Re-doing old shotgun, cold blue or cerakote?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I have my grandad's old 20 gauge bolt shotgun. Gun is worth very little monetarily, but very much in sentimental value to me.

Wood just needed some cleaning, but the barrel was badly rusted and most of the original bluing was gone. I have everything stripped to white and the rust removed. My original plan was to just cold blue it using Oxpho blue. Now I am second guessing my plan, and thinking about spending the $ to cerakote it for better durability.

Any arguments for or against either finish? I am truly torn on which way to go with it.

I already have a bolt action 20 gauge from my OTHER grandfather, thinking about passing this one on to my SIL when I get it back together.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I refinished a lightly rusted 1100. I sprayed it in duracoat and was overall happy with the finish. Not as expensive as ceracoat but it covered the pitting better then bluing.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Rust bluing can give a beautiful finish to rival the best hot bluing, if you are patient.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big difference in $$ between Oxpho and CeraKote .

Professional grade cold blue won't make it look brand new , but can make 100% improvement over how it looks now . And take durability with a grain of salt . Once you have to Oxpho, you can easily touch up once a year or whatever .

Twas me , I'd try the Oxpho ( or preferable T-4 ) and see if they results were sufficiently pleasing . If not , then proceede with Cerakote or Dura Coat .

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I say Oxpho-Blue

I had an H&R single shot 12 gauge very similar situation. I used the Oxpho-Blue. It came out very nice. Actually, I did it a few years ago, it's holding up very well, so well that I forgot I did it.
    If you cold blue it and you don't like it, you can easily buff it off and cerakote it later. If the cold blue wears off some you can easily redo it. If you use Oxpho-Blue and add to it again a few weeks later, it'll come out even better.
    I found different steel will take different cold blue differently. Oxpho-Blue seems to get darker as you dry it off then lightly buff it, this is a necessary step. T-4 Dichopan sometimes works better on some metals if you buff it with steel wool while still wet. Sometimes the Dichopan will turn spotty purple after you think you have it good, just rub it again, it'll usually come out fine.
    I use both, sometimes one works better than the other but if I only used one kind it would be Oxpho-blue and for a big job like a whole barrel definitely Oxpho-blue.
    I wouldn't spend the money on Cerakote, you're turning into something else not restoring it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My side by side testing always favored T-4 for more even coloring , but I didn't try every possible steel and heat treatment .

Either Oxpho or T-4 is far better than any mass market cold blue .

Once upon a time I did a complete T-4 blueing on a 0% finish S&W , that then had daily holster wear . 10 minute of touch up every cpl months .

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    potassium nitrate (stump remover) bluing works really well and can be done at home. Biggest challenge is making a fixture to hold the barrel and heating it. Lots of info on the interweb.

I did a pistol many years ago and its still looks nice. The finish is more black than blue.

-Russ

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My thought is blue on any way over anything else That makes it not look as it originally did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    gonna try my hand at cold blueing it. 1st time doing this, but I figure if it doesn't work out can always strip and get professional help. waiting on Oxpho blue and Van's blue to show up to see which one works best on this metal.

fyi, maybe this is common knowledge, but was new discovery to me...
    soaking parts in Evapo-rust not only removed the rust, but also stripped the existing blueing without harsh chemicals or abrasives... which was great for what I wanted. Makes sense to me as blueing is just a controlled rust treatment.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    got it done and back together today. I am very happy with end result. grandpap's old shotgun has a new lease on life.

p.s. - apparently grandpap repaired the bolt using a nail instead of a roll pin. use what ya got I guess. I didn't have the heart to swap it out as it's part of the history, so I just blued the bent over nail...lol

Attachments

• Grandpap Jims 20ga.jpg
      Grandpap Jims 20ga.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 182

Eye hart 762

Apr 8, 2019
    got it done and back together today. I am very happy with end result. grandpap's old shotgun has a new lease on life.

p.s. - apparently grandpap repaired the bolt using a nail instead of a roll pin. use what ya got I guess. I didn't have the heart to swap it out as it's part of the history, so I just blued the bent over nail...lol

That turned out phenomenal. Nice job

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I've found Van's seems to make a better (darker and more blue-black) result than Ox-pho which seems to turn out more purple to my eyes. Of course, that might, also, have had to do with the steel alloy of the barrel I was attempting to blue.
    But, which ever you used came out looking nice. Congrats, way to keep Gramp's legacy alive.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

That looks great. Now get out there and shoot it!

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have my grandad's old 20 gauge bolt shotgun. Gun is worth very little monetarily, but very much in sentimental value to me.

Wood just needed some cleaning, but the barrel was badly rusted and most of the original bluing was gone. I have everything stripped to white and the rust removed. My original plan was to just cold blue it using Oxpho blue. Now I am second guessing my plan, and thinking about spending the $ to cerakote it for better durability.

Any arguments for or against either finish? I am truly torn on which way to go with it.

I already have a bolt action 20 gauge from my OTHER grandfather, thinking about passing this one on to my SIL when I get it back together.

A bud stripped an old single shot 16 gage down to bare metal. He did something quite unique. He used a high temperature ceramic primer and ceramic coating which he used on motorcycle exhaust pipes. He tried this because the ceramic coating lasted for years on the bike exhaust pipes. He used black with a white ceramic primer. It came out flat black and semi smooth. The only thing is that there 3 different baking temperatures with the final bake at 600 degrees for 30 minutes. He used his BBQ grill as he did for the bike exhaust pipes to bake the barrel. He put a wire though the barrel and suspended it on each end in the grill. It looked really nice, and it produced a tough no chipping and non-rusting coating.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    so, which cold blue brand did you use?

I mostly used Van's on everything. as I recall, there was one small part that was stubborn, and I used oxpho on that. I really liked the Van's application method of keeping the part wet until desired color is reached vs many individual coats of Oxpho. I heated the parts prior to blueing. some of the small parts I just dropped into a cup of van's and let them soak for a couple mins and that worked great.

I made a trough and lined it with contractor trash bag to soak the barrel and other parts. Used Evapo-rust. Initially did that to dissolve the large rust spots on the barrel, then realized it stripped the blueing also... had a 'duh' moment when realized blueing was a rust treatment so then it made sense to me.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    A bud stripped an old single shot 16 gage down to bare metal. He did something quite unique. He used a high temperature ceramic primer and ceramic coating which he used on motorcycle exhaust pipes. He tried this because the ceramic coating lasted for years on the bike exhaust pipes. He used black with a white ceramic primer. It came out flat black and semi smooth. The only thing is that there 3 different baking temperatures with the final bake at 600 degrees for 30 minutes. He used his BBQ grill as he did for the bike exhaust pipes to bake the barrel. He put a wire though the barrel and suspended it on each end in the grill. It looked really nice, and it produced a tough no chipping and non-rusting coating.

Duracoat was my plan-B if my attempt at reblue didn't work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom