replaced.

Plenty of retired agents are "relatively" young and still have them as home defense and are not letting go of them.

The Model 13-2 in our classifieds probably won't be there long.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you can find a Colt Lawman Mark III, take a look at it. They're maybe the best medium frame, fixed sight .357 snubbies you can find. They're tank tough and are made to shoot nearly unlimited amounts of .357 ammunition and not shake apart like some others might. I do agree a S&W Model 19 or 66 are definitely worth looking at but Model 19 snubbies go for a premium. Another good option is a Ruger Speed-Six if you can find one of those.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    If you must keep the barrel under 3.5" though, I'd guess probably a S&W 686 or the GP100 are the OP's best bets. Very comparable firearms, both not impossible to find in the shorter barrel length. GP100 is available new with 6-round cylinder, the 686 I think not, so used on that (replaced by 7-rd 686+ IIRC).

Can't go too wrong with either. Or that slightly longer 13-2 that R&R mentioned in the classifieds now, if I was looking for another wheelgun that would be on my list!

s/f, sir 8-)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If you must keep the barrel under 3.5" though, I'd guess probably a S&W 686 or the GP100 are the OP's best bets. Very comparable firearms, both not impossible to find in the shorter barrel length. GP100 is available new with 6-round cylinder, the 686 I think not, so used on that (replaced by 7-rd 686+ IIRC).

Can't go too wrong with either. Or that slightly longer 13-2 that R&R mentioned in the classifieds now, if I was looking for another wheelgun that would be on my list!

s/f, sir 8-)

Yeah, I was tempted because Model 13s just don't show up that often. The one is the classifieds is identified as "import marked", but no other info.

It could be one of these unusual Hong Kong Corruption Task Force guns...that would be interesting..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Commission_Against_Corruption_(Hong_Kong)

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    S&W L frame is what you want. The K frame (686) is going to be the heavier duty bodies you see. I think the 64, 65, 66 are the L frames. They will handle .357 as well but if you are going to shoot it a lot some would suggest getting the 686.

686 is the L.Frame

K-Frames

64 - 10 is 38 Spl only

13 -65

19-66 Combat Magnum would be the choice for a K frame and naturally it would be Bill Jordan Approved already. 4” and 2.5” snub should be easy to find. 3” are a very rare bird.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I haven't owned a .357 is a while and now have the itch, so am looking for a recommendation. What I would really like appears to be "unobtainium": a 2.5 to 3.5 inch, medium frame sa/da, round butt 6 shot. In other words, the FBI issue Model 13 from the 1980s. Absent finding a rare used model 13, I would like to get as close to that as I can. Any suggestions?

I just bought a very nice Model 13. You will find them on Gunbroker. For whatever reason, they do not command the collectible premium other models do, or so it seems. Well, 3" command more than 4", but they are not unobtanium at all.

Depends what you are willing to spend. You can get a gently or even barely used model 13 for $600-900 on gunbroker, which is what you pay for a spanking new Clinton hole model.

I love this one so much I may be forced to pick up more. Like I said, not rare or overpriced at all.

Attachments

• 20180316_144730.jpg
      20180316_144730.jpg
      91.1 KB · Views: 255

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    686 is the L.Frame

K-Frames

64 - 10 is 38 Spl only

13 -65

19-66 Combat Magnum would be the choice for a K frame and naturally it would be Bill Jordan Approved already. 4” and 2.5” snub should be easy to find. 3” are a very rare bird.

A K frame S&W (models 65 and 66 in stainless) would be my choices too.

S&W recently released the S&W 66 in a 2.75-inch barrel and I was tempted to get until seeing either a Luckygunner or Hickok45 review on the new version pointed out some QC issues.

I do have 3-inch 357 chambered Ruger SP101, S&W 686+, and Kimber K6S revolvers, and prefer the first two in this list, esp the SP101 for carry. However K-frame Smiths are so well balanced, and fit my hand well, that the 19/66 is something that I also want. One of my best shooting revolvers is one of the cheapest, a police trade-in S&W 64 with 4-inch barrel that I got for under $300 a few years ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Model 19 (K frame) was made in a 2 1/2" round butt version.

The Model 19 had adjustable sights, the Model 13 had fixed sights. Both available blued or nickle.

Very popular, shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    S&W M27 with the 3.5" barrel is a handsome firearm.

Not common, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom