• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Slide mounted safeties suck, this compact is wide AF and relatively heavy, with no more capacity than something like a p365, hellcat, or glock 43x. It's also hammer fired, which adds the variable of debris blocking the hammer from working and the complexity of double action/single action over a striker fired design. I don't see any advantage to carrying this block of a gun when there are better alternatives out there.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I just installed the conversion on my subcompact to make the safety a decocker "G" model only. The part from Beretta has a lower profile than the original safety/decocker, and the swap took about 15 minutes. (Part of that was searching for the mini ball bearing that shot out of the OEM decocker.)

Question: is the LTT trigger job in a bag worthwhile for a this as a daily carry pistol? It's hard to gauge whether improvements to reset, break, and trigger weight are worth the additional investment since I carry it.

If you’re asking about the TJIAB for a PX4, it is only available for the full size and compact. They mention in the FAQ you can send your subcompact in. So that may make your decision easier…

I have no experience with a TJIAB kit but I ordered a 92 directly from them and it has a very very nice trigger without being too light.

Jul 20, 2022
    Hereford, MD
    Slide mounted safeties suck, this compact is wide AF and relatively heavy, with no more capacity than something like a p365, hellcat, or glock 43x. It's also hammer fired, which adds the variable of debris blocking the hammer from working and the complexity of double action/single action over a striker fired design. I don't see any advantage to carrying this block of a gun when there are better alternatives out there.
    All legit points.

I've owned this since before the O'Malley and Frosh anti gun package about 10 years ago. I wanted to support the folks employed down in Accokeek, and was (mildly) hopeful that Woollard would break our way.

While I'm figuring out which striker pistol for the long run, I'm exploring making this chunky SA/DA a functional daily carry. Plus, from what I'm seeing, the resale value doesn't appear to be very good, so exploring budget friendly tweaks seems reasonable.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Slide mounted safeties suck,
    Anything with slide mounted controls blow for self defense pistols. I've seen more than a few people on the firing line having to break their grip and use the support hand to operate the things. I've even seen them cradle the whole pistol with their support hand, break their strong hand grip just to be able to use their strong hand thumb to flip the things. You need a 4 inch thumb to do it properly lol

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I have a px4 storm in 40. Hence the username ;)
    I like the gun a lot. It was my first ever pistol purchase. It feels great. It will not be my carry gun. One, for some reason, I tend to shoot it to the left. Like 2 or 3 inches left at 20 yards or so. It's the only gun I shoot left, too. Everyone else shoots this gun straight, but not me. I even shoot my brother-in-law's compact px4 to the left. I may be cursed. I tried a Beretta apx the other day. I shoot that straight... I shoot the 92fs straight... Anyway, for that reason, I'm somewhat afraid to rely on it in a high stress situation. Two, that slide mounted safety. I know I could convert it to de-cocker only (and I just might have it done, too, someday), but as it is, I do not want to ever be in a situation where I need it right now, and find the safety is engaged.

I suppose, perhaps these are superstitious notions borne of not having ever been able to carry regularly, but there you have it.

I love the way it feels, and it IS fun to shoot, but my inability to be accurate enough with it and that stupid safety will keep it from being my carry gun.

I will be in the market for something striker fired once my permit comes through and i can get my hql to go with it.

Jul 20, 2022
    Hereford, MD
    Anything with slide mounted controls blow for self defense pistols. I've seen more than a few people on the firing line having to break their grip and use the support hand to operate the things. I've even seen them cradle the whole pistol with their support hand, break their strong hand grip just to be able to use their strong hand thumb to flip the things. You need a 4 inch thumb to do it properly lol

The "G" version (or conversion, in my case) makes that safety a de-cocker only.

But your main point about the physical mechanics to operate the safety are accurate, and why I have a P365 now. However, my spouse really likes that P365, and once her W&C permit arrives, that may be her preferred.

I very much think I'm likely to sell the PX4, but the resale value makes me wonder if it is worth the effort.

That said, it shoots REALLY well.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The "G" version (or conversion, in my case) makes that safety a de-cocker only.

But your main point about the physical mechanics to operate the safety are accurate, and why I have a P365 now. However, my spouse really likes that P365, and once her W&C permit arrives, that may be her preferred.

I very much think I'm likely to sell the PX4, but the resale value makes me wonder if it is worth the effort.

That said, it shoots REALLY well.
    Definitely keep it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom