• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nuts

May 30, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Hello all! I'm a new member, new to MD and new to gun ownership so this forum has been extremely helpful. I'm hoping you all can help me with a storage solution.

As the title indicates I live in an apartment so a huge fire proof safe isn't really an option, nor do I care to think about the level of effort required to move a thing like that. However, I do not like the idea of leaving my new AR15 sitting in a case that is easily picked up and taken away. I know that periodically maintenance personnel let themselves into the apts to check on various things and apts aren't super hard to break into.

Do you all have any suggestions for us apartment folks? I've looked at some regular, light rifle cabinets that I assume can be bolted to a stud in the wall, but thought I should check with the experienced crowd here before making a decision.

Thanks! :)

-Dave

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Get a construction job box. They aren't a safe, but sturdy enough that nobody is likely to spend enough time in your apartment, or have the tool necessary to break into it. Put wheels on it so you can roll it around. If you have a support beam or something else, you can chain it to that. If not, keep 600lbs of ammo in it and it isn't going anywhere. Plus you can throw a piece of plywood and table cloth over it and people wont even know what it is without serious closer inspection. You can use it as your kitchen table.

Another good plus...

I had a friend make me a pair of steel trailer hitch forks for the back of my truck that fit right in the legs on one that I have. I can mount the forks and slide and lock the box right on there and it is ready to bug out.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Another good plus...

I had a friend make me a pair of steel trailer hitch forks for the back of my truck that fit right in the legs on one that I have. I can mount the forks and slide and lock the box right on there and it is ready to bug out.

Thank you thats a damned good idea . Thats what some of my ammo is stored in as well . With some seriously heavy wheels lol .

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Thank you thats a damned good idea . Thats what some of my ammo is stored in as well . With some seriously heavy wheels lol .

I wish I could take credit for it, but it was the idea of the same guy that welded the forks for me. He may have gotten the idea elsewhere.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I wish I could take credit for it, but it was the idea of the same guy that welded to forks for me. He may have gotten the idea elsewhere.

Come to think of it that wouldn't be a bad idea for camping either to store food in to keep bears and coons out of it .

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Come to think of it that wouldn't be a bad idea for camping either to store food in to keep bears and coons out of it .

Having a couple of them is handy as can be. Put cheap weatherstripping around them and they stay water tight in the rain too. It's great for extra dry storage space when you have a pickup without a cap.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Also you could screw the safe/cabinet into the floor, if you choose the right screws and you're careful there shouldn't be much damage to the carpet when removed and even if there is damage it should be easy to fix.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Having a couple of them is handy as can be. Put cheap weatherstripping around them and they stay water tight in the rain too. It's great for extra dry storage space when you have a pickup without a cap.

Looks like Im going to be off to Durrett Sheppard for some steel lol .

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Check out horizontal safes. You can get cushions for them to make them into a bench. Several years ago I was visiting a friend and was sitting on his "bench". When he told me to get up so he could show me his guns I was surprised! Never thought it was a gun safe. :D

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Check Zantotti Armor. 6 interlocking panels around 75 lbs each. Treadlock makes horizontal safes but I think they're mounted in the floor. I think Dakota Safes are interlocking also.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Check out horizontal safes. You can get cushions for them to make them into a bench. Several years ago I was visiting a friend and was sitting on his "bench". When he told me to get up so he could show me his guns I was surprised! Never thought it was a gun safe. :D

or one of this.. :D
    012911_bedbunker_concealed_safe_t.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom