• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    I believe the HQL exemption is limited to “active and retired” military. So active duty and drilling reservists are exempt. *Retired* military also exempt, but vets that didn’t retire are not. Whether they should be or not is a different question, but letter of the law appears to be that somebody who did their time and got out, but did not actually retire, is not exempt from the HQL requirement itself.

Edit: The law allows a valid military ID in lieu of a HQL at time of purchase, which only retired or current members would have.

Yeah. I did 4 years, but not officially retired.
    It does say "Veteran" on my "Super Secure" MD Driver's License though...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No getting around you ( the OP )needing an HQL in any case to recieve the Glock 21 . ( C&R eligible gun is different story .)

You have the training exemption . The HQL fee itself is $50 , plus the electronic fingerprinting is at your expense ,typically$50- 75 .

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    Update:
    A lot of life happened after I wrote in these posts. But I went into The MSP barracks
    a few weeks ago and asked for the forms to transfer the Glock 21 from my father to me, his son. I wanted to jump through the ridiculous hoops.
    The SGT at the desk said that the forms are online only.
    He said that I would need to bring my dad to the barracks.
    I told him that my father just turned 93 and that it would not be possible to do that.
    He asked me if anyone would contest the transfer of the firearm. I said "No."
    (I think he was asking if someone else might claim the gun?)
    He asked if this would be a purchase. I said "No." I told him that I already had possession of the Glock since he can't use it but we used to use it together at the range.
    I told him that I was an Army veteran and owned a different handgun that I legally purchased in Maryland previously.
    He mentioned that he was a veteran as well :)
    He said that since I am not legally prevented from possessing a handgun, there is no physical transfer and no monetary sale....

Just let it be.

I guess he thinks that no one will make a legal fuss.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have to visit either an FFL or MSP. No way around that. Will need to make sure you are HQL exempt if you don’t have one.

Necro Alert !

No . He doesn't have to go to the FFL . the FFL can come to him .

Seriously , my FFL friend semi- regularly makes house calls . Albeit usually for Estates and Collections , not individual pieces .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Update:
    A lot of life happened after I wrote in these posts. But I went into The MSP barracks
    a few weeks ago and asked for the forms to transfer the Glock 21 from my father to me, his son. I wanted to jump through the ridiculous hoops.
    The SGT at the desk said that the forms are online only.
    He said that I would need to bring my dad to the barracks.
    I told him that my father just turned 93 and that it would not be possible to do that.
    He asked me if anyone would contest the transfer of the firearm. I said "No."
    (I think he was asking if someone else might claim the gun?)
    He asked if this would be a purchase. I said "No." I told him that I already had possession of the Glock since he can't use it but we used to use it together at the range.
    I told him that I was an Army veteran and owned a different handgun that I legally purchased in Maryland previously.
    He mentioned that he was a veteran as well :)
    He said that since I am not legally prevented from possessing a handgun, there is no physical transfer and no monetary sale....

Just let it be.

I guess he thinks that no one will make a legal fuss.

Remember our saying here that if you ask ten Troopers the same question , you'll get fifteen different answers ? You just witnessed it in action .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Remember our saying here that if you ask ten Troopers the same question , you'll get fifteen different answers ? You just witnessed it in action .
    I’m sure the folks in LD would have some different answers. Trooper at the desk in the barracks is probably not qualified to provide legal advice on this topic.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I’m sure the folks in LD would have some different answers. Trooper at the desk in the barracks is probably not qualified to provide legal advice on this topic.
    The only MD State Police advice I would take on handgun transfers would be from the Licensing Division, Firearms Registration Section itself.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The OP should look into a W&C permit, then the HQL is free and included. Easy solution.

Included? I thought you still had to apply for HQL after you got the HGP No? But just did not need any extra training that the HGP training covered what was needed for HQL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Included? I thought you still had to apply for HQL after you got the HGP No? But just did not need any extra training that the HGP training covered what was needed for HQL
    Included in the sense that you don’t have to get the HQL prints, you don’t have to pay, take any class, or generally wait more than a day or so to get it. Once you have the W&C.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It sounds like the Trooper's advice amounted to, "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge." I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. I imagine the Licensing Division might have a more complicated perspective.

However I understand Maryland does not put a time limit on loans of handguns. Isn't the gun now on indefinite loan, and isn't that legal? At some point, it will become a matter of inheritance.

I know these laws might seem absurdly burdensome, but isn't it a small price to pay to live in a crime-free Utopia?

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    It sounds like the Trooper's advice amounted to, "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge." I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. I imagine the Licensing Division might have a more complicated perspective.

However I understand Maryland does not put a time limit on loans of handguns. Isn't the gun now on indefinite loan, and isn't that legal? At some point, it will become a matter of inheritance.

I know these laws might seem absurdly burdensome, but isn't it a small price to pay to live in a crime-free Utopia?
    Yeah! I got the "wink, wink" vibe myself. That's why I posted. Like you said, some
    lawyers may have a different perspective, but the Glock is on permanent loan and, at some point, will be inherited by me. It has been in my possession for a decade or more and I am not ineligible to own a handgun in MD and there has been no payment to transfer ownership of the gun.

The only things that have been harmed by the weapon have been paper targets.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah! I got the "wink, wink" vibe myself. That's why I posted. Like you said, some
    lawyers may have a different perspective, but the Glock is on permanent loan and, at some point, will be inherited by me. It has been in my possession for a decade or more and I am not ineligible to own a handgun in MD and there has been no payment to transfer ownership of the gun.

The only things that have been harmed by the weapon have been paper targets.
    At worst, do the inheritance forms for the 77r online once it becomes that. IIRC you don't need to go to the barracks for that. It is effectively a voluntary registration (except you are supposed to do it, so not really "voluntary")

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My dad has given me a few pistols. I never did a transfer or registered them to me since I'm just "borrowing" them. You can have a pistol that's not registered to you if it's not stolen and you are legally allowed to own a pistol. Just sayin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom