• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It is too bad Americans haven’t caught on to reflex suppressors. They can have an enormous internal volume, be light-weight, as the chamber behind the muzzle can be aluminum because it is low pressure. You can make the front of the suppressor shorter and with less baffles.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It is too bad Americans haven’t caught on to reflex suppressors. They can have an enormous internal volume, be light-weight, as the chamber behind the muzzle can be aluminum because it is low pressure. You can make the front of the suppressor shorter and with less baffles.
    Besides the AEM5 (and now the otter creek variant), they just don’t seem to sell well. Probably because they have to be made with a specific barrel profile in mind. I haven’t seen a ton of modern testing, but historically they weren’t thought to do much to drop at muzzle SPL much for the added weight. Now that at ear measurements are more common, reflex expansion chambers have been noted to lower at ear numbers and have lower back pressure.

Overall I’m not sure they’re really worth it vs modern flow through designs, but maybe someone will come out with something really innovative someday. If the eForm4 system actually works this time, the suppressor market is likely to grow quite a lot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Besides the AEM5 (and now the otter creek variant), they just don’t seem to sell well. Probably because they have to be made with a specific barrel profile in mind. I haven’t seen a ton of modern testing, but historically they weren’t thought to do much to drop at muzzle SPL much for the added weight. Now that at ear measurements are more common, reflex expansion chambers have been noted to lower at ear numbers and have lower back pressure.

Overall I’m not sure they’re really worth it vs modern flow through designs, but maybe someone will come out with something really innovative someday. If the eForm4 system actually works this time, the suppressor market is likely to grow quite a lot.

You don’t see many flow through designs out there, either. Are folks other than OSS making them now?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You don’t see many flow through designs out there, either. Are folks other than OSS making them now?

I don't think anyone else is making them but a buddy of mine really likes the OSS cans he has. This guy collect suppressors. He must have 50+.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don't think anyone else is making them but a biddy of mine really likes the OSS cans he has. This guy collect suppressors. He must have 50+.
    Got an OSS in ATF timeout now, check cashed 10/2. If I use the duration from my last stamp approval, I should get my OSS by my Birthday in early June. That would be an awesome birthday present. Really looking forward to using the flow-through design, all my research points to a great design and highly effective can.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I can definitely see why reflex supressors aren't a thing in the US. Too much diversity in the real estate behind the muzzle. Gas blocks, handguards, even different barrel ODs. I have very little real estate behind the muzzle of my 12.5" AR for a reflex. Nor do I have a lot of room under the handguard slide slide a suppressor into.

I could see a suppressor custom fit to an upper/loadout. Maybe. But not when there is a 200 tax stamp involved every time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I can definitely see why reflex supressors aren't a thing in the US. Too much diversity in the real estate behind the muzzle. Gas blocks, handguards, even different barrel ODs. I have very little real estate behind the muzzle of my 12.5" AR for a reflex. Nor do I have a lot of room under the handguard slide slide a suppressor into.

I could see a suppressor custom fit to an upper/loadout. Maybe. But not when there is a 200 tax stamp involved every time.

Mounts should be relatively easy to make. Nothing precise about the rear chamber. It’s not a suppressor, so no regulation. I’m going to build a few in the very near future. I think I have a good idea for pistol caliber AR’s but I’m going to try it before I run my mouth.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FWIW, OSS made a reflex suppressor but they don't in the latest generation. I have two in 5.56. (Wish one was 7.62.) Still need to get around to installing them... Keep thinking I'd build a specific SBR upper for them but I should just put it on one of my existing uppers.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    There are several. The new Sig Sauer cans are flow through (they should be available to the public pretty soon), CGS has redesigned their cans to incorporate it (their rifle cans also sound better than everyone else’s and meter extremely well on both ends), and I think the new KGM cans have a flow through component. There are two others others whose names escape me at the moment, along with one that already went out of business. I am not sure what Brevis is up to these days, seems they exited the civilian market, but some of their designs are flow through.

A number of other suppressor manufacturers like Griffin Armament have redesigned their cans to at least be low back pressure, which is a direct nod to the market disruption OSS has caused. Griffin in particular seems satisfied with being a lower cost alternative to Surefire suppressors, as they seem to spend a lot of time trying to sell their cans to police departments.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Most .22lr suppressors are good. Especially on a rifle. In my opinion get something that meets the weight/length parameters you’re looking for. Personally I think the Energetic Armament Nyx Mod 2 is the best “I don’t know exactly what I want” .22 suppressor.

Question for you regarding the "get something that meets the weight/length parameters you're looking for" Wouldn't most people be looking for the shortest/lightest and most quiet 22lr suppressor especially fist round pop?

Or are there 22lr suppressor that work better on handgun vs rifle? What about bolt rifle vs semiauto rifle?

I apologize for my naïve questions.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I suppress everything. ... They [suppressors] make shooting a significantly more pleasant experience. ...

This ^^^ is the number one reason I like using a suppressor. An non suppressed AR with a 16" barrel cam make me jump out of my skin, even with ear pro. As someone else point out, a subsonic 300 Black will "make you giddy".

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Question for you regarding the "get something that meets the weight/length parameters you're looking for" Wouldn't most people be looking for the shortest/lightest and most quiet 22lr suppressor especially fist round pop?

Or are there 22lr suppressor that work better on handgun vs rifle? What about bolt rifle vs semiauto rifle?

There are some modular cans you can buy. Then tune to your liking for sound and length. The best 22 can I ever got was the one that came free with a 7.62. I made a solvent trap one and it worked great. 22 and 300 sub is so fun.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Does loading a heavier bullet, say a 75gr bullet at 2700-2800fps vs 55gr bullet at 3200fps help the suppressor tame the sonic crack better/more?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Speed of sound(depending on altitude etc) is around 1125 fps, so anything that exceeds the speed of sound has a sonic boom or crack, or in this case, a ballistic crack. The only way to alleviate that is to load ammunition that travels slower than the speed of sound. Subsonics. The main problem you will run into is getting some(many) semi-autos to cycle subsonic ammo.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

Generally speaking you can use a shorter and lighter suppressor on a rifle and still get really great suppression, especially if using subsonic ammo. A great example would be the Rugged Mustang .22, which in short configuration weighs like 2.5 ounces and adds maybe 3 inches to a rifle, while still being hearing safe. There are a lot of muzzle devices that weigh more than that. On the other hand, the baffles are made of aluminum, and that makes cleaning more difficult.

On the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got suppressors made entirely of steel or titanium that are full auto rated for 5.7x28 and can be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath or using the dip, which you should not do with aluminum (generally speaking).

Basically if you’re dedicating a can to a plinking pistol, you want something that’s a longer form factor, and modularity is probably not a major concern. Materials would be to your preference based on cost, durability, and weight. If you’re dedicating a can to an 18” barrel rifle that will only ever shoot subsonic ammo, you can go with as short and light a can as possible. If you’re going to swap the can around and aren’t sure what you want, it makes sense to pay extra for modularity and some durability. Hence why I recommended the Energetic Armament Nyx Mod2 for a good multipurpose rimfire can.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Suppress it all. In rimfire, there is size/weight, FRP and cleaning/maintenence to consider. I clean cans with an ultrasonic, so Aluminum baffles are out IMO, they suck to clean, but can cut weight in 1/2 compared to steel. Have a Mask and love it, hard to find a better all around can, suppresses any barrel length well, cleans up easy, quiet, goot tone and little FRP. I do also have a Rugged Oculus, and like it also, it is modular and can be a 3" 4oz can or a 5" 6oz can depending if you add the extended section. It's awesome as it can be really short/light and hearing safe(but loud) on a handgun, but really excels on rifles where it sounds really good while just adding all of 2.5" to the length. You can get more cans, but if you snug them up well, and check every so often you can swap cans between rimfire platforms without much of an issue.

For rifle calibers, bolt actions are awesome, and can easily be hearing safe with supersonic ammo. Semi autos end up being a balance between the noise of the action and gas venting from the piston/BCG, the muzzle noise, and excess gas blowing back into the action. The more backpressure/muzzle suppression, the worse the port pop, and generally the larger the suppressor. This is where K cans or short low backpressure cans like the YHM turbo K, Sandman K or a few others are awesome, might only add 4" or so to the barrel length, can be hearing safe on a bolt action, and while the muzzle suppression can be substantial they usually have minimal port pop and backpressure. You can add adjustible gas blocks to reduce gas, some cans like OSS trade mediocre suppression for really low backpressure, and there are things like charging handles and gas deflectors that can cut down on gas to the face. Some newer modular designs like the Omega 36M(have one in NFA jail), Rugged radiant & micro30 like the Oculus rimfire can can be run as a 5" long "K" can great for semi-s or hunting or a full 7"-ish can for hearing safe use at the range. The thing with rifle cans is that they need to be torqued on with direct thread, or they come loose quickly, or you can use a QD/taper mount muzzle device, but they are proprietary, and while some can be swapped between manufacturers you usually have to pick a mounting system and stick with it to use a can with a particular host. I like the Griffin taper mount, there are a ton of brakes, comps and flash hiders, they make adapters that work with 3rd party cans, the system is reliable, adds minimal length/weight and is pretty simple.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    fbi_surveillance_van & alucard0822,

Thank you both for helpful and insightful posts! I'm learning a lot. I also got a Dead Air Mask 22lr suppressor in NFA jail. It's my first suppressor!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Speed of sound(depending on altitude etc) is around 1125 fps, so anything that exceeds the speed of sound has a sonic boom or crack, or in this case, a ballistic crack. The only way to alleviate that is to load ammunition that travels slower than the speed of sound. Subsonics. The main problem you will run into is getting some(many) semi-autos to cycle subsonic ammo.

NASA thinks a supersonic passenger jet that nearly eliminates the sonic boom can be made with the correct shape. Why not boolits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom