New York rifle and Pistol case: what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I too am wondering how the scotus mandate breakdown will effect the gun case.

6/3 5/4 in favor of the 2a. But what level of clarity/firmness of ruling
    4/2/3 some weak knee “compromise”
    4/5 2a loss because 4 wanted a very strong pro 2a ruling and overplayed and 2 go anti

About 5 months until we get the real ruling

JMHO

It will be a narrow ruling probably 6-3.

Two main things will come out of it.

1. They will rule that Self Defense is the only reason needed to obtain a permit or license. No other need will be required.

They won’t rule or comment on other requirements of a permit such as training and BG checks.

2. They will make comment on the level of scrutiny to be used going forward. Strict scrutiny, or that in combination with text, tradition and history.

Because of Young V Hawaii being put on hold. Comment will be made in regards to conceal/open carry. Might be said in this case, or used in conjunction with Young v Hawaii in a per curium opinion.

MHO, SCOTUS will give a state the option for open or concealed as a shall issue, but won’t require the state to do both. Allowing a state to either issue permits for OC or CC if they choose.

I think the other cases they have put on hold such as the magazine ban, and AWB will be decided per Curium based on what their opinion was in this case on the level of scrutiny.

Some pessimists here want to say we haven’t won a thing and we will come out losers. But I doubt that based on other very conservative opinions they have done so far. Such as hold up Texas abortion law so far.

Will it be 6-3 or 5-4 who knows.

If you go listen to the arguments, what was asked, and comments made. We are looking good.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    JMHO

It will be a narrow ruling probably 6-3.

Two main things will come out of it.

1. They will rule that Self Defense is the only reason needed to obtain a permit or license. No other need will be required.

They won’t rule or comment on other requirements of a permit such as training and BG checks.

2. They will make comment on the level of scrutiny to be used going forward. Strict scrutiny, or that in combination with text, tradition and history.

Because of Young V Hawaii being put on hold. Comment will be made in regards to conceal/open carry. Might be said in this case, or used in conjunction with Young v Hawaii in a per curium opinion.

MHO, SCOTUS will give a state the option for open or concealed as a shall issue, but won’t require the state to do both. Allowing a state to either issue permits for OC or CC if they choose.

I think the other cases they have put on hold such as the magazine ban, and AWB will be decided per Curium based on what their opinion was in this case on the level of scrutiny.

Some pessimists here want to say we haven’t won a thing and we will come out losers. But I doubt that based on other very conservative opinions they have done so far. Such as hold up Texas abortion law so far.

Will it be 6-3 or 5-4 who knows.

If you go listen to the arguments, what was asked, and comments made. We are looking good.

Very optimistic, but I hope you are right.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Very optimistic, but I hope you are right.

Me too….

But I have been pretty much on target with how they have ruled on some of their cases this year allready. Maybe not so much the details. But I pretty much figured they would rule against osha, and for HHS on mask mandates, I figured they would leave Texas abortion bill intact. Same thing on a few of their other cases. I haven’t been surprised yet this year.

They are pretty much on target doing the ultra conservative thing with their cases.

I really doubt that they will do anything radical when it comes to firearms, in either direction.

They could have easily denied cert and let NY have its way. But they didn’t. They took the case.

There are more good signs in our favor then bad signs.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Letter from the Commonwealth of Virginia to the Clerk notifying the Court of the Commonwealth’s change in position of Commonwealth of Virginia submitted.
    http://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP... of Virginia to Clerk in 20-843_1.28.2022.pdf
    20220128182129817_Letter%20of%20Virginia%20to%20Clerk%20in%2020-843_1.28.2022-page-001.jpg

20220128182129817_Letter%20of%20Virginia%20to%20Clerk%20in%2020-843_1.28.2022-page-002.jpg

20220128182129817_Letter%20of%20Virginia%20to%20Clerk%20in%2020-843_1.28.2022-page-003.jpg

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Here’s hoping Virginia’s change of heart has better success than did those states that asked that their initiation electoral vote submission be returned because some hanky panky was noted in how the process was handled.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Rosenberg quoted in an article lying about this case "allowing people to carry guns with no requirements" if it's decided as expected. Fvck I hate liars

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Rosenberg quoted in an article lying about this case "allowing people to carry guns with no requirements" if it's decided as expected. Fvck I hate liars

They don't have anything else so they'll claim drug dealers can carry guns with complete immunity anywhere they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom