• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Task lead for my project is looking for a clays O/U shotgun. He is willing to go used. That being said, I think he would be happy with a new Tristar.

I told him a nice used Browning or Beretta would probably be a good bet. What specifically do you guys suggest, new or used? I doubt he would spend more than $1200, but you never know.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’ve picked up some excellent o/u’s off cards thumbtacked in the “For Sale” section of the bulletin board in the clubhouse at PG Skeet & Trap …

“Buy once, cry once” when it comes to an o/u one will be shooting more than several times a year (Browning, Beretta)

Personally, I lean toward Brownings as the Citoris are extremely DIY-friendly when it comes to swapping pins, springs or any other parts in to / out of the receiver … and Citori parts are readily accessible everywhere (as well as direct from Browning)!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m a Browning fan. Beretta makes a good gun, but they don’t fit me quite right. Try both, they fit differently.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The three most important things.

Fit, Fit, and FIT.

Whichever quality O/U fits him best.

I fit Brownings best.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If it is an "entry level" shotgun, then it really will come down to fit because most of those do not come with an adjustable stock for LOP, etc. As others have said, it really does come down to fit/feel. The Brownings feel short for me in LOP, or at least they did in the early 90s when I switched over to Beretta. I switched to Beretta/Benelli in 1994 and have never looked back. Meanwhile, my buddy in law school loved himself some Browning.

He should try some guns out. Maybe shoot some that friends already own and/or rent some from clays ranges and try them out. When buying a new vehicle, at least you get to test drive it. Not so much with guns unless you borrow or rent something.

Marc32

Sep 1, 2013
    MoCo
    I own a couple different brand shotguns, Benelli, Browning, Remington, and CZ. I’ve been impressed with my CZ shotgun. Pricing is definitely lower compared to the other brands I listed. I feel the quality is right up there with Benelli. Something you may want to look at as well.

rehtlaw

Nov 28, 2009
    So. MD. area
    I picked up a used SKB 505 {made in japan} maybe 20 years ago from a gentleman at PG skeet and am very satisfied with it. The 505 was a field model and will take 3 inch shells so I figure shooting target loads should never wear it out.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I picked up a used SKB 505 {made in japan} maybe 20 years ago from a gentleman at PG skeet and am very satisfied with it. The 505 was a field model and will take 3 inch shells so I figure shooting target loads should never wear it out.

Japanese made SKBs were generally pretty good guns. I'm not as sure about those that are currently made in Turkey, but have read many parts are interchangable. I just know that Turkey is the China of guns. If a company keeps after the factory about QC, they can be quite good. But they are often little more than junk.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If his budget is ~$1200... check out the Browning Cynergy CX. It's an excellent shotgun and can be had for only a small amount more than that, and he's got the benefit of something he won't likely ever need to replace.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/browning-cynergy-cx-over-under-shotgun

I know it's listed at $1649 but I've seen it pretty regularly for sub $1500. If you catch it at the right time, you can sometimes find a good Browning rebate on top of it.

I shoot absolutely lights out with mine and it handles beautifully with it's low profile receiver; negating my need for any comb adjustments for proper fit.

For budget guns I have heard pretty good things about CZ O/U's.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    OP, if you have not already purchased an Over/Under then defiantly check out CZ. A year or so ago BPS had a special on one that was $700 and I bought one. It's very nice and a tight action. I showed it to some long time Trap shooters and they were impressed for a $700 O/U. It's very much like the Drake but with another feature or two. On the CZ website they show some nice Sporting guns within your price range.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Stay away from the Tristar. Some are fine and others aren’t. Your advice about a used Browning or Beretta is exactly what I advise new shooters looking for an O/U. I have 35+ years of experience shooting clay targets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom