• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gooseman07

Jan 25, 2021
    Can anyone point me in a direction for grouse in MD? I’m guessing west but the hunting guide talked about SoMD for upland. I don’t want your honey hole but am willing to work if I’m in the area. I have some intel of woodcock on the Eastern shore so hopefully later this week or next I can go check it out.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Can anyone point me in a direction for grouse in MD? I’m guessing west but the hunting guide talked about SoMD for upland. I don’t want your honey hole but am willing to work if I’m in the area. I have some intel of woodcock on the Eastern shore so hopefully later this week or next I can go check it out.

The grouse population is very low at this point in Md.I heard the West Nile virus has a lot to do with that.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    For the best Grouse hunting in Maryland you have to go to Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Quail outfitters are over the bridge. They are almost out of Quail and pheasant.
    We asked about Grouse last time we were out and they said never seen any in that area.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Grouse in Maryland...so...so...long ago. Like the timberdoodle and quail we used to hunt when I was in high school in Edgewood back in the early/mid-'70s.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Grouse are going to be Frederick County and west, with more birds the further west into the Maryland counties you go. Pheasant are nowadays found at Maryland game farms. Good luck elsewhere without a time machine. To a lesser but increasing extent, the same with quail. Rabbit, for all intents and purposes, is pretty much what's left of upland game in this state.
    Turkey though, if you want to count them, are more plentiful than ever. Because of a program of rocket net trapping of wild birds over the years, Maryland is now estimated to have 40,000 to 50,000 wild birds. That's 50 times what we had in this state 50 years ago.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    What about Pa or Maine as they referred to them as partridge.
    (

idk Maine.

PA is ok if you get there early and know someone who knows where all the hunting pressure isn't. I believe the state stocks Grouse. Its certainly a good place to train your dog for the big trip northwest.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I kicked 2 grouse in the loreals on public land this year that was 2 more than I have seen in the past 30 years in SOMD. I grew up in upstate NY was up visiting my mom in a nursing home recently. I went out to some of my old haunts saw lots of pheasants, grouse and quail. I still jump when the go off right next to you. When I lived in Maine, they were all plentiful. There has been some attempt over the years to stock pheasants and grouse in SOMD with little success.

gooseman07

Jan 25, 2021
    Thank you all for the reply’s. That’s what I was afraid of. Going to try PA later this month but have time off work before that trip. Thanks again.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    We used to hunt them and see a lot when I was younger and up into the 80's in the PA mountains. I saw my first 2 in I don't know how long this year. I heard it was the Asian Flu that killed them off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I kicked 2 grouse in the loreals on public land this year that was 2 more than I have seen in the past 30 years in SOMD. I grew up in upstate NY was up visiting my mom in a nursing home recently. I went out to some of my old haunts saw lots of pheasants, grouse and quail. I still jump when the go off right next to you. When I lived in Maine, they were all plentiful. There has been some attempt over the years to stock pheasants and grouse in SOMD with little success.

Not remotely being a wildlife biologist, but having stayed at a holiday in express.

I suspect what would really be needed is import a couple of thousand of each, close the season for a year or two, and release them across a fairly wide geographic area, kind of like trout stocking is done.

But first, put a bounty on fox and coyotes for a season or two to thin them out some more (do racoons eat them?)

Probably after the 2-3yr project they'd probably be much better established. Some is probably still habitat restoration. Maryland, for the most part, just doesn't have that many large dense forests anymore compared to a number of other states.

I actually saw a woodcock by my house the other day. First time I've ever seen one outside of a zoo or bird book. Really cool bird. Also dead on the ground. But still cool to see.

gooseman07

Jan 25, 2021
    Not remotely being a wildlife biologist, but having stayed at a holiday in express.

I suspect what would really be needed is import a couple of thousand of each, close the season for a year or two, and release them across a fairly wide geographic area, kind of like trout stocking is done.

But first, put a bounty on fox and coyotes for a season or two to thin them out some more (do racoons eat them?)

Probably after the 2-3yr project they'd probably be much better established. Some is probably still habitat restoration. Maryland, for the most part, just doesn't have that many large dense forests anymore compared to a number of other states.

I actually saw a woodcock by my house the other day. First time I've ever seen one outside of a zoo or bird book. Really cool bird. Also dead on the ground. But still cool to see.

I just said to my buddy, we need to coyote hunt! I haven’t been since moving back but need to keep my eye out. I could definitely clean up some foxes around my house, but neighbors might frown upon it.

I think your plan/thoughts sound good, I’m not a biologist either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom